Password
Stay on Help
HAZ - Member Related
Good Eats, Shameless Commercial Plug
Personal Topics :: Less Hiking/Outdoors/etc
Linked Descriptions None

Good Eats, Shameless Commercial Plug

Postby Sredfield » Sep 22 2009 9:08 pm

Had dinner at "Pizza A Metro," 2336 W Thomas Road, tonight. Very tasty little hole in the wall Italian place. Three of us did major damage to the meter-long pizza.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.
Sredfield

Volunteer Kokopelli

Descriptions 3
Routes 18
Photosets 51
Triplogs 304

Re: Good Eats, Shameless Commercial Plug

Postby berkforbes » Sep 23 2009 8:49 am

def have to check this out.. thanks
"Rather love, than money, than fame, give me truth."
-Henry David Thoreau
berkforbes

Goatapelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 4
Triplogs 63

Postby azpride » Sep 23 2009 8:52 am

Sounds amazing.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com
azpride

Luminosopelli

Descriptions 15
Routes 2
Photosets 144
Triplogs 385

Postby te-wa » Sep 23 2009 8:59 am

one place that no one would suspect - a decent wood fired cheese pizza for under $10 - and quite tasty... get ready... BASHA'S
since the re-model of our local bashas that took it from an outdated, ghetto looking store (can anyone say food city?) the new Bashas of Ftn Hills looks like it was built around the deli.. and if you dont like the idea of pizza tonight, the meat department is the finest in town.
who knew?
i'm not really a squirrel
te-wa

Squirrelock Holmes

Descriptions 3
Routes 0
Photosets 65
Triplogs 165

Postby azpride » Sep 23 2009 9:16 am

te-wa wrote:one place that no one would suspect - a decent wood fired cheese pizza for under $10 - and quite tasty... get ready... BASHA'S

Yeah, I keep seeing a sign for that on the bus stop by my work, which is weird, because I work in the heart of South Phoenix. The closest Basha's is probably in Chandler, as most establishments are afraid to build anything in this area.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

azpride

Luminosopelli

Descriptions 15
Routes 2
Photosets 144
Triplogs 385

Postby chumley » Sep 23 2009 10:00 am

Does a meter of pizza come with a yard of beer?

In fact, since the Mill Ave Beer Co closed years ago, where can one purchase a yard of beer in phx anymore? (I always preferred the 1/2 yard. Easier to drink, and no fear of it getting warm before finishing it).

Oh, and there's a little-known 5-star pizza place in Tempe (gourmet-Italian style) ... many say better than Bianco. Brick-oven goodness! NE of Baseline and Rural in the back corner of the plaza. "Classic Italian Pizza". Google, Urbanspoon, Yelp, Citysearch ... whatever. Check it out. Fantastic.
Everybody else likes this. Like it too...
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 49
Routes 264
Photosets 348
Triplogs 612

Postby te-wa » Sep 23 2009 10:10 am

chumley wrote:In fact, since the Mill Ave Beer Co closed years ago, where can one purchase a yard of beer in phx anymore? (I always preferred the 1/2 yard. Easier to drink, and no fear of it getting warm before finishing it).

uh, a little place called the "Yardhouse" :sl:
te-wa

Squirrelock Holmes

Descriptions 3
Routes 0
Photosets 65
Triplogs 165

Postby chumley » Sep 23 2009 10:30 am

Thanks Mike- I forgot about that. I've actually never been to a Yardhouse. I try to avoid chains and packaged corporate BS. Even Oregano's has lost its touch, and they have, what? 8 locations...
Everybody else likes this. Like it too...
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 49
Routes 264
Photosets 348
Triplogs 612

Postby te-wa » Sep 23 2009 10:39 am

mmm pazookie!
i dont do chains either. it makes me ill to see all the people that will drive by El Bravo on their way to Garcia's. sickening, truly sickening.

the yardhouse is totally polished.. and to top it off im not a big fan of trendy "fusion" food unless its really good, and the yardhouse is not. my 2¢
te-wa

Squirrelock Holmes

Descriptions 3
Routes 0
Photosets 65
Triplogs 165

Postby Jim Lyding » Sep 23 2009 3:07 pm

Pizza a Metro is the real deal. I live less than a mile from there (yes, it's actually safe to live in central Phoenix), and it's worth the trip.
"Oak-town is the city of dope...couldn't be saved by John the Pope"
Fran & Kimo please keep watching over us with your aloha spirit so that we may remain safe. A Hui Hou Kakou
Jim Lyding

Sheakopelli

Descriptions 93
Routes 193
Photosets 236
Triplogs 339

Postby writelots » Sep 24 2009 2:56 pm

Plug for Epic Pizza, which conveniently enough if on your way back into town from the Catalina Highway - I think it's there on Sabino Canyon rd. Great meal after you get off the mountain!
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin
writelots

