Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions None
Tortoise_Hiker
Genuinepelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

2016 Hazolutions

Postby Tortoise_Hiker » Dec 06 2015 8:14 am

Hello Hazers,
Another year winding down. I would love to here how your year went and what Hazolutions you have for 2016. I hope you had a good year and 2016 is even better.
I had a fun year but an injury put a damper on part of it. I still got to do some awesome hikes and a lot of hikes with my son which I really enjoy. My miles are way down but I still enjoyed the year. Thanks to all the Hazers I got to hike with and the triplogs of the ones I didn't. The triplogs alone can perk you right up.
LiLD got married and I have a new awesome Daughter in Law and two awesome grandkids! Heather's doing good as well. When the kids are happy dad is happy :D .
I want to do a few new hikes this year and maybe get around to some new areas for me. Maybe get down south a little more. Try to get LiLD in the Canyon. Meet some more Hazers and hike with some old ones.
Cheers to all you Hazers and may it be your happiest year ever! :y:

P.S. GPSJOE gone but not forgotten.
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

trekkin_gecko
Goat Hill Kokopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Re: 2016 Hazolutions

Postby trekkin_gecko » Dec 06 2015 8:38 am

2015 highlights:
baboquivari via se arête with mike (fletch's bf) - bucket list item
sierra trip with lp and denny - two awesome hikes with great company
backpacking trip to reavis ranch - near bucket list item with great company (wade, mj and larry) and a good experience

in 2016, hope to feel healthy again
been battling a piriformis issue that limits my running and steeper hikes
otherwise, more of everything :)

p.s. johnr1 gone but not forgotten
Last edited by trekkin_gecko on Dec 07 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Postby Al_HikesAZ » Dec 06 2015 9:32 am

My 2015 Resolution was to lose 10 lbs. I'm close. I only have 13 lbs to go.

2016 Resolution. Try to be Nice. Notice I didn't say be nice, just "Try to be Nice". I should be able to do that.

p.s. Remembering Johnr1.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

DallinW
Tundrapelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Postby DallinW » Dec 06 2015 9:38 am

2015:

Generally, I got outside on a level I never had before in my life before 2015. Here are some of the highlights that stood out the most this year:

- Havasupai
- The 33 mile day on the AZT Blue Ridge segment.
- First time experiencing the Sierra Nevada (Yosemite NP) and the Rockies (Rocky Mountain NP and Colorado Trail), proper.
- First time hiking at high altitudes. (12,000ft+)
- My Colorado Trail thru-hike attempt.
- First 14ers. (Elbert and Quandary)
- 1000 cumulative miles hiked. (I'm sitting at 992 in mapmyhike atm and I have over 100 miles planned before January.)
- Down 64 lbs since the beginning of the year. (Down 130 lbs total since I started hiking, backpacking, and watching my diet back in June of 2014.)

2016:
- Thru-hike the Colorado Trail.
- Finish segment hiking the AZT.
- More 14ers and peaks.
- I still need to lose a few more lbs (~20 - 30lbs).

Jim_H
KittY Peakopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby Jim_H » Dec 06 2015 10:02 am

Highlights to 2015? I would say adding in a few more Humphrey Summits and enjoying being on The Peaks regularly again (except for the north side where I had that fall with lasting repercussion to my knee) and steadily working my way towards 100 Humphrey summits, which I guess is a nice goal for sometime in the next few years. I really like The Peaks, so that was a huge + for me, and being on The Peaks in snow again last month was also very fun. The quiet and isolation is something I enjoy far more now than I did when I lived in Flag, too. I enjoyed being out a lot, and enjoyed Spring in the Catalinas a good deal.

One curious note for this year, is that I have not left Arizona, and not even come close to doing so. I was last out of state in December of last year when in Winterhaven, CA. I think this is a first, or the first time I haven't left the state I resided in, since....well, ever. I would like to try to keep it this way until the year's end.

If I have any goals next year, it might be to stop doing excercise hikes for AEG or maybe at all. Moving to the Valley has changed me, with regard to hiking preferences. I now mind constantly being surrounded by people, and can't stand having the smells and sounds of them all around, non-stop, everywhere!! Being subjected to their music, conversations, and so on, has driven me off certain hikes. Believe it or not, I did not have this before, even in Tucson. I'd like to summit Humphrey in deep snow in January or early February, and hike some stuff in SW AZ. Also, I want to go places I have not been, so there are plenty of places I can go.
Sick and tired of our government infringing upon my Third Amendment Rights!

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Postby big_load » Dec 06 2015 11:10 am

A few of my 2015 goals fell victim to late-breaking schedule problems, but it was still a great year. Here are a few highlights:

I finally got Mrs. big_load up into the alpine on a backpack.
Hiked a bunch of great canyons and visited a multitude of special ruins, including Moonhouse.
Dragged Mrs. big_load through the brush to a wild ruin that (to my knowledge) lacks a publicized name.
Introduced Cousin G. to the Supes.
Hiked in snow in eight different months.

