Username
Password
Stay on Help
Trail/Area Specific Looking for a Hike
Anything else around???
Linked Descriptions None

Anything else around???

Postby Hippy » Jul 15 2012 11:12 am

So I want to do a random group event of some sort which includes Sugar Loaf Mtn...but what other good hikes are around there?! Because that is simply waaaay too far to drive for only a mile and a half hike....oh, reason for wanting Sugar Loaf is it's park of the "Peak Bagging" challenge I have going for myself.

Any thoughts on other places to hit? Or is Sugar Loaf pretty much something you stop by and tackle on your way up north to bigger and better things? :D
Cartwheels Across America!

Save the Ringtailed Bunnies!!
Hippy

Cartwheelopelli

Descriptions 3
Routes 3
Photosets 137
Triplogs 461

Re: Anything else around???

Postby CannondaleKid » Jul 15 2012 12:05 pm

As far as I know, everything from Four Peaks/Sycamore Road on 87 up to Payson (including Sugar Loaf) is still closed to all use. According to the FS, it is closed until August 31 OR until the order is rescinded, whichever comes first.

I'm hoping the rain has been widespread enough that the order will be rescinded shortly. I'd love to see it happen as soon as Monday. While I've kept myself pretty busy the last few weeks bagging peaks in the area SE of Florence Junction, I've got a number of peaks on my list in the closed area I'd like to start hitting.

Sugar Loaf is one I have yet to do... seems every time I've been in the vicinity, there was so much shooting going on I figured it could wait.

I plan on dropping by the Mesa FS office on Monday and see if they have any idea if any or all of the areas may soon be open.
CannondaleKid
... aka the CherokeeKid
PHOTOS & VIDEOS:
http://www.changephoenix.com/index.html
CannondaleKid

Soap Box Kopelli

Descriptions 33
Routes 104
Photosets 370
Triplogs 640

Postby Hippy » Jul 15 2012 12:20 pm

CK let me know! Let's hit Sugar Loaf together sometime, it's such a short silly hike but I feel it MUST be done, and if there are other peaks in the area I most definitely want to get them too, make a day of peak bagging : rambo :

Hippy

Cartwheelopelli

Descriptions 3
Routes 3
Photosets 137
Triplogs 461

Postby Tough_Boots » Jul 15 2012 12:21 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:Sugar Loaf is one I have yet to do... seems every time I've been in the vicinity, there was so much shooting going on I figured it could wait.

If you wait until you stop hearing gunfire in that area, you're never gonna do it. :o
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
--Edward Abbey
Tough_Boots

BuKopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 44
Photosets 162
Triplogs 488

Postby CannondaleKid » Jul 15 2012 12:41 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:If you wait until you stop hearing gunfire in that area, you're never gonna do it.

I agree, there's shooting going on all the time, but the last two times I had a thought of making a quick climb up Sugar Loaf, people were shooting from the base towards the peak over the area I wanted to ascend.

But if the FS opens it up soon, I might try it on a weekday either early before the shooters get going or later in the day when it's too hot for them.
CannondaleKid
... aka the CherokeeKid
PHOTOS & VIDEOS:
CannondaleKid

Soap Box Kopelli

Descriptions 33
Routes 104
Photosets 370
Triplogs 640

Postby Trishness » Jul 15 2012 1:18 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:As far as I know, everything from Four Peaks/Sycamore Road on 87 up to Payson (including Sugar Loaf) is still closed to all use. According to the FS, it is closed until August 31 OR until the order is rescinded, whichever comes first.

Just drove down the Beeline (87) from the Rim and all those roads are still closed. I did notice on the west side of the highway just past the Sycamore turnoff is a tree with tons and tons of either sneakers or hiking shoes hanging from it. I was going way to fast to stop and take a picture but if anyone else is coming down that way be on the lookout for it.

:)
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey
Trishness

Tutin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 14
Routes 0
Photosets 50
Triplogs 186

Postby CannondaleKid » Jul 15 2012 1:26 pm

Trishness wrote:I did notice on the west side of the highway just past the Sycamore turnoff is a tree with tons and tons of either sneakers or hiking shoes hanging from it. I was going way to fast to stop and take a picture but if anyone else is coming down that way be on the lookout for it.

Thanks for the info about the closed roads... I hope they open soon.

RE: The shoe tree... I'd seen the tree for the first time well over a year ago but the first time I actually thought far enough ahead to stop and take a photo was in April.
http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=252579

Here's a photoset just about shoe trees:
http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=11341
CannondaleKid
... aka the CherokeeKid
PHOTOS & VIDEOS:
CannondaleKid

Soap Box Kopelli

Descriptions 33
Routes 104
Photosets 370
Triplogs 640

Postby Nighthiker » Jul 15 2012 4:20 pm

Once spent the night out at Sugarloaf waiting for the creek to recede after a monsoon storm, was prepared for spending the night out there.
jk
Nighthiker

Tutin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 9

Postby chumley » Jul 15 2012 6:06 pm

The roads on the west side of AZ87 will be closed until the end of the monsoon. It's not fire danger, but flooding danger on Sycamore Creek because of the fire damage in the drainage basin upstream. So Sugarloaf is probably off limits until September would be my guess.

As for the shoe tree, it's not alone, and we actually created a culture label for it: http://hikearizona.com/dexcoder.php?PID=1665805
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 49
Routes 254
Photosets 340
Triplogs 586

Postby Jim_H » Jul 15 2012 6:16 pm

Don't forget the other Sugarloaf: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=293
It is because the Mount Elden Trail is just such a great trail, and the summit is pretty nice, too.
Jim_H

Summit Kokopelli

Descriptions 42
Routes 16
Photosets 264
Triplogs 912

Postby Hippy » Jul 16 2012 7:36 am

@chumley :lol: shoe trees huh...there use to be one along the I-10 just before the Casa Grande exit...it started as a shoe tree then turned into a Holiday Tree, looks like it burned down or fell down within the last 2 years though

so september huh? ok, who is in for an adventure toward Sugar Loaf and beyond??

Hippy

Cartwheelopelli

Descriptions 3
Routes 3
Photosets 137
Triplogs 461

HAZ Forum Guidelines

Looking for a Hike Bare Necessities
When are you going?
What is your fitness level?

Best Response
Members with posted Triplogs will get the most accurate responses. It helps evaluate your experience and ability.

Resources
Hike Arizona has thousands of hikes listed. Use the Regions Map. Select an area, then continue through to use TrailDEX to refine your search.

Considerations
Solitude in easy to reach areas with huge perennial waterfalls does not exist close to Phoenix or Tucson...

Support your opinion with facts.

Responding to members you disagree with is permitted if courteous.

Making first time posters or anyone feel unwelcome on site is unacceptable.

Do not post photos or a journal of a trip in the forum.
Use the Post button found in the upper left corner of every page.

Linking offsite is spam unless... [ read more ]

Return to Looking for a Hike

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators