bknorbybknorby wrote:I'm going to add to this topic since it is very close to the one that I was going to post...
I'm researching a backpack for 8 people (no more than 6 tents) in West Clear Creek for 3 days-2 nights over the 4th of July. I had originally planned to go to the Jerky Mountains in the Gila Wilderness but the fire restrictions don't allow stoves outside of campgrounds. This last weekend we did a bit in Wet Beaver Creek on the Bell Trail and then down in to the canyon (which is a great beginning intro to canyon hiking - swimpacking). We really enjoyed the swimming part so we got the idea of doing West Clear Creek. I personally think it's cool to hike with floatation device!
I want to do the central part of the canyon that includes the White Box and Hanging Garden. Therefore, I have come up with few options, but I am unsure of the road conditions and how long setting up a car shuttle might take. Here are the options I'm looking at:
1. West Clear Creek TH to Calloway TH. With this option, I would add an extra night at the beginning of the trip to set up the car shuttle. It looks to melike the car shuttle is around 30 miles one way of which about a third of it is on dirt roads. Setting up the shuttle would probably take ~2 hours. With this option there is 16 miles in canyon hiking with another 2.5 miles of trail/route hiking. That maybe too long of a canyon hike for a 3 day journey.
2. West Clear Creek TH to FR142J (using the TH described in the White Box & Hanging Gardens of WCC, AZ description). This would cut down on the canyon mileage by approximately 4.5 miles. The car shuttle time is approximately the same.
3. This option wouldn't require a shuttle, hike down using the TH described in the White Box & Hanging Gardens of WCC, AZ description, look for an good campsite. Then day hike west. The next day hike east. Third day return to the car.
Now onto my questions:
1. Has anyone accessed any of these Trailheads lately? Do you have a good report on the road conditions? We will have at least two high clearance vehicles with the lowest a Subaru Outback. Does my time estimates look correct?
2. From my research it does not look like any of these require technical gear for rappelling - am I right? I've looked at the Canyoneering Arizona book and many of the triplogs/descriptions on HAZ.
3. Has anyone done any of this as a backpack and/or has coordinates of good campsites? I can't be the only techie who marks campsites just in case I go back!
4. Are there any other options I should be considering?
5. Does anyone have any other advice they'd like to share?
Thanks in advance!
bknorby wrote:Also, if you have done multi-day trips I'd be interested in what your access points were.
bknorby wrote:After last year's July 4th trip to the White Box/Hanging Meadow area of West Clear Creek, I'm ready for a longer trip. Has anyone done the entire canyon? I'm curious as to how many days it took. Also, if you have done multi-day trips I'd be interested in what your access points were. I'm going to be planning a trip there over the 4th of July holiday and will open up a few spots on the trip to HAZers who are interested and have experience with backpacking and swim-packing.
Moderator: HAZ - Moderators
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
|Q: Wanna browse with less Ads?
A: Simply login
37,000 members since 1996...