Next year, my big trip will be 10 days hiking in the Scottish Highlands with some buddies from another forum. It's probably time to start planning.

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Postby SuperstitionGuy » Dec 06 2015 4:23 pm

I have really been enjoying virtually all of your trips on HAZ this year. :thanx:
However I did do one short loop from the First Water Horse Lot with some of my grandsons this fall. :y:

No pictures however because I was struggling along with my bad knees while using my hiking staff to keep me upright. :stretch:

For 2016 I plan on no hikes but will repent and schedule a time to locate some pictures of the old Reavis Ranch and post them for you.

Merry Christmas all....
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli

Postby CannondaleKid » Dec 06 2015 6:06 pm

I just hit my tentative goals of 300k AEG and 1,000 miles (actually at 999) for 2015.
Being 40% more than 2014 on miles and 50% higher on AEG, if I match 2015 or even come close in 2016 I'll be happy.
But then I'll be happy just to be hiking.
CannondaleKid
... aka the CherokeeKid
PHOTOS & VIDEOS:
http://www.changephoenix.com/index.html

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Postby big_load » Dec 06 2015 6:11 pm

@SuperstitionGuy Maybe one of my 2016 goals should be asking you for a shuttle ride. :)

gummo
Legless Lizard Kopelli
City, State: mesa

Postby gummo » Dec 06 2015 7:54 pm

2015 highlights!

1) Snake Road in October
2) Seeing 64 and counting new species
3) Seeing 33 and counting coyotes
4) Florida trip in January with the mom and seeing wildlife with her.
5) Anza Borrego/San Diego trip in March

2015 lowlights:

1) Being overlooked by People magazine for being the Sexiest Man Alive. What a crock!
2) Carly Simon still refuses to apologize to me for writing that song about me. :x
3) I didn't lose weight.
4) Didn't win the lottery.
5) Two of my herping spots in CA got raided by people who don't know how to herp (or don't care) and are pretty much useless. :(

2016 goals:

1) Mountain bike once a week until March and then in November and December.
2) Explore San Carlos Reservation in summer
3) Do a trip to Boise and explore the surrounding area
4) Get to my goal weight of 180lbs by losing 10lbs.
5) Photograph a ridgenosed rattlesnake.
6) See Grand Canyon
7) Snake Road in October
8 ) Explore Myrtle Beach area (maybe)
9) See whooping cranes off the Texas coast in January
10) Start photographing people

Jim_H
KittY Peakopelli

Postby Jim_H » Dec 06 2015 8:08 pm

As for the 2015 lowlight #1 and the goal for 2016 #10, I submit exhibit A.
Sick and tired of our government infringing upon my Third Amendment Rights!

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Williams, AZ

Postby azbackpackr » Dec 07 2015 4:36 am

2015 highlights:
Hiking: finally found shoes that don't hurt my feet, so I started hiking again around Williams/Flag in the summer, climbing BW Mtn., etc., and gradually got back in some semblance of shape. 30 miles in Havasupai in Sept. and a five Day solo R2R backpack in Oct. which was far more fun than I thought it would be.
Kayaking: Almost finished my "pet project" of paddling the lower Colorado River from Hoover Dam to Mexican border. Had some super fun multiday kayak trips. Went to Baja near Mulege for a week of paddling in April. Paddled a lot of the little lakes in N. AZ, San Diego Harbor, Mission Bay, etc. etc.
Biking: Not so much. Hit and miss on biking.

2016 goals
Hiking: Get back my fitness to the point where I can do a 20-mile day hike. I'll test myself hiking Sabino to Catalina State Park.
Road biking--still hoping to complete a century, maybe this is the year since I spent a lot of money having my bike worked on and re-fitted!
Backpacking: Hoping to knock off another Grand Canyon big trail, such as North Bass or Nanko, sometime during the year. I am pretty sure I will be living in Page March-November and working outdoors on the water. So, North Rim hikes won't be too far away.
Kayaking--I'll still be working on completing the Colorado River and its reservoirs, a little at a time.

In May I hope to graduate with my MA, so no more studying!! Studying has kept me indoors far too much the past two and a half years.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Postby autumnstars » Dec 07 2015 8:33 am

This coming year:
1: Complete my last section of the Tonto Trail - the Gems. Finally! Permit in hand for early March.
2: More backpacking, even if just small over-nighters. Only 2 backpacking trips this year. Just depressing.
3: Explore new-to-me areas nearby.
4: More canyons.
5: Help my mother train for a half-marathon. Also, participate in said half-marathon. She wants it, so that's good enough for me.

