Username
Password
Stay on Help
Outdoors Related Food/Recipes
Best eats in Tusayan?
Linked Descriptions None

Best eats in Tusayan?

Postby azbackpackr » Aug 30 2011 12:16 pm

I usually buzz right through Tusayan without so much as a pee stop. However, we're meeting up there for the Pt. Huitzil trip, and we'd like to hear comments. I recollect there's a pizza joint there. Anyone like it? If memory serves, people have said most eateries there are way overpriced.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 106
Photosets 244
Triplogs 441

Re: Best eats in Tusayan?

Postby chumley » Aug 30 2011 1:54 pm

I'd recommend whatever picnic you bring yourself. :)
Opinions and comments presented 100% filter-free™ since 1996!
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 51
Routes 270
Photosets 354
Triplogs 644

Postby azbackpackr » Aug 30 2011 2:31 pm

According to one of the online review websites, the Coronado Room at the Best Western not only is passable to good, according to pretty much all the reviewers, but every single other restaurant in town got TERRIBLE reviews.

I wonder if there's a Subway or Quizno's there? Have to check that out.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 106
Photosets 244
Triplogs 441

Postby Rob del Desierto » Aug 30 2011 3:19 pm

There is a McDonalds and Wendys in Tusayan. The pizza joint on the north end of town is probably the best in town - at least, that's where we'd go to escape park dining when I was working for the P-Fund. The restaurant in the hotel on the s end of the road, by the airport on the west side is ok. McDonalds there holds the distinction of being the most expensive Mickey Ds in the world. No joke, I've read about it in a couple of travel books/magazines.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon
2013-2014 HAZ Road Rally
Rob del Desierto

Culture Kokopelli

Descriptions 128
Routes 91
Photosets 305
Triplogs 890

Postby azbackpackr » Aug 30 2011 3:37 pm

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Wendy's would work for me, but I don't know what the rest of them will want to do. The pizza place got some pretty lukewarm reviews.
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 106
Photosets 244
Triplogs 441

Postby Rob del Desierto » Aug 30 2011 3:40 pm

I didn't say stellar or world class - just that it was the best in town.
It does (or did, last time I was in) have both Oak Creek and Grand Canyon beers on tap.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
2013-2014 HAZ Road Rally
Rob del Desierto

Culture Kokopelli

Descriptions 128
Routes 91
Photosets 305
Triplogs 890

Postby azbackpackr » Aug 30 2011 3:46 pm

That might suit this crowd. We'll see what they say.
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 106
Photosets 244
Triplogs 441

Postby paulhubbard » Aug 30 2011 3:47 pm

Rob del Desierto wrote:It does (or did, last time I was in) have both Oak Creek and Grand Canyon beers on tap.

In that case, who cares what the food tastes like? :y:
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
paulhubbard

Harley Kokopelli

Descriptions 3
Routes 11
Photosets 157
Triplogs 154

Postby PLC92084 » Aug 30 2011 3:52 pm

paulhubbard wrote: Rob del Desierto wrote:It does (or did, last time I was in) have both Oak Creek and Grand Canyon beers on tap.

In that case, who cares what the food tastes like? :y:

I suppose fueling up on carbs could be construed as a good thing? The down side might be we'd need to take out a small loan in order to get a sufficient "meal"...
PLC92084

∞kopelli

Descriptions 2
Routes 17
Photosets 10
Triplogs 355

Postby kingsnake » Aug 30 2011 4:27 pm

Rob del Desierto wrote:There is a McDonalds and Wendys in Tusayan. The pizza joint on the north end of town is probably the best in town - at least, that's where we'd go to escape park dining when I was working for the P-Fund. The restaurant in the hotel on the s end of the road, by the airport on the west side is ok. McDonalds there holds the distinction of being the most expensive Mickey Ds in the world. No joke, I've read about it in a couple of travel books/magazines.

