Username
Password
Stay on Help
Trail/Area Specific Trail Chat
Superstition Mountain Summit
Day Hiking & general trail related

Superstition Mountain Summit

Postby kgmolson » Apr 30 2008 12:30 pm

What is the best way up to the peak? Via Flatiron or Carney Springs? It seems like this beast is tucked in the middle of the ridgeline...
kgmolson

Junior Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 2
Triplogs 177

Re: Superstition Mountain Summit

Postby rally_toad » Apr 30 2008 3:23 pm

Now I haven't been up there yet. But when I do get the chance I'll probably head up via Hieroglyphic Canyon. It doesnt make sense to get this one from the flatiron unless your doing the entire ridgeline. So either Carney or Hieroglyphic is your best bet.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth
rally_toad

Quickapelli

Descriptions 19
Routes 0
Photosets 29
Triplogs 376

Postby kgmolson » Apr 30 2008 3:33 pm

where is the carney TH? Hieroglyphic Canyon... good call.
kgmolson

Junior Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 2
Triplogs 177

Postby wallyfrack » Apr 30 2008 6:35 pm

kgmolson wrote:where is the carney TH?

Ths Carney TH is down Peralta road on the left about a mile before Peralta TH. The road to the TH is blocked but there is a parking area just off Peralta road. If you see Lost Goldmine TH you've passed it. It's an easier hike than Hieroglyphic canyon. http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=540
Last edited by wallyfrack on May 01 2008 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wally
wallyfrack

$$ Wall E Kopelli $$

Descriptions 0
Routes 75
Photosets 239
Triplogs 841

Postby Darth Stiller » Apr 30 2008 8:37 pm

It's a kind of a bushwhack up Hieroglyphic Canyon, though. The last time I did it 5 years ago, there were ribbons marking the way. Not too much brush to bust through, but no real trail to speak of until you get to the Ridgeline trail. Some scree here and there, also. I prefer the Carney Springs way myself. maybe a bit longer, but easier if you stay on the trail (shutup, Wally).
Darth Stiller

Lombardi Caretaker

Descriptions 12
Routes 67
Photosets 235
Triplogs 243

Postby joe bartels » Apr 30 2008 9:39 pm

If you're looking to do the SE peak 5057 then do the loop, it's paved to the cloudview/hiero TH
http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?GPS=41
plus there's a good chance to see some rattlers in the lower third of the ascent in either heiro or carney canyons with an early start, definitely go clockwise up hiero

The grunt of the hike is over before it heats up. It was 95 degrees on the return when I did it in September years ago. The seven day forecast is lower than that now. (I think)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!
joe bartels

teva joe

Descriptions 198
Routes 566
Photosets 714
Triplogs 2,472

Postby kgmolson » May 01 2008 3:29 pm

Yeah for sure... this is the weekend to do it. Looks to be in the upper 80's to lower 90's which is cooler than last weekend. I really want to hit this peak before the heat. Thanks for the info. I will get that loop plugged into the ol GPS and shouldnt have too may issues.

Thanks guys!
kgmolson

Junior Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 2
Triplogs 177

Postby rally_toad » May 01 2008 9:39 pm

If your planning on heading up there tomorrow 5/2 I have the day off and was planning on being in the area, as of right now I'm planning on a solo loop combining Whiskey Spring, Red Tank, and Bluff Spring trail. But would gladly change plans to do the Peak 5057 as its been on my list for a while. Let me know if your interested. We could probably carpool and split the gas money.
rally_toad

Quickapelli

Descriptions 19
Routes 0
Photosets 29
Triplogs 376

Postby kgmolson » May 01 2008 11:07 pm

Hey Rally- Wont be heading up there until Sunday or Monday... Unfortunatly the 2 best days of the weekend I will be working. Any of those days work for ya?
kgmolson

Junior Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 2
Triplogs 177

Postby rally_toad » May 01 2008 11:42 pm

The only days I could do it this weekend would be Friday or Saturday. Sunday I'll be in Tucson till afternoon, and Monday I have school and work.
The next time I'd be able to head up there is next saturday.
rally_toad

Quickapelli

Descriptions 19
Routes 0
Photosets 29
Triplogs 376

Postby kgmolson » May 02 2008 12:28 am

Next Saturday might work... I will have to get back to ya.
kgmolson

Junior Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 2
Triplogs 177

Postby rally_toad » May 02 2008 7:41 pm

My only condition for that day would be we would have to be back home before 4, because I have to work at 4:30. But I dont think that would be too much of a problem if we started early.
rally_toad

