Username
Password
Stay on Help
Outdoors Related Road Conditions
Beeline Hwy or Hwy 87
Linked Descriptions None

Re: Beeline Hwy or Hwy 87

Postby Dschur » Jul 18 2008 12:23 pm

The bad news is that they are going to be closing down one lane south bound at the land slide area for some more work in that area.
As the Arizona Department of Transportation continues repair work on the slope that caused a landslide in March, crews will need to close one lane on State Route (SR) 87 in the construction zone.

Beginning today, Wednesday, July 16, at 5:30 a.m., the right-hand (southbound) lane of SR 87 between milepost 224 and 226 will be closed for up to nine days, weather permitting. One southbound lane will be kept open, and this closure will not affect northbound traffic.

This closure will allow crews to install a 48-inch wide pipe that will improve drainage and further stabilize the slope on the west side of the highway.

Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--
Dschur

Fossil Kokopelli

Descriptions 13
Routes 0
Photosets 26
Triplogs 50

Postby Dschur » May 04 2009 8:15 am

More work being done on the slide on Slate Creek....
Expect delays on Highway 87 at the March 2008 landslide area after crews close the southbound lanes of traffic for 16 days starting May 4.

The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) will close the southbound lanes near Sunflower for a mile, and shift southbound traffic to one of the northbound lanes from May 4 to May 20, said public information officer Bill Williams.

The work will begin at 9 p.m., Monday, May 4, with the closure of both southbound lanes at the junction of Highway 188, routing traffic to Globe until 5 a.m., Tuesday, May 5.
ADOT will then open one lane in each direction on the northbound side, with a 45 mph speed limit and no loads wider than 12 feet allowed until May 20.
The closures will allow crews to work on last year’s landslide near Slate Creek. Workers will remove concrete barriers and install a 12-foot-wide drain pipe adjacent to the southbound lanes.

Phase two of the project began in early 2009 and includes the construction of a retaining wall on the west side of SR 87 and additional erosion-control measures.

After the southbound lanes are reopened, Williams said construction should continue for another two to three months.

The March 21, 2008 landslide at milepost 223 closed the highway for a week. The damage from the largest landslide in ADOT history has already taken a year and $8 million to repair.

“There has not been one of that size or magnitude,” Williams said.

Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--
Dschur

Fossil Kokopelli

Descriptions 13
Routes 0
Photosets 26
Triplogs 50

Postby Grasshopper » May 04 2009 8:55 am

Dschur wrote:The damage from the largest landslide in ADOT history has already taken a year and $8 million to repair.

:o ..and it's still not completed!
Hank
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")
Grasshopper

Detailapelli

Descriptions 33
Routes 380
Photosets 272
Triplogs 404

Postby chumley » May 04 2009 11:08 am

First of all ... can't they do this construction in the winter when there's less traffic using the Beeline? Seems silly to start this in May, unless they were waiting for the dry season to start this project.

Second -- I know some engineers that work with ADOT on road design and construction, and this was always a disaster waiting to happen. The Forest Service insisted on this route despite warnings that this would occur. FS decided this route would require the least impact on the land, and while the theory is a nice one, ultimately, ADOTs preferred route would have required more trees to be cut down and more dirt to be moved, but would also have resulted in a stable roadbed that would not be affected by an area previously known for underground water and its possible effects on a roadway.

Now it has cost a stupid amount of money to fix, and has probably impacted that hillside more than building the road in the alternate location would have. Yay government at work! ](*,)
Opinions and comments presented 100% filter-free™ since 1996!
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 51
Routes 270
Photosets 354
Triplogs 642

Postby big_load » May 04 2009 11:23 am

I've never seen it without constuction, so the whole concept of being finished is merely hypothetical to me.
big_load

You talkin' to me peli

Descriptions 0
Routes 5
Photosets 40
Triplogs 77

Postby joe bartels » May 04 2009 5:40 pm

In response to chumley:
It probably needs to be dry.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!
joe bartels

teva joe

Descriptions 198
Routes 566
Photosets 714
Triplogs 2,466

Postby Dschur » Sep 09 2010 4:24 pm

New information on Highway 87 or the Beeline Hwy.... From Sept 10, 2010- May 2011
Restrictions on Highway 87, north of Bush Highway, starting Sept. 10
September 8, 2010

A six-mile stretch of Highway 87 north of the Bush Highway/Saguaro Lake Turnoff has been switched to one lane of travel in each direction, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.

Crews’ narrowed northbound Highway 87 to one lane Tuesday, four miles north of the Bush Highway interchange. Southbound Highway 87 traffic will be narrowed to one lane and shifted on Friday, Sept. 10. Both directions of traffic will share the highway’s northbound lanes.

The traffic switch allows crews to continue work on a $10.7 million project. The project includes adding a mile-and-a-half stretch of a third southbound lane, reinforcing shoulders and embankments and modifying slopes. The overall project between New Four Peaks Road and Dos S Ranch Road also includes erosion control along a mile-long segment near milepost 212, south of the community of Sunflower.

While work started in June, the traffic switch was delayed to avoid affecting traffic over the Labor Day weekend.

The traffic switch will be in place until late spring 2011, with major restrictions lifted before next year’s Memorial Day weekend.

For the latest information about highway conditions across Arizona visit ADOT’s Travel Information site at www.az511.gov or call 5-1-1.