Looked back and I didn't make any Hazolutions for 2015, so guess I reached my goal! :lol:
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Williams, AZ

Postby azbackpackr » Dec 07 2015 8:39 am

@autumnstars
I'd love to do the Gems as well. Are you doing an out-and-back? I've heard early March is best for that section due to water issues. But I'll be training for a new job in early March so I didn't put in for it.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Postby Tough_Boots » Dec 07 2015 12:46 pm

@azbackpackr We did it in mid-March and had no water issues.
"Backpacking has as much to do with what I carry inside as with what goes into the pack. It connects me with woundedness as well as with wonder."
--Belden C. Lane

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Postby JasonCleghorn » Dec 07 2015 1:08 pm

2015 Highlights:
My first 10'er. May not sound like much unless you grew up at 300 feet or spent the last 16 years living at sea level...
Meeting a bunch of new outdoors focused friends.
Getting pretty familiar with at least the Western Supes.
Falling in love with Flagstaff
A non-hiking trip to Utah, but the drive up/through was divine.

2016 goals.
Humphreys
A crampon hike of any sort to gain snow experience
My first 14'er
Seven Summits raising money for charity
Crack 750 miles hiked, don't really care too much about AEG.
Complete a trail race no matter how short.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Postby autumnstars » Dec 07 2015 1:38 pm

@azbackpackr I will indeed be doing the Gems as an out-and-back, unless a solution suddenly pops up. Solo hiker with no 4WD vehicle makes the shuttle too complicated to set up. Definately, it might be plenty cold there in March in an El Niño year, but the less worry about water on the section, the better.

@Jason Cleghorn Depending on where you live, Lost Dutchman Marathon could provide a good trail race - there is an 8K trail distance and lot of fun when I did it last year.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Postby PatrickL » Dec 07 2015 3:37 pm

Everything I said in the 2015 thread because I didn't do any of it.

wha
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Arizona

Postby wha » Dec 07 2015 4:09 pm

2015 lows: a month in a wheelchair not knowing if I would hike again

2015 highs: nine months later summiting Wrightson

2016 goals: get better

syoung
Lil' Kokopelli

Postby syoung » Dec 08 2015 12:03 pm

2015 -

Without a doubt the most memorable hike of the year was the jaunt at the Grand Canyon that preceded me popping the question to my SO.

Approaching 300 times up to Flatiron.

Adjusting my yearly goals as I go based on my physical condition. I had originally started off shooting for 1000 miles. A slew of injuries slowed me down (mainly March & April, although I am currently nursing a knee). I am now focusing on trying to hit 400k AEG before the end of the year; 900 miles would also be nice but I am not sure I will have time for 50 more miles. Once the holidays kick in I’ll be spending a bunch of time in CA and then Disneyland for a few days.

First solo trip up Humphrey’s.

First time being on top of Weavers, thanks Joe and JJ!

Cleaning the mountain of roughly 100 dots and arrows.

Showing my cousin and his fiance a few local spots this summer. The plan was to do Whitney with them as well but my master’s thesis got in the way of those plans.

Experiencing the snow on top of Superstition around the 1st of the year was truly an unforgettable experience, here's to hoping for more of the same this winter!

2016-

Make it back out to the Sierra’s; at least to Whitney again. 2015 was the first year I wasn’t out there since I started hiking a few years ago. A lot of travel to other places, New York, Canada, San Diego, got in the way.

I’d like to get more unique hits this year. This was the year of Flatiron for me. I absolutely adore that mountain and can’t see myself letting up much (due to the condition it keeps me in and the overall beauty of the place) but I’d like to branch out a bit more. Finding the time to do so, however, is always the main hurdle for me. It is exceedingly hard to justify driving anywhere else when I can be on the trail in under 10 minutes from my driveway and then back in that same driveway 2 hours later.

Enjoy the moments on the mountain a bit more. I tend to avoid interactions with people while hiking. I am “on” all day long in my career. I have people coming up to me and asking questions, talking, etc and when I am on the mountain I tend to shut people out. Some of my most memorable moments, however, have come from interactions with strangers. I need to better realize this.

Get down into the Canyon again. Just like the Sierra’s I didn’t hike into the Canyon (other than for the engagement) this year at all for the first time.

A winter ascent of Humpheys.

Go explore Sedona.

Surpass this year’s totals in both mileage and AEG.

More in depth triplogs. Every hike is an adventure and needs to be properly documented. When I am older and greyer it would be nice to read about all my past adventures.

More overnight trips into the middle of the desert.

Enjoy my bachelors party lost in the Sierras for a few days

Get my brothers up Superstition the week they are out here for my wedding.

Ton’s more I haven’t even thought of yet.

Return to “General”