Segments 23 and 24 in Late November

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions None
DallinW
Tundrapelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Segments 23 and 24 in Late November

Postby DallinW » Nov 13 2015 4:58 pm

I'm thinking about knocking out the Mazatzal Divide and Red Hills segments over thanksgiving weekend with a few buddies, but I'm unsure just how cold it's going to be up there. The Historical Weather data says High of 63 and a low of 30, which seems doable with some extra layers and a careful eye on the weather before the trip. But the weather station the data is read from is 15 miles away and 5000 ft below the highpoint of the Mazzie Divide.

I did Reavis Ranch last year during Thanksgiving Weekend and although it was chilly at night and in the morning during the day it was perfect, but Reavis is a few thousand below the Mazzie highpoints. There are a few triplogs that are backpacking trips in early November on the Mazzie Divide, but after that its all day hikes.

Any information about typical temperatures near the highpoints of the Mazzie Divide in late November would be appreciated. I'm not sure if it's quite the right time of year to be up there or not.

Thanks

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Segments 23 and 24 in Late November

Postby Tough_Boots » Nov 13 2015 5:30 pm

go to the National Weather Service website http://www.weather.gov. Zoom into their map until you can pinpoint the divide and click on it. It will adjust your forecast from the nearest weather center based on elevation.
"Backpacking has as much to do with what I carry inside as with what goes into the pack. It connects me with woundedness as well as with wonder."
--Belden C. Lane

DallinW
Tundrapelli

Postby DallinW » Nov 13 2015 5:36 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:go to the National Weather Service website http://www.weather.gov. Zoom into their map until you can pinpoint the divide and click on it. It will adjust your forecast from the nearest weather center based on elevation.

Perfect. Thank you!

The_Eagle
Eaglepelli
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Postby The_Eagle » Nov 13 2015 5:59 pm

@Chum_Boots Good info...
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

DallinW
Tundrapelli

Postby DallinW » Nov 13 2015 6:08 pm

Ha. I think I'm going blind. :sweat:

mazatzal
Mazopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Postby mazatzal » Nov 13 2015 6:21 pm

@DallinW
Unless we get a winter storm between now and then I think you should go 4 it! If we do get a storm then dealing with some deep snow can be a problem :sweat: Check the forecast as well...
Just take some warm gear for the cool mornings ;)

DallinW
Tundrapelli

Postby DallinW » Nov 13 2015 6:37 pm

mazatzal wrote:@DallinW
Unless we get a winter storm between now and then I think you should go 4 it! If we do get a storm then dealing with some deep snow can be a problem :sweat: Check the forecast as well...
Just take some warm gear for the cool mornings ;)

If we luck out and get some warmer weather and it doesn't snow we will go for it.

My quilt is rated for 20 but really that means 30 most of the time, so anything below that and I would have to buy some new equipment or haul up an old 0 degree car camping bag I have laying around... which I'm not particularly interested in either of those options.

Looking at alternatives now, but hoping we somehow luck out with the weather. :)

mazatzal
Mazopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Postby mazatzal » Nov 13 2015 10:19 pm

I hope weather cooperates and you can go. It's a great trip :)

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Postby Sredfield » Nov 16 2015 5:07 pm

Carefully boil water and put it in a bottle, put the bottle in your bag. Set up to do it again during the night. Be careful with the stove.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

DallinW
Tundrapelli

Postby DallinW » Nov 16 2015 7:22 pm

With all the rain and (presumed) snow that area has gotten this week, is it pretty safe to assume all w3's (AZT guidebook) will be running? I was considering hauling some gallons up Barnhardt next weekend, but if these storms keep coming I might reconsider doing that.

rcorfman
Trendsettin' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby rcorfman » Nov 16 2015 7:32 pm

DallinW wrote:With all the rain and (presumed) snow that area has gotten this week, is it pretty safe to assume all w3's (AZT guidebook) will be running? I was considering hauling some gallons up Barnhardt next weekend, but if these storms keep coming I might reconsider doing that.

It's pretty safe to assume that w3s are always running. I would imagine it will be safe to assume all w1s are good.
Go find a LonelyCache

DallinW
Tundrapelli

Postby DallinW » Nov 16 2015 7:36 pm

rcorfman wrote:
DallinW wrote:With all the rain and (presumed) snow that area has gotten this week, is it pretty safe to assume all w3's (AZT guidebook) will be running? I was considering hauling some gallons up Barnhardt next weekend, but if these storms keep coming I might reconsider doing that.

It's pretty safe to assume that w3s are always running. I would imagine it will be safe to assume all w1s are good.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear :)

Return to “AZT Hiking”