The project is funded through a combination of funds from the Maricopa Association of Governments’ Regional Transportation Plan and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

Dawn
Dschur

Fossil Kokopelli

Descriptions 13
Routes 0
Photosets 26
Triplogs 50

Postby hikeaz » Sep 09 2010 5:57 pm

The nine most feared words in Rim country....... "I'm with ADOT and I am here to help"....
kurt
hikeaz

Socialpelli

Descriptions 5
Routes 0
Photosets 47
Triplogs 174

Postby chumley » Sep 09 2010 6:51 pm

A third southbound lane? I assume this is going up the hill from Mesquite Wash to a mile or so north of the 4 Peaks Road? Are three lanes really necessary? I mean, I-17 doesn't even have 3 lanes. (Though it could use it on the southbound hill coming out of the Verde Valley).
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 51
Routes 270
Photosets 354
Triplogs 642

Postby joe bartels » Sep 09 2010 6:54 pm

That's a good question. Perhaps the difference is in funding? National Highway verse a State Highway?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!
joe bartels

teva joe

Descriptions 198
Routes 566
Photosets 714
Triplogs 2,466

Postby Grasshopper » Oct 05 2010 7:38 pm

Dschur wrote:New information on Highway 87 or the Beeline Hwy.... From Sept 10, 2010- May 2011

Some words of advise from one who learned the hard way:
I suggest you don't plan your return trip south of Payson on Hwy 87 on a Sunday afternoon. On Sun-10/3 I did, and it was a total traffic nightmare due to this 6 mile stretch of one lane traffic heading north and south. I lost at least one hour in stop and go traffic before finally reaching the lane restriction end at the Hwy 87/Four Peaks Road intersection. :x
Hank
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")
Grasshopper

Detailapelli

Descriptions 33
Routes 380
Photosets 272
Triplogs 404

Postby Tough_Boots » Oct 06 2010 12:40 pm

Grasshopper wrote:total traffic nightmare

I'll be making that drive this weekend. I've driven through the lane restrictions a couple times (not during peak driving time) since they've been up and haven't dealt with any traffic. I'll be coming back from Payson on Sunday and am trying to time it so we don't hit peak driving time. Maybe very early afternoon or late evening is best?
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
--Edward Abbey
Tough_Boots

BuKopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 44
Photosets 170
Triplogs 503

Postby chumley » Oct 06 2010 12:57 pm

I hit bumper-to-bumper at 6:00p on Sunday afternoon. It was 2 miles before the lane restriction began. It took 30 minutes to go the two miles, and then the 8 miles of single-lane traffic took about 15 minutes more.

Heading northbound on Thursday evening around 5:30pm, there was no traffic at all.

I would expect a Friday night trip north will have some backups too. Sunday trips home, I would plan on being there before noon, or after 8pm. That's just a guess though, I don't have actual data other than my experience from last week.
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 51
Routes 270
Photosets 354
Triplogs 642

Postby Cultjam » Oct 06 2010 4:56 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie here. Mostly browsing the site for good info while I get myself in trouble on my own out on the trails. It's been addictively fun.

I had the same experience on 87 three weekends ago. It was a perfect storm of bad events, an AC hose blew on our way up but didn't stop us, then one of my dogs busted a paw bone at Clover Creek. Made our stroll of a hike unexpectedly strenuous. Dog, friend and I were all exhausted from carrying her out and then we hit that backup....no rest for the wicked I guess. Dog is sidelined for three more weeks but recovering nicely.

Lisa
Cultjam

Lil' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 5
Triplogs 7

Postby azbackpackr » Oct 06 2010 5:14 pm

Welcome to HAZ, Lisa, although I see by your join date you have been lurking for quite some time!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 106
Photosets 244
Triplogs 441

Postby big_load » Oct 06 2010 7:37 pm

chumley wrote:It took 30 minutes to go the two miles, and then the 8 miles of single-lane traffic took about 15 minutes more.

That sounds like the second half of my morning commute (or the first half of the ride home). :D
big_load

You talkin' to me peli

Descriptions 0
Routes 5
Photosets 40
Triplogs 77

Postby Cultjam » Oct 07 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks, azbackpackr and I like your tagline. I have been lurking, didn't want to say anything if I wasn't going to stick with it.
Cultjam

Lil' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 5
Triplogs 7

Postby Nighthiker » Oct 07 2010 7:46 pm

Been to Payson four times the past two weeks weekdays and weekends, breezed right thru no traffic and no delay.
jk
Nighthiker

Tutin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 9

Postby chumley » Oct 07 2010 7:48 pm

Nighthiker wrote:Been to Payson four times the past two weeks weekdays and weekends, breezed right thru no traffic and no delay.

Any trips south on Sunday afternoons?
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 51
Routes 270
Photosets 354
Triplogs 642

Postby Nighthiker » Oct 08 2010 2:54 pm

Southbound after dark.
jk
Nighthiker

Tutin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 9

previous pagenext page

HAZ Forum Guidelines
Support your opinion with facts.

Responding to members you disagree with is permitted if courteous.

Making first time posters or anyone feel unwelcome on site is unacceptable.

Do not post photos or a journal of a trip in the forum.
Use the Post button found in the upper left corner of every page.

Linking offsite is spam unless... [ read more ]

Return to Road Conditions