Username
Password
Stay on Help
Outdoors Related Flora & Fauna - Weather & Fire Fire & Area Closures
2012 Fire Season
Linked Descriptions None

Re: 2012 Fire Season

Postby Jim_H » Apr 02 2012 6:29 pm

Is there a link for that? I would like to read up on it. Last year, I don't remember it being so windy until May, and then it was horrendous. It could also just be that May was when I got tired of it, as it usually starts in March there. Memorial Day Weekend, when the Wallow exploded, was one of, if not thee worst wind period I recall in Flagstaff. Being one of the last events I endured obviously helps make it memorable as well, as does the fire starting then, but the wind gusts in the 70s and sustained wind in the 50s and 60s(?) was the big feature. Either way, not having high wind ( and the dust which I have realized is far, far worse) in May, and hopefully much into April, would be great. I'd like some rain, or the low desert to get it (just not on a trip down there), but this is the dry season and an La Nina. I really just don't want snow, and don't want it below 8500', though that is largely due to me wanting BM to melt out. I would prefer the snow stay above 9300', so Elden will melt out, but I guess with the altitude, that is just wishful thinking for late winter/early spring.
Marana is Arizona's sauciest bedroom community.
Jim_H

Summit Kokopelli

Descriptions 41
Routes 15
Photosets 262
Triplogs 892

Postby Jim_H » May 08 2012 7:00 pm

Since it's May and the winter type storms are probably over until October, it's more or less fire season. Hardly any activity this year, but with some dry lightning forecast for the next couple of days, there might be some natural fires. The Gila can always use a good burn.
Jim_H

Summit Kokopelli

Descriptions 41
Routes 15
Photosets 262
Triplogs 892

Postby Jim_H » May 18 2012 11:52 am

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2868/
http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2870/

There are some lightning fires in Mogollon mountains of the Gila NF, and they are more receptive to fire. With any luck, over the coming weeks the NF may host this as one complex and fire may be "allowed" to penetrate the central wilderness area, in to the core around McKenna Park, and perhaps over to Woodland Park, but I suspect I may be a little too optimistic.
Jim_H

Summit Kokopelli

Descriptions 41
Routes 15
Photosets 262
Triplogs 892

Postby RedRoxx44 » May 19 2012 1:08 pm

Whitewater one has closed some popular trails. I plan my return to the Gila once the monsoons are cranking.
"We don't care about aesthetics" --forest service representative, re: Oak Fire, Galiuro
RedRoxx44

Pic·tur·esque·pelli

Descriptions 5
Routes 0
Photosets 396
Triplogs 352

Postby azbackpackr » May 19 2012 1:41 pm

Dry, hot and windy here near Springerville, but no fires. We are tired of fires here. I could happily wait a year before seeing any major burns in the Springerville or Alpine Ranger Districts. Hopefully the FS will get some more of the thinning and prescribed burns happening over the next year.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 87
Photosets 224
Triplogs 419

Postby Outdoor Lover » May 19 2012 2:29 pm

@azbackpackr Welcome back! :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
Outdoor Lover

Friendly Kokopelli

Descriptions 5
Routes 1
Photosets 252
Triplogs 261

Postby azbackpackr » May 19 2012 5:07 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:@azbackpackr Welcome back! :)

Hey, thanks! Back in the ol' cowtown!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 87
Photosets 224
Triplogs 419

Postby Jim_H » May 19 2012 6:55 pm

Hot? Ha! I thought you were in central America?
Jim_H

Summit Kokopelli

Descriptions 41
Routes 15
Photosets 262
Triplogs 892

Postby azbackpackr » May 20 2012 9:14 am

Nah. I arrived at Sky Harbor last Friday the 11th. Got the opportunity to meet our own Te-wa and his fair family, since my daughter and I camped at his place for the night before heading up here to Eagar. (Thanks again, Mike!)

