Username
Password
Stay on Help
Outdoors Related General Missing Hikers
Missing Dutchman Hunter - Jesse Capen
Linked Descriptions None

Missing Dutchman Hunter - Jesse Capen

Postby SuperstitionGuy » Jan 17 2010 7:39 pm

The following article is about a man missing since November 22, 2009 whose camp was found December 20, 2009 near the old Tortilla Ranch. Has he perhaps asked questions on HAZ prior to his trip and/or have any of you while hiking the Superstitions met a man that meets his description? The Maricopa County Shriff's office is in charge of the search if you have info.

Colo. man missing in search for Lost Dutchman gold mine

1 comment Jan. 17, 2010 02:15 PM
Associated Press

PHOENIX - Arizona
authorities are searching for a Colorado man whose mother says disappeared while searching for the storied Lost Dutchman gold mine.

The Marcicopa County Sheriff's Office has been organizing searches for 35-year-old Jesse Capen since hikers discovered his Jeep near Old Tortilla Ranch on Dec. 20 but have found no trace of him in the desert near the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix.

"It's a pretty desolate area. It looks like you stepped on the moon," said Don Roughan, a sheriff's deputy.

The hikers who found Capen's Jeep said his wallet, backpack, cellphone, food and sleeping bag were also in a tent nearby. About 100 people, dogs and helicopters searched for Capen on Saturday and have covered a 10-mile radius near his tent.

Capen's mother, Cynthia Burnett, said her son was obsessed with the Lost Dutchman mine and had more than 100 books and maps about it. He arrived in Apache Junction, east of Phoenix, on Nov. 22 to begin looking for the mine, Burnett said.

"This is beyond obsessed," she said.

Burnett said she fears her son may have been bitten by a rattlesnake or injured in a fall and then attacked by a bear. She described her son as a "gentle giant" - about 6-foot-4 and more than 200 pounds - who went into the desert unarmed in search of the gold mine, which has been the subject of movies.

She said her son planned to return to Denver by Christmas.

Capen had been working as a bellhop at a hotel in downtown Denver for the past 11 years.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
SuperstitionGuy

Volunteer Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 2
Triplogs 1

Re: Missing Dutchman Hunter

Postby joe bartels » Jan 17 2010 7:47 pm

Man for some reason this just hits home more than a tourist falling of the edge of the GC for snapshots :?

That's a big adjustment from downtown Denver to the central catclaw infested Superstitions. Can't be good, nobody leaves their wallet.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!
joe bartels

teva joe

Descriptions 198
Routes 546
Photosets 701
Triplogs 2,363

Postby Grasshopper » Jan 17 2010 8:08 pm

SuperstitionGuy wrote:"It's a pretty desolate area. It looks like you stepped on the moon," said Don Roughan, a sheriff's deputy.

I don't get this statement at all. Is this the Tortilla Ranch area at the end of 4x4 FR213 they are referring to here?.. http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?GPS=7369 This area has never reminded me of what I would think it would be like to "step on the moon".
Last edited by Grasshopper on Jan 17 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hank
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")
Grasshopper

Detailapelli

Descriptions 33
Routes 370
Photosets 260
Triplogs 394

Postby big_load » Jan 17 2010 8:08 pm

He'd more than likely be well off-trail when his mishap occurred. He'll be hard to find, especially if scavengers have had their way.
big_load

You talkin' to me peli

Descriptions 0
Routes 4
Photosets 40
Triplogs 74

Postby SuperstitionGuy » Jan 17 2010 8:35 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
SuperstitionGuy wrote:"It's a pretty desolate area. It looks like you stepped on the moon," said Don Roughan, a sheriff's deputy.

I don't get this statement at all. Is this the Tortilla Ranch area at the end of 4x4 FR213 they are referring to here?.. http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?GPS=7369 This area has never reminded me of what I would think it would be like to "step on the moon".[/quote]

I have just checked with my search and rescue contacts in Arizona and his camp was at or near Kane Spring and they suspect and have been searching the Tortilla Mtn. area where there are a number of old mining sites. With the weather front that is approaching the searches will be put on hold until better weather conditions prevail.

I have my own thoughts on where he might have traveled to and got into trouble but alas I am stuck here in Utah until February. If he is not found before then is there anyone willing to join me for a two or three weekday journey to search for him?
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

SuperstitionGuy

Volunteer Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 2
Triplogs 1

Postby Vaporman » Jan 17 2010 9:05 pm

That stinks. I saw the SAR in the area last weekend and wondered who they were looking for. I've actually recently been looking at a route up to Tortilla Mountain...
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p
Vaporman

Roamapelli

Descriptions 2
Routes 4
Photosets 229
Triplogs 931

Postby joe bartels » Jan 17 2010 9:13 pm

With the storms coming don't get into the situation I was lured into four years ago
http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=24755
bad, bad, bad idea
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!
joe bartels

teva joe

Descriptions 198
Routes 546
Photosets 701
Triplogs 2,363

Postby nonot » Jan 17 2010 11:15 pm

I believe a popular destination for Dutch Hunters is "Lost Ridge" up on Peters Mesa. Not knowing the water source conditions, Kane Spring would be a sensable base camp to get there on a dayhike. It is possible he got off trail and headed down Peter's Canyon as well as it is not a distinct crossing. On top of Peters Mesa the trail is hard to find. That whole section of the Supes is a pretty rugged area visited by few.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
nonot

Pyropelli

Descriptions 88
Routes 209
Photosets 165
Triplogs 395

Postby Vaporman » Jan 18 2010 5:13 am

joe bartels wrote:With the storms coming don't get into the situation I was lured into four years ago
http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=24755
bad, bad, bad idea

That's crazy! :o Yea, I'll avoid the snow but at the same time all this potential rain could fill the canyons up with water for a week or two... :?