Wendipelli

Descriptions 17
Routes 20
Photosets 178
Triplogs 258

Postby jdsteele » Oct 05 2009 2:17 pm

+1 for Classic Italian Pizza

But my new favorite is: "Crust" (Pizza and Wine). One location on Indian Bend/Hayden, right next to Sakana and new one downtown somewhere. The pizza is great, the "rolatini" (calzone) are awesome and the bruschetta (they call it "tomato tartar") is THE BOMB!! Don't leave without getting the bruschetta, trust me.
jdsteele

Lil' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 1
Photosets 15
Triplogs 14

Postby Sredfield » Oct 05 2009 7:45 pm

I'll add another here, The Railroad Cafe in Flagg, for breakfast. I had biscut gravey the way it is supposed to be.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.
Sredfield

Volunteer Kokopelli

Descriptions 3
Routes 18
Photosets 51
Triplogs 304

Postby oneka » Oct 27 2009 12:36 pm

Good eats in downtown Phoenix:
Cherry Blossom Noodle Cafe - 914 E. Camelback Road
BreadFruit - 108 E. Pierce Street
Anikó Mikó

oneka

Lil' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 896

Postby joe bartels » Jul 17 2010 7:08 pm

Since te-wa plugged a grocery store I can't stand I'll plug a drug store I can't stand :D
I've been a die hard Breyers Butter Pecan fan w/choc syrup or fudge for some time. After recently getting a blind test on something I'd likely never try I'm hooked.
Walgreens brand ice cream... Bear Claw
Similar to German chocolate without coconut, just a rich silky chocolate caramel slice of heaven.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!
joe bartels

teva joe

Descriptions 198
Routes 559
Photosets 707
Triplogs 2,436

Postby azpride » Jul 17 2010 7:12 pm

Sredfield wrote:Had dinner at "Pizza A Metro," 2336 W Thomas Road, tonight. Very tasty little hole in the wall Italian place. Three of us did major damage to the meter-long pizza.

I actually had Pizza a Metro a couple months back (after I responded last year saying I'd check it out... Forgot about this thread then had it based off an unrelated recommendation). Amazing food. I got the vodka penne and split a pizza with a few friends. Wow....

azpride

Luminosopelli

Descriptions 15
Routes 2
Photosets 144
Triplogs 385

Postby azpride » Jul 17 2010 7:14 pm

joe bartels wrote:Since te-wa plugged a grocery store I can't stand I'll plug a drug store I can't stand :D
I've been a die hard Breyers Butter Pecan fan w/choc syrup or fudge for some time. After recently getting a blind test on something I'd likely never try I'm hooked.
Walgreens brand ice cream... Bear Claw
Similar to German chocolate without coconut, just a rich silky chocolate caramel slice of heaven.

Anyone else ever notice that drugstores immediately put whatever you purchase in a plastic bag, no matter what it is you purchase? I've purchased a single toothbrush and been handed a plastic bag and 2 foot long receipt with it.

azpride

Luminosopelli

Descriptions 15
Routes 2
Photosets 144
Triplogs 385

Postby Al_HikesAZ » Jul 17 2010 11:25 pm

azpride wrote:Anyone else ever notice that drugstores immediately put whatever you purchase in a plastic bag, no matter what it is you purchase? I've purchased a single toothbrush and been handed a plastic bag and 2 foot long receipt with it.
I don't seem to have that problem. But I always look at the woman at the counter at my drugstore and say: मैं प्लास्टिक की थैली नहीं करना चाहते धन्यवाद. She always looks at me a little funny but she immediately puts the plastic bag down and hands me my item(s).
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.
Al_HikesAZ

Uncle Jack

Descriptions 11
Routes 89
Photosets 194
Triplogs 232

Postby The Eagle » Jul 19 2010 11:59 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:मैं प्लास्टिक की थैली नहीं करना चाहते धन्यवाद. .
[/quote]
I want to thank you plastic bag?
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry
The Eagle

Eaglepelli

Descriptions 1
Routes 428
Photosets 353
Triplogs 499

Postby azbackpackr » Jul 20 2010 4:52 am

My end of the White Mtns. I used to recommend Java Blues in Springerville. Well, it has gone downhill. Not as much fresh or vegetarian food as they used to serve, so now it has a lot of food like the other places in town. Cowboy grease. It is ok, and I still go there, but it just isn't the same, and no more live blues music there, either. The Chinese place, on the other hand, has improved a little bit. It isn't great, but it is ok.

So, for pretty good Cowboy Grease I now recommend the Alpine Grill, a newer place directly across the street from the Bear Wallow Cafe in Alpine. That is where I will do my meet-ups for Hannagan/Blue area backpacking trips from now on.

I don't eat in Greer because in my experience they serve the same food you can buy in Springerville, only in Greer it costs $10 or $20 more per plate. Greer is SO overrated...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 102
Photosets 239
Triplogs 436

next page

HAZ Forum Guidelines
Support your opinion with facts.

Responding to members you disagree with is permitted if courteous.

Making first time posters or anyone feel unwelcome on site is unacceptable.

Do not post photos or a journal of a trip in the forum.
Use the Post button found in the upper left corner of every page.

Linking offsite is spam unless... [ read more ]

Return to HAZ - Member Related