The weather here this week has been fantastic, other than the one day of bad winds. In the high 70's and gorgeous.
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 87
Photosets 224
Triplogs 419

Postby Outdoor Lover » May 22 2012 8:28 pm

Looks like New Mexico is burning too....

http://inciweb.org/incident/2870/
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
Outdoor Lover

Friendly Kokopelli

Descriptions 5
Routes 1
Photosets 252
Triplogs 261

Postby Jim_H » May 22 2012 8:44 pm

Yeah, I posted that a little while ago. It's exciting, too, as that area needs fire, and being a lightning fire, the FS is more likely to let a fire like these two grown in a wilderness. It can't actually be what the name claims if you exclude wild forces that acted on these ecosystems for millions of years. I really want to see the Baldy make progress to the east, and I hope it penetrates the Ponderosa Pine, of the central Gila Wilderness, pretty deeply.
Jim_H

Summit Kokopelli

Descriptions 41
Routes 15
Photosets 262
Triplogs 892

Postby delflg » May 24 2012 4:09 pm

Jim_H wrote:Yeah, I posted that a little while ago. It's exciting, too, as that area needs fire, and being a lightning fire, the FS is more likely to let a fire like these two grown in a wilderness. It can't actually be what the name claims if you exclude wild forces that acted on these ecosystems for millions of years. I really want to see the Baldy make progress to the east, and I hope it penetrates the Ponderosa Pine, of the central Gila Wilderness, pretty deeply.

Things are getting hairy over there now with the Whitewater-Baldy Complex fire and it's bad that homes are burned, but Jim's right - fire is part of the package with wilderness. Wilderness areas are wondrous, beautiful, and sometimes extremely dangerous places.
delflg

Lil' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 0

Postby Jim_H » May 24 2012 8:56 pm

Also, with this fire, much of the area had a significantly higher fire return frequency. Even in areas that seem relatively well burned today, there are more trees and higher fuel loads than there would have been 150 years ago. In 1800, if the same event had occurred, the overall fire damage would have been less severe, simply due to there being a lower density of tree canopy.
Jim_H

Summit Kokopelli

Descriptions 41
Routes 15
Photosets 262
Triplogs 892

Postby Rick Vincent » May 31 2012 10:43 am

Bummer. I was hoping to make Whitewater Baldy my backup trip for fall color aspens now that Escudilla is toast. Where to go in October for plan C?
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.
Rick Vincent

Seed Sowin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 3
Routes 4
Photosets 187
Triplogs 292

Postby SkyIslander14 » May 31 2012 11:05 am

As expected this morning, the smoke from the Whitewater Fire has now moved into SE Arizona and is right now starting to blanket the upper Pinalenos.
SkyIslander14

Lucky Catchapelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 254
Triplogs 919

Postby Patrick L » Jun 07 2012 6:52 pm

Now Baboquivari is getting cooked.
http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2897/
Patrick L

Mock Orangapelli

Descriptions 7
Routes 46
Photosets 142
Triplogs 246

Postby chumley » Jun 08 2012 12:20 am

The 90% containment figure seems to indicate they've got it fully under control.
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 43
Routes 232
Photosets 314
Triplogs 556

Postby Patrick L » Jun 08 2012 7:07 pm

I should really start paying attention. :whistle:
Patrick L

Mock Orangapelli

Descriptions 7
Routes 46
Photosets 142
Triplogs 246

Postby azbackpackr » Jun 09 2012 11:21 am

Rick Vincent wrote:Bummer. I was hoping to make Whitewater Baldy my backup trip for fall color aspens now that Escudilla is toast. Where to go in October for plan C?

There are still a lot of aspens on Escudilla. And on down by Hannagan, there are a lot of them, too. And around Greer and Mt. Baldy there are quite a few.
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 87
Photosets 224
Triplogs 419

Postby Nighthiker » Jun 09 2012 2:34 pm

Very large brush fire started this afternoon in/near Queen Valley. Initial very large plume of smoke looked liked it may have been a structure fire then dense white smoke that I could tell was spreading very fast and the smoke plume is drifting north towards the Superstitions.
jk
Nighthiker

Tutin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 9

previous pagenext page

HAZ Forum Guidelines
Support your opinion with facts.

Responding to members you disagree with is permitted if courteous.

Making first time posters or anyone feel unwelcome on site is unacceptable.

Do not post photos or a journal of a trip in the forum.
Use the Post button found in the upper left corner of every page.

Linking offsite is spam unless... [ read more ]

Return to Fire & Area Closures