Username
Password
Stay on Help
Trail/Area Specific Grand Canyon Forum
Backcountry Use Plan Grand Canyon
Linked Descriptions None

Backcountry Use Plan Grand Canyon

Postby Canyonram » May 13 2011 3:06 am

The Park Service is gathering 'Scoping' comments from the public regarding the update of the 1988 Management Plan for the Backcountry at GC. The Notice of Intent for an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) was published in the Federal Register on April 27, 2010. The gathering of 'scoping' comments is meant to gather comments as to what the public is concerned about/would like to see in the new Management Plan.

Information regarding the EIS and the Backcountry Use portion is available here:
http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cf ... ntID=39899

The old 1988 Management Plan is linked on the above page.

Submit your comments online here:
http://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm ... ntID=39899

Scoping comments will be accepted for 60 days, through June 27, 2011. Written comments may be submitted via the internet at http://parkplanning.nps.gov/grca (the preferred method); by mail to Superintendent Grand Canyon National Park, Attn: Backcountry Management Plan, P.O. Box 129, Grand Canyon, Arizona 86023; by hand-delivery to Park Headquarters, 1 Village Loop, Grand Canyon, Arizona or at one of the open house meetings.

We've had some good conversations on the forum regarding WagBags, Noise, etc. and this is the time to bring the issues to the attention of the Park Service.
Canyonram

Seed Sowin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 0

Re: Backcountry Use Plan Grand Canyon

Postby azbackpackr » May 13 2011 5:46 am

Glad it's available for awhile, since I'm just finishing the semester. In addition to wag bags and noise, a less antiquated permit application process, via email. I used to have a land line and a fax machine. I still have the machine, but no land line. I always got my permits via fax, which I purchased for that purpose.

The Park's River Permit Office has a pretty good set-up, and it is all online. Very easy to use, even for me.

I have never tried for a walk-in backpacking permit, but plan on it a week from today for Cottonwood. If I can't get one I will car camp and day hike.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 65
Photosets 204
Triplogs 390

Postby Canyonram » May 13 2011 5:29 pm

If you show up as a 'solo' hiker, you have a good chance of drawing a permit. Instead of asking for a particular site, just ask for 'What's open?' Of course, that means you are prepared for any of the open sites. Only danger with the walk-in requests is that you might get the same location every time instead of getting to select (guess who went down Grandview on three consecutive hikes). LOL.
Canyonram

Seed Sowin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 0

Postby azbackpackr » May 13 2011 6:47 pm

I'll be going to the N. Rim office, though. And my car won't make it out Swamp Point, or I'd do Powell Plateau, I think. At least, I have been told my car won't make it out there. There aren't too many backpacking trips off the N. Rim that aren't reached via long dirt roads.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 65
Photosets 204
Triplogs 390

Postby Canyonram » May 14 2011 5:20 am

If you are hiking solo, you still might be able to get a Cottonwood permit with a walk-up request.

I'm curious to see if the NPS ever allows for Inner Camping permits registration via online. They've struggled for years with the commercial guide services drawing an excess number of permits. Potential for abuse of an online signup process. It would be nice if you could log on before you head over to the North Rim to see if there are any sites open.
Canyonram

Seed Sowin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 0

Postby Canyonram » May 14 2011 5:23 am

Grand Canyon News with an article posted on the comments on Backcounrty Use / Grand Canyon

http://grandcanyonnews.com/main.asp?Sec ... TM=30079.3
Canyonram

Seed Sowin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 0

Postby azbackpackr » May 14 2011 6:29 am

I'm not too concerned one way or the other. I have never actually been to the Park area of N. Rim. I have hiked only South Canyon and Bill Hall Trail, neither of which are accessed via the Park proper. I can car camp and day hike, if no permit is available. Just exploring the area will be new for me.
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 65
Photosets 204
Triplogs 390

Postby John9L » May 14 2011 11:39 am

There is some good info in this thread. I've been researching acquiring a permit in the Grand Canyon and I'm really disappointed how inefficient the system is. In this day and age there is no excuse. They at least need an online resource that has details about availability. Yosemite has a good system. You can check the website below for whats open. Then you can actually call and talk to a real human being about the permit. It took a few tries to get past the busy signal but I eventually got through and was able to get my permit for the first day of my choice.

http://www.yosemiteconservancystore.com ... ddates.htm
John9L

Party Light Kopelli

Descriptions 5
Routes 86
Photosets 139
Triplogs 761

Postby azbackpackr » May 14 2011 6:37 pm

I haven't had any trouble getting a permit. I always put in for it on the first day, four months in advance, and I always pick less popular places. I always give them quite a few different choices of dates and places that I will accept, also.
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 65
Photosets 204
Triplogs 390

Postby Canyonram » May 23 2011 6:33 am

The public comment meetings on the GC Management Plan:

Wednesday, May 25, 3:30-5:30 p.m.
Shrine of the Ages
South Rim, Grand Canyon National Park

Thursday, May 26, 4:30-6:30 p.m.
Kanab Middle School
690 E. Cowboy Dr., Kanab, UT

Wednesday, June 1, 4:30-6:30 p.m.
High Country Conference Center
201 W. Butler Ave, Flagstaff

For more information, please contact Alicyn Gitlin at (928) 774-6514 or alicyn.gitlin@sierraclub.org.
Canyonram

Seed Sowin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 0

Postby Canyonram » Jun 08 2011 7:56 am

Summary article in the Arizona Daily Sun for the public comment meeting held in Flagstaff :

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/articl ... e418e.html
Canyonram

Seed Sowin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 0

HAZ Forum Guidelines
Support your opinion with facts.

Responding to members you disagree with is permitted if courteous.

Making first time posters or anyone feel unwelcome on site is unacceptable.

Do not post photos or a journal of a trip in the forum.
Use the Post button found in the upper left corner of every page.

Linking offsite is spam unless... [ read more ]

Return to Grand Canyon Forum