Anybody hiked Promontory Butte Trail?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Description  • Promontory Trail #278
NormalILhiker
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Anybody hiked Promontory Butte Trail?

Postby NormalILhiker » May 04 2006 8:08 pm

The map at the Promontory Trail site shows a trail off the SW end of the promontory connecting with the Highline Trail. The site says "umm...steep!" Is there anybody out there with firsthand experience that can elaborate? thinking of hiking up See Canyon across the butte (camp 1 night on top) and down this trail and back around on the Highline to the See Canyon TH. Any advice?

joe bartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby joe bartels » May 04 2006 8:35 pm

I haven't done it but it doesn't look terrible.

Camelback is a 23% grade
The upper section (not the ten foot climb) of Flatiron is 60%, of course the boulders make it easy.

This one comes in a 40%
If it's pure sand, it's a problem but I don't think that's the case and it's pretty short lived.

The backside of Superstition Peak down to Massacre is 70% and there's nothing to hang on to, now that was a nail bitter.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

towerhillman
New Born Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Anybody hiked Promontory Butte Trail?

Postby towerhillman » May 07 2006 8:54 pm

In response to NormalILhiker's reply:

My friend and I hiked this trail as a day hike on 11/06/05, using the Derrick Trail to gain access to the Highline first.

As Joe estimated, from the Highline Trail juncture the hike up is short and steep, but not "nail biting". At the bottom, 278 was clearly marked as three quarters of a mile to the top, and the trail was easy to follow most of the time. The one exception to this was where some fallen trees and overgrowth seemed to hide the trail about two-thirds of the way up.

It can get windy at night on the edge of the 'Rim.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Williams, AZ

Postby azbackpackr » May 09 2006 11:29 am

Promontory Butte is often completely closed to visitation during May and June if the weather has been extremely dry, so call the ranger station before hiking to see if it is open.

NormalILhiker
Lil' Kokopelli

Postby NormalILhiker » May 10 2006 6:46 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll check with the rangers and give it a try if its not closed. Thanks again.

NormalILhiker
Lil' Kokopelli

Postby NormalILhiker » May 12 2006 8:56 pm

I checked with the Apache-Sitgreaves NF. The Promontory Butte will be closed starting Mon. 5/15 until monsoons get it wet enough to lower fire restrictions.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”