The Brown’s Ranch Road segment is the main artery leading out of the Brown’s Ranch trailhead and connects with dozens of other trails in the newly developed northern region
of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. The trailhead opened June 10, 2013 but official opening ceremony will be October 19th.
The sandy, flat path has been used by desert dwellers including ancient Hohokam and more recently mid-century ranchers. In fact the stretch of road from Dynamite Boulevard to the parking lot is the exact route for cattle drives that ran from the ranch into Scottsdale until the 1960’s. Archaeologist Thomas Wright published Brown’s Ranch site info that dates the earliest evidence of human existence to 7000 B.C.[2,3]
Much later the land was seasonally irrigated for agriculture by the Hohokam from 500 B.C. to 1300 A.D. The Brown family purchased the land in 1917 and it was a working ranch until 1970. At its peak Brown’s Ranch encompassed 44,000 acres supporting 3,000 to 5,000 head of cattle.[2,4]
The land was acquired in 1999 by the City of Scottsdale and the project to develop the trails and trailhead cost $3.8 million dollars funded by a 2004 Preserve Sales Tax.
From the trail head, after you read more details of the history of the area
follow signs for Brown’s Ranch Road trail. The trail segment is 2 miles one way and is an easy, wide path ideal for trail running, biking, and horse back riding. Add elevation gain to this segment at 0.4 miles from trailhead going northwest up to Brown’s Mountain trail and summit (marker #BT1). Watch for the intersection
with the Corral Trail at 1.4 miles (marker #CL1) for the turnoff to the right to see the ruins of the Brown’s Ranch
including the footprint of the northern ranch house
, corrals, stock tanks, blacksmith’s shed, bunkhouse, and other structures.
If you are looking for larger loops, connect with trails leading to Cholla Mountain
and Little Granite Mountain
. There are plans underway to connect these northern McDowell region trails with the more mountainous southern region trails (Windgate, Bell, Quartz, Sunrise)
. The Maricopa Trail
will eventually connect 420 miles of trails in 10 parks throughout Phoenix and Scottsdale including both southern and northern regions of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve.
- Mountain Lines Vol 20(1), Fall 2013. McDowell Sonoran Conservancy magazine.
- From educational plaques at Brown’s Ranch trail head
- Wright TE., The Arizona Archaeologist;2002, “Archaeological testing of AZ U:1:25 (ASM), the Brown's Ranch Rock Shelter site, in northern Scottsdale, Maricopa County, Arizona “.
- History of DC Ranch http://www.thehortonteam.com/custompages_reports/history_of_dc_ranch.htm