Quickapelli

Descriptions 19
Routes 0
Photosets 29
Triplogs 376

Postby johnlp » Jan 10 2012 12:44 pm

Have fun! This is a great hike, but not an easy one.
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson
johnlp

Roastapelli

Descriptions 1
Routes 9
Photosets 286
Triplogs 1,439

Postby mozdzen » Jan 16 2012 3:36 pm

Hi Everyone,
I was trying to find the trailhead up to the superstition mountain summit today and am not sure if I did or not. I parked in the Lost Goldmine Parking lot and took the trail along the fence until I saw a sign on the fence warning that exploring mines was dangerous. It took about 20 mins to get to this point at a moderate pace. As I see from an earlier post, I went too far. But - it looks like the trail from the suggested parking lot intersects the Lost Goldmine trail at some point - and I hope I found it.

After entering the fenced area, it took us straight to the side of a rock face that was very steep. We found a cairn and proceeded left and found a narrow trail. I forgot my GPS and my wife was getting antsy about doing too much bushwacking without it, so we only went on for another half hour. I almost reached what seemed to look like a saddle before turning around. The clouds were hanging low today and I couldn't see much past this saddle.

Was I on the right trail?

Thanks,
Tom

mozdzen

Lil' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 1
Triplogs 0

Postby Grasshopper » Jan 16 2012 4:17 pm

mozdzen wrote:it looks like the trail from the suggested parking lot intersects the Lost Goldmine trail at some point - and I hope I found it.

Here are the two recommended and correct GPS hiking tracks via the Carney Spring Trail.. http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=1380 (the black line track is from where you started at the Lost Goldmine Park/TH Start, and the red track line is from the recommended hike description.. http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=540 parking area). The brown teardrop is the waypoint coordinates for where you actually cross over the fence and the start of the Carney Spring Trail. It sounds to me like you may have crossed over the fence too soon (at the mine warning sign area) rather than hiking past the correct fence cross-over point?
Hank
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")
Grasshopper

Detailapelli

Descriptions 33
Routes 380
Photosets 272
Triplogs 404

Postby mozdzen » Jan 16 2012 5:34 pm

Most likely. The Fence still had the lower wire or two still intact, so most likely this sure wasn't an official trail.
Thanks for the info!
Tom

mozdzen

Lil' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 1
Triplogs 0

Postby mozdzen » Jan 16 2012 5:42 pm

Is there any signage at the correct cross over point? Because when we did cross over, there was a trail coming from the south that led me to believe we had met up with it. Which is strange. But I'm 99.99% sure we crossed over too soon because once at the cliffs, we had to travel west quite a way.
Thanks again,
Tom

mozdzen

Lil' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 1
Triplogs 0

Postby trekkin gecko » Jan 16 2012 5:49 pm

just park at carney TH
eliminates the cross over problem
trekkin gecko

geckopelli

Descriptions 2
Routes 129
Photosets 227
Triplogs 1,239

Postby Grasshopper » Jan 16 2012 6:23 pm

mozdzen wrote:Is there any signage at the correct cross over point?

Here is a pic.. http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=159606 from a 10/11/10 picset hike that shows what the "hiker pass-through area at the fence line" looks like. You don't actually cross over the fence, but rather pass through it. As this pic shows, there is a small wilderness sign on the fence, but no trail signage since what I am referring too as the Carney Springs Trail is not an "official" signed or numbered trail. I suggest you enter into your GPS receiver the waypoint coordinates of the fence pass through point (ie, click on the the brown teardrop on my previous post), this along with the above linked pic should help eliminate further guessing.
Hank
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")
Grasshopper

Detailapelli

Descriptions 33
Routes 380
Photosets 272
Triplogs 404

Postby mozdzen » Jan 16 2012 7:47 pm

You guys are awesome! Yes - that wasn't what I crossed over. On the otherhand, it was a pretty trail and we did quite a bit of trail clean up. Some moron shot a box of 100 shells and some smaller ammo and just left the empty shells on the ground as well as the box it came in (plus a broken glass beer bottle). We cleaned up most of it, so perhaps good we found the wrong trail. Maybe I should bring some barbed wire with next time and repair the fence. I think they blasted a large saguaro to pieces. That really gets me upset.
Tom

mozdzen

Lil' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 1
Triplogs 0

HAZ Forum Guidelines
Support your opinion with facts.

Responding to members you disagree with is permitted if courteous.

Making first time posters or anyone feel unwelcome on site is unacceptable.

Do not post photos or a journal of a trip in the forum.
Use the Post button found in the upper left corner of every page.

Linking offsite is spam unless... [ read more ]

Return to Trail Chat