#15 Tortilla Mountains Water Cache

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions None
garyc57
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

#15 Tortilla Mountains Water Cache

Postby garyc57 » Nov 18 2015 9:09 pm

The Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving, my son and I are hiking Segment # 15, the Tortilla Mountains. A kind friend has offered to drive us out this Saturday morning (the 20th) in his 4x4 pickup to cache some water about 12 miles in. The plan is to drive out the Florence - Kelvin Highway, turn onto the Kelvin Highway, then onto the "N Tecolote Rd", and follow it, until we're close to the Trail.

Question # 1 - What's the condition of this "N Tecolote Rd"? Has anyone driven it recently? Is it a decent dirt road, or is it just a "jeep track"? Using Google Maps, it looks "OK", but I'd prefer a on-the-ground report!

Question # 2 - Since I'm headed that way already, would anyone like me to cache some water for them? I live in Mesa - Stapley & Southern are the nearest crossroads. I'd need the water by Friday evening. IM me if you're interested. When it's cached, I'll send you the Lat/Long, and a picture or three to help you find it.

Gary

rcorfman
Seed Sowin' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: #15 Tortilla Mountains Water Cache

Postby rcorfman » Nov 18 2015 10:05 pm

I really liked that segment. I hiked both 14 and 15 on the same trip, taking two days for each. I carried all my water from the Freeman Rd trailhead for that passage so have no information on the road conditions. Enjoy your trip!
Go find a LonelyCache

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Postby Sredfield » Nov 19 2015 6:43 am

There is a two track heading south southeast off the Florence Kelvin Highway that runs kind of along the rim of Ripsey Wash. I've driven out there to the AZT several times, it's a slow go but we made it in high clearance. It intersects the AZT south of a metal gate. Posted a public route called "So Ripsey Access" and the track is the red line.

The Freeman Rd cache was way full of water a month ago when we painted the kiosk there. We will be installing a shade ramada there on Dec 1.

I don't know about the Tecalote Rd.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

garyc57
Junior Kokopelli

Postby garyc57 » Nov 22 2015 6:15 am

Follow-up...

My friend and I decided to use Srefield's "So Ripsey Access" route, because...

1) It was shorter than the "N Tecolote Rd" route, and...
2) It intersected the Trail at 15.25 miles, whereas the Tecolote Rd intersects at around 13.1. I wanted to be further in before we hit the cache.

Sredfield is right - the road is definitely "slow go". Lots of deep ruts across the road made for an interesting ride. High clearance is a must, and 4x4 is almost mandatory. Lots of brush alongside the road - so plan on some pin striping, unless your vehicle is narrower than most.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Gary

garyc57
Junior Kokopelli

Postby garyc57 » Dec 05 2015 8:36 am

All,

Well, the hike is over and I survived (thanks to my son and wife!).

However, we missed the water cache. :oops: So, almost 4 gallons are still waiting to be used. One gallon has been opened, and partially used. Another gallon - somehow - got a pin hole in it near the bottom. It's the one sitting upside down. Please use it first. The other two gallons are still sealed.

Here's the Lat/Long where the cache is: 33.008251, -111.003234

When I eventually get around to posting the triplog and photoset, the first picture will be where I cached the water.

Thanks for all your help,
Gary

P.S. If you find a pair of prescription glasses - they're mine! ](*,)

DallinW
Tundrapelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Postby DallinW » Dec 05 2015 8:55 am

garyc57 wrote:All,

Here's the Lat/Long where the cache is: 33.008251, -111.003234

P.S. If you find a pair of prescription glasses - they're mine! ](*,)

Me and my cousin will keep an eye out for your glasses, and also for that water cache. Were any guidebook water sources running at all in segment 15?
Last edited by DallinW on Dec 05 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Postby big_load » Dec 05 2015 12:15 pm

garyc57 wrote:P.S. If you find a pair of prescription glasses - they're mine! ](*,)
Oh no! I go back and forth over which glasses and sunglasses to bring on a hike. I worry more about scratching them on trees and rocks than leaving them on the trail, but I do worry quite a bit about leaving sunglasses in a hotel or rental car. I have to stick to my procedures.

Trew
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Florence, AZ

Postby Trew » Dec 05 2015 12:25 pm

No natural water in this area? I hope to be through this section in early April on the way to Picketpost from the border.

Very interesting information.

garyc57
Junior Kokopelli

Postby garyc57 » Dec 06 2015 5:48 am

DallinW wrote:Were any guidebook water sources running at all in segment 15?

I was so focused on putting one foot in front of the other, and knowing that our water cache was waiting for us - that we didn't look for any of the guidebook's water sources. If a water source didn't cross the trail, I didn't look for it. I didn't see any water on the trail - a few damp spots, maybe, but no standing water. Sorry.

garyc57
Junior Kokopelli

Postby garyc57 » Dec 06 2015 5:54 am

big_load wrote:Oh no! I go back and forth over which glasses and sunglasses to bring on a hike.

When I hike, I bring a cheap pair of Wal-Mart readers for reading the fine print on the GPS. As for sunglasses - I never wear 'em. I worry that the tinting will reduce my ability to spot rattlesnakes! :scared:

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli

Postby CannondaleKid » Dec 06 2015 7:40 am

garyc57 wrote:As for sunglasses - I never wear 'em. I worry that the tinting will reduce my ability to spot rattlesnakes!
I never wear sunglasses while hiking either... but no rattlesnake worries, just eye-strain.

Years ago, when I wore sunglasses while hiking on bright days I felt more eye-strain after a hike than when just wearing glasses. As an experiment I stopped wearing (prescription) sunglasses, wearing my clear prescription glasses instead and I found eye-strain was no longer an issue.

I could hike without glasses (far-sighted in one, near-sighted in the other, almost exact opposites) but as much as I hate wearing glasses, I ALWAYS wear them while hiking for safety...

Since most of my hikes involve bushwhacking, getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick is an ever-present hazard, one which has happened too many times to count.

The worst being one I'm sure I would have lost my left eye if not for my glasses... it was a pretty solid branch sticking out of a tree straight at me so it blended in with the trunk and I walked directly into it. The end of the branch hit solid on the left lens then slid onto my nose, slicing a 3/4" gash in my nose, the end result being a scar on my nose which I'll carry to my dying day.
CannondaleKid
... aka the CherokeeKid
PHOTOS & VIDEOS:
http://www.changephoenix.com/index.html

hikerdw
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Postby hikerdw » Dec 06 2015 3:54 pm

@DallinWI was out there yesterday and there is water about a half mile off the trail at an unnamed ranch setup in Ripsey Wash south of where the trail crosses the wash. The water trough was full. I will post my trip log tomorrow.

Return to “AZT Hiking”