25 years ago my mom was visiting me in Flagstaff, and made me stop at that place just so she could say she ate the most expensive Big Mac in the world. :roll: I think back then it was like $5. No idea what it is now. Story was it was so expensive due to having to truck in water. Also no idea if that is still the case ...
Belgium has 1500 beers, and I only have one liver. Life is not fair ... :(
kingsnake

Aravaipapelli

Descriptions 37
Routes 74
Photosets 236
Triplogs 362

Postby hikeaz » Aug 30 2011 4:55 pm

WeCook Pizza. Great beer selection, too!
Ask for the 'locals' discount... 20%. shhh.....
kurt
hikeaz

Socialpelli

Descriptions 5
Routes 0
Photosets 47
Triplogs 174

Postby Dschur » Aug 30 2011 4:57 pm

We eat at the We Cook Pasta and Pizza place alot when we are at the canyon. It is good the helpings are huge so if you get like spagetti you could share it with two people. Was about 11 dollars I think and comes with salad bar which is typical iceberg and a few toppings. They have huge calazones. The Yippy I aye (sp) salloon is a good steak house with medium prices. There is a pizza hut in the IMAX and a deli there. Icecream place next to Pasta place. Wendys prices are more normal.. Really good breakfasts at the Tusayan Cafe and a lot less than McDonalds breakfasts. They have good typical cafe food there. The Spaghetti Western was a good italian place but is gone. I haven't eaten at any of the hotels like the Grand or the Best Western one.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--
Dschur

Fossil Kokopelli

Descriptions 13
Routes 0
Photosets 26
Triplogs 50

Postby Rob del Desierto » Aug 30 2011 4:59 pm

The Carvel's next to the pizza joint is closed.
-Old Spiritual
2013-2014 HAZ Road Rally
Rob del Desierto

Culture Kokopelli

Descriptions 128
Routes 91
Photosets 305
Triplogs 890

Postby azbackpackr » Aug 30 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks everyone! :)
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 106
Photosets 244
Triplogs 441

Postby PLC92084 » Aug 30 2011 6:14 pm

You guys are awesome! You've experienced the cuisine and have lived to tell the tale!
PLC92084

∞kopelli

Descriptions 2
Routes 17
Photosets 10
Triplogs 355

Postby azbackpackr » Aug 30 2011 6:41 pm

PLC92084 wrote:You guys are awesome! You've experienced the cuisine and have lived to tell the tale!

Somehow I think use of the word "cuisine" is a bit of a stretch... ;)
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 106
Photosets 244
Triplogs 441

Postby rwstorm » Aug 30 2011 7:50 pm

Probably the best eats in Tusayan are in Flagstaff. ;)
rwstorm

Car Campin Kopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 35
Photosets 508
Triplogs 520

Postby azbackpackr » Aug 31 2011 5:54 am

RWStorm wrote:Probably the best eats in Tusayan are in Flagstaff. ;)

Yeah, I agree. But Rob and now my pal "GC Mike" tell me the pizza place is not bad.
azbackpackr

Raftapelli

Descriptions 16
Routes 106
Photosets 244
Triplogs 441

Postby Dave1 » Aug 31 2011 1:28 pm

I think the Krispy Kreme that was next to Pizza Hut is now closed. No reason to stop in Tusayan anymore....
Dave1

aridkopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 25
Photosets 86
Triplogs 1,301

Postby hikeaz » Aug 31 2011 2:33 pm

My usual stop on the GC to Phx.run is the 'Roadhouse' in Bellemont, next to the Harley dealership, right on I-40. I love the micro-brew selection and you cannot complain to the cook, either, because it will be YOU! They also have a salad bar, important as I am generally craving 'greens' after my longer backpacks and like a salad-bar handy for, as Paulie used to say, 'ma-jor grind-age'.
When headed from the Village to the Valley, SR 64 shaves about 45 minutes off of the trip vs. using 180. Yes, 64 is less scenic for sure - I save 180 for when I have tourist-types in town that want to see the Canyon. Stopping @ the Roadhouse also 'breaks up' the drive some.
kurt
hikeaz

Socialpelli

Descriptions 5
Routes 0
Photosets 47
Triplogs 174

HAZ Forum Guidelines
Support your opinion with facts.

Responding to members you disagree with is permitted if courteous.

Making first time posters or anyone feel unwelcome on site is unacceptable.

Do not post photos or a journal of a trip in the forum.
Use the Post button found in the upper left corner of every page.

Linking offsite is spam unless... [ read more ]

Return to Food/Recipes