Welcome to the HAZ Forum
Username
Password
Stay on Help
Trail/Area Specific Trail Chat
Car camping around Blue Ridge Reservoir?
Day Hiking & general trail related
Linked Descriptions None

Car camping around Blue Ridge Reservoir?

Postby domromer » Jul 28 2009 11:23 am

My wife and I are wanting to try out our new camping hammocks. We were thinking of car camping around the Blue Ridge Reservoir. Does anyone know if there are any car camping spots out that way? Maybe close enough to walk to the water? Also we were thinking of trying FS 95 out by Kinder Crossing. Any good areas out there? Does the toad cross east clear creek at any point?
domromer

Flutin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 42
Triplogs 44

Re: Car camping around Blue Ridge Reservoir?

Postby chumley » Jul 28 2009 12:10 pm

I always like the southern side of the reservoir. Take the Rim Road and drive up Battleground Ridge (FR 123) to the end of the road near the pumping station. There's a nice trail down to the lake from there (Rock Crossing), or you can go cross-country down just about anywhere. The hilltop is plenty flat with lots of options for some secluded camping, though the area closest to the Historical Monument at the Battle of Big Dry Wash tends to get some random traffic just because there's a sign for it.

If you go, post a trip log for the trail to the lake. For some reason, its not in HAZ.

There's some nice camp spots down by the lake, including a cool cave/overhang that gets a fair amount of use. But stick with your car at the top of the hill and just make the hike down for fishing or waterplay.

Here's a link to the area on the HAZ Map: http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?L ... =15&M=6&G=
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 42
Routes 212
Photosets 294
Triplogs 511

Postby chumley » Jul 28 2009 12:17 pm

FR 95 also crosses ECC at a three-way junction with FR 96 just south of the Moqui Lookout Tower. FR95 has a new guardrail on it that they put up last winter, which is nice if you're a nervous driver, because the road down is a bit of an adventure ... though very well maintained and very scenic.

There's always water in the creek at the bottom, and if you're into climbing, there's a great and popular climbing area here as well.

I don't know of any good camping spots in the area. I think up on top of the hill near Moqui is a quite rocky area, and you don't want any part of the Kinder Crossing trailhead road as it is very rocky and extremely popular. The hike down is fun though, and I would recommend Kinder Crossing as a nice short dayhike to anybody who hasn't done it.
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=426
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 42
Routes 212
Photosets 294
Triplogs 511

Postby domromer » Jul 28 2009 2:45 pm

chumley wrote:I always like the southern side of the reservoir. Take the Rim Road and drive up Battleground Ridge (FR 123) to the end of the road near the pumping station. There's a nice trail down to the lake from there (Rock Crossing), or you can go cross-country down just about anywhere. The hilltop is plenty flat with lots of options for some secluded camping, though the area closest to the Historical Monument at the Battle of Big Dry Wash tends to get some random traffic just because there's a sign for it.

If you go, post a trip log for the trail to the lake. For some reason, its not in HAZ.

There's some nice camp spots down by the lake, including a cool cave/overhang that gets a fair amount of use. But stick with your car at the top of the hill and just make the hike down for fishing or waterplay.

Here's a link to the area on the HAZ Map: http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?L ... =15&M=6&G=

Is it possible to take the 300 from where it connects to the 87? I've always got on the 300 over by woods canyon lake but I don't know the road condition of the 300 close to the AZ. I just need a road that can be done in a subaru forester.

Here is the area I was speaking of.
Picture2-14.jpg
domromer

Flutin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 42
Triplogs 44

Postby chumley » Jul 28 2009 3:20 pm

Yes, its a MUCH shorter drive to that point from HWY 87. It's 10-11 miles to FR123. Both the Rim Road and FR123 are sedan accessible, but you can go a bit faster if you have a truck!
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 42
Routes 212
Photosets 294
Triplogs 511

Postby chumley » Jul 28 2009 4:07 pm

So I've been in Europe for a few weeks and just noticed that there's been a fire burning in the area. As of the last update, FR123 is closed to traffic. Here's the latest update from the Coconino NF Website. Please call the Blue Ridge Ranger Station before you go to get the latest update as the fire has been extinguished and shouldn't be posing a danger to vehicular traffic anymore.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/news/2 ... sure.shtml
chumley

Relaxopelli

Descriptions 42
Routes 212
Photosets 294
Triplogs 511

Postby Nighthiker » Jul 29 2009 12:01 pm

Was going to post about the fire, came back two weeks ago and there was a fire burning south of Blue Ridge and another fire about five miles west of Clints Well. Very good camping trip.
jk
Nighthiker

Tutin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 9

Postby domromer » Jul 29 2009 12:04 pm

Anyone know the # for the blue ridge ranger station?
domromer

Flutin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 42
Triplogs 44

Postby Nighthiker » Jul 29 2009 12:07 pm

928-477-2255
jk
Nighthiker

Tutin' Kokopelli

Descriptions 0
Routes 0
Photosets 0
Triplogs 9

HAZ Forum Guidelines
Support your opinion with facts.

Responding to members you disagree with is permitted if courteous.

Making first time posters or anyone feel unwelcome on site is unacceptable.

Do not post photos or a journal of a trip in the forum.
Use the Post button found in the upper left corner of every page.

Linking offsite is spam unless... [ read more ]

Return to Trail Chat