Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions None
Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Black Friday at Arizona State Parks

Postby Tough_Boots » Nov 22 2015 11:09 am

AZ state parks are joining the whole #optout bandwagon. Free admission on Black Friday :y:

http://www.azcentral.c...
"Backpacking has as much to do with what I carry inside as with what goes into the pack. It connects me with woundedness as well as with wonder."
--Belden C. Lane

Jim_H
KittY Peakopelli

Re: Black Friday at Arizona State Parks

Postby Jim_H » Nov 22 2015 11:17 am

Why do Americans associate, "Black Friday", with anything other than a mass murder or some sort of public genocide? It just sounds like something you'd learn about in a HS history class as having happened in the 1960s in a 3rd world country, perhaps during a coup d'état or a opposition cleansing by a ruling party.

Consumption's, retail's, and business's grip on our culture is so weird. So am I, I know that, but I don't care. Much like you probably don't care about this post. That said, Black Friday was originally about retailers fiscal year entering the black, and no longer being in the red, IE turning a profit. How we started to celebrate it as a pseudo national holiday boggles my mind.

All that said, it is nice that the parks are fee free, too bad I'll be at work.
Sick and tired of our government infringing upon my Third Amendment Rights!

gummo
Legless Lizard Kopelli
City, State: mesa

Postby gummo » Nov 22 2015 12:24 pm

Sweet! I'll be there fighting and pushing people of my way to the top of Picacho Peak in celebrating Black Friday because that's what Jesus would do.

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Postby cactuscat » Nov 23 2015 10:14 am

There is a lot of misinformation going around, even in newspaper articles and REI's website ... it is not just free admission for everyone to AZ state parks on Friday - you have to go into an REI between Nov. 21st and 25th and pick up a pass to get the free admission!
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, and leading to the most amazing view."
- Edward Abbey

Don't piss off the locals!

trekkin_gecko
Goat Hill Kokopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Postby trekkin_gecko » Nov 23 2015 10:22 am

nikorock28
Thumb Butte Bandito
City, State: South Rim, AZ

Postby nikorock28 » Nov 23 2015 12:02 pm

REI should have made passes available online to print at one's leisure.

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Postby JasonCleghorn » Nov 23 2015 1:18 pm

I'm going to state a likely unpopular and very contrarian opinion but I think REI has milked this for way more than this is worth and its nothing more than a marketing scheme to sell more stuff at full price. If the above is true about having to go into an REI to get the pass, that all but confirms my suspicions.

I'm not trying to be anti-capitalist/marketing etc. but its almost as if they think they deserve a Nobel Peace prize. There are tons of reasons to get outside, but not going into an REI on Black Friday is way way down the list.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"

chumley
the business end
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Postby chumley » Nov 23 2015 1:47 pm

@skillpore
cactuscat wrote:you have to go into an REI between Nov. 21st and 25th and pick up a pass to get the free admission!
It's Business time!

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Postby SpiderLegs » Nov 23 2015 2:28 pm

Well it doesn't make sense for me to go an hour out of my way to save $7 on a park pass. If I go to a state park on Friday I will just cough up the $7. My free time is worth a lot more than $7-$10 an hour. But it's a nice PR move on REI's part.

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer

Postby cactuscat » Nov 23 2015 3:09 pm

nikorock28 wrote:REI should have made passes available online to print at one's leisure.

But then you wouldn't have to go into a store - and probably end up buying something! ;)
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, and leading to the most amazing view."
- Edward Abbey

nikorock28
Thumb Butte Bandito

Postby nikorock28 » Nov 23 2015 3:48 pm

cactuscat wrote:
nikorock28 wrote:REI should have made passes available online to print at one's leisure.

But then you wouldn't have to go into a store - and probably end up buying something! ;)

Oh, I know. It is actually a pretty clever idea on REI's part and will likely bolster sales. But, I am not exactly the impulse buyer that they are marketing towards. :) I have actually never been in an REI before or purchased anything from them! I have no clue where they are located either. My go to is Sierra Trading Post because whatever you need is generally on clearance or will be in a short period of time.

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Postby rwstorm » Nov 23 2015 3:55 pm

@nikorock28
Bravo! I have never been inside one of their stores either, and have no intention of ever doing so.

johnlp
Roastapelli
City, State: chandler,az

Postby johnlp » Nov 23 2015 4:10 pm

Along with free hiking passes REI also serves free beer, which is why I go there frequently.
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

nikorock28
Thumb Butte Bandito

Postby nikorock28 » Nov 23 2015 4:54 pm

rwstorm wrote:@nikorock28
Bravo! I have never been inside one of their stores either, and have no intention of ever doing so.

Actually, after thinking about it a little more, I believe I did go into one of their stores somewhere in Phoenix in 2010. I had first started hiking and the girl who got me into hiking told me to go to REI to purchase my hiking boots. I went there, but found everything overpriced, so shopped online and got something at a much more reasonable price point. I have nothing against REI or any retailer, but wherever the best deal is will always earn my business.

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Postby rwstorm » Nov 23 2015 5:01 pm

@nikorock28
I looked in the window of one in Santa Fe once. ;)

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Postby Tough_Boots » Nov 23 2015 8:04 pm

Jason Cleghorn wrote:its nothing more than a marketing scheme

duh... They've had no problem publicly admitting that-- the CEO has been pretty open about it in a few interviews. I think that its proof that some marketing can be positive to your community while still being profitable and I'd like to see more like it.
"Backpacking has as much to do with what I carry inside as with what goes into the pack. It connects me with woundedness as well as with wonder."
--Belden C. Lane

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer

Postby cactuscat » Nov 23 2015 10:42 pm

@skillpore
Yes, that's a free annual pass (worth $75) ... Top ten "liked" photos on Facebook win those.
- Edward Abbey

Return to “Trail Chat”