LoL, I can attest to missing the Peters Mesa trail and heading down Peters Canyon thought he'd eventually pop out at Tortilla Flat if he kept on going.
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p
Vaporman

Roamapelli

Descriptions 2
Routes 4
Photosets 229
Triplogs 931

Postby Darth Stiller » Jan 18 2010 7:11 am

joe bartels wrote:don't get into the situation I was lured into four years ago

Was that 4 years or 3 years ago? I got stuck in a big storm in the eastern supes 3 years ago January.
Darth Stiller

Lombardi Caretaker

Descriptions 12
Routes 66
Photosets 228
Triplogs 236

Postby BobP » Jan 18 2010 7:22 am

In response to Stiller:
The pic set is dated Mar 2006.
www.blindmotivation.com
www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
BobP

Chartreuse Bandido

Descriptions 2
Routes 142
Photosets 320
Triplogs 1,411

Postby joe bartels » Jan 18 2010 9:37 am

This was that freak storm in March. It had already been almost hot out the week prior. I almost spent the night there as Tortilla road is slanted for a quarter mile stretch before the old ranch foundations. When the snow melted during my hike 4WD proved useless to staying on the road.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!
joe bartels

teva joe

Descriptions 198
Routes 546
Photosets 701
Triplogs 2,363

Postby rally_toad » Jan 18 2010 9:42 am

Missing since November 22nd! Tent was found almost a month ago! That doesn't sound like good odds to me :(
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth
rally_toad

Quickapelli

Descriptions 19
Routes 0
Photosets 29
Triplogs 376

Postby DesertDirtDog » Jan 19 2010 7:56 pm

rally_toad wrote:Missing since November 22nd! Tent was found almost a month ago! That doesn't sound like good odds to me :(

I don't think anyone is expecting anything good to come.

I was in Peter's Canyon JAN 2nd, and ran into a couple of Maricopa County S&R volunteers with their cadaver dog. They just want the family to have closure.

Anyone who's hiked that trail/area of the Wilderness can tell you that it is not a place to be if you're not in reasonable shape, and according to the volunteers, the missing man wasn't.
DesertDirtDog

Lil' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 1
Triplogs 0

Postby te-wa » Jan 19 2010 8:06 pm

i was out here doing 2 backpacks from Tortilla, on the 6th of December and again on the 13th. I did not notice a Jeep or any evidence of camping.
Joe, Hank and Gabrielle may have seen a Jeep, but I did not.
poor guy's pro'lly stuck in the jungle down in Pistol Canyon
i'm not really a squirrel
te-wa

Squirrelock Holmes

Descriptions 3
Routes 0
Photosets 64
Triplogs 162

Postby joe bartels » Jan 19 2010 8:19 pm

Now I really hope they find something for the family's sake. Hopefully nothing funky is going on here like foul play.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!
joe bartels

teva joe

Descriptions 198
Routes 546
Photosets 701
Triplogs 2,363

Postby jeffmacewen » Jan 19 2010 9:19 pm

joe bartels wrote:Now I really hope they find something for the family's sake. Hopefully nothing funky is going on here like foul play.

I was thinking the that same thing, actually.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
jeffmacewen

Dirty Pooch Harry

Descriptions 28
Routes 20
Photosets 71
Triplogs 167

Postby SuperstitionGuy » Jan 19 2010 9:26 pm

te-wa wrote:poor guy's pro'lly stuck in the jungle down in Pistol Canyon

I am thinking the trap or area around it in Trap Canyon :scared:, as it's probably only about three miles away from his campsite.

SuperstitionGuy

Volunteer Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 2
Triplogs 1

Postby big_load » Jan 20 2010 9:20 am

SuperstitionGuy wrote:I am thinking the trap or area around it in Trap Canyon :scared:, as it's probably only about three miles away from his campsite.

Is there a mineralogical reason to look there? I wouldn't have thought so.
big_load

You talkin' to me peli

Descriptions 0
Routes 4
Photosets 40
Triplogs 74

Postby SuperstitionGuy » Jan 20 2010 1:44 pm

Mineralogical deposits no, but claim markers and prospect holes yes. After all what Dutchman Hunter needs evidence of mineral to start digging a hole or marking a claim? :-({|= :whistle:

There was a sluice operation at the eastern end back in the late 1970's or early 1980's and they left behind quite a bit of camping gear, gold mining equipment and trash. Go figure? :roll:

SuperstitionGuy

Volunteer Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 2
Triplogs 1

next page

HAZ Forum Guidelines
Support your opinion with facts.

Responding to members you disagree with is permitted if courteous.

Making first time posters or anyone feel unwelcome on site is unacceptable.

Do not post photos or a journal of a trip in the forum.
Use the Post button found in the upper left corner of every page.

Linking offsite is spam unless... [ read more ]

Return to Missing Hikers