Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

To hide, or not to hide?

Post by Jim_H » Dec 01 2018 8:40 pm

Certain trip logs, that is.

Do people find they hide most of their logs for excercise or workouts? I can imagine some might have some very thin looking profiles if they hide all of the logs which would have a green heart, as well. I've been considering doing this. I think quite a few do, I never really thought about it until someone mentioned it to me today, and I realized I do leave a long trail of empty Piestewa Peak Summit Trail logs. My response was that no one is looking through all of them, so who cares, but other than the public nature allowing someone to look at a profile and see what someone tends to do, why not just start to hide empty logs entirely, or logs with a few personal thoughts which are a workout?
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: To hide, or not to hide?

Post by big_load » Dec 01 2018 9:33 pm

I hide mine so well that not even I can see them.

no avatar
DixieFlyer
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer » Dec 02 2018 5:47 am

If I do a repeat hike I usually don't create a trip log -- I don't want to clog up the triplogs with my own hikes.

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 02 2018 5:53 am

If I do a training hike or run generally I just hide it, unless something of interest popped up while I was out. Plus I use HAZ as my way of tracking overall mileage and AEG. I can look back over the years to see what kind of training I was doing leading up to a big hike or trail race so I know what I need to do for upcoming events.

lindaagm
TangyPlaid Slemonindapelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by lindaagm » Dec 02 2018 6:35 am

I create a triplog for every hike I do, but a lot of them are hidden. If it’s an empty triplog, or one of my repetitive workout hikes, I hide those. I’ll occasionally post a pic of a nice sunrise or sunset, but I know some people have even complained about those. Some of my longer workout hikes, or frequent hikes with friends, I’ll hide 1 week. I figure that if someone is following me, they’re interested in what I’m hiking for one reason or another. It’s easy to scroll past whatever looks boring. I do like seeing the workout hikes others I follow posted under the hide 1 week option—to me, there’s a sense of motivation and encouragement to see those hikes, but no need for them to show on the homepage. Bigger hikes, and more unique stuff, I don’t hide.
Last edited by lindaagm on Dec 02 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram: lindaagm

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 02 2018 7:01 am

I'm more likely to hide a triplog a week except 'following' if one or more are true:
1. It's a regular 'workout' hike
2. Nothing worth documenting and/or nothing out-of-the-ordinary happened and likely of no interest to others
3. I took no photos
If all three are true (or posting long after-the-fact) I usually hide the triplog completely.
CannondaleKid

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Dec 02 2018 8:30 am

@DixieFlyer
Logging a hike, no matter how repetitive, allows you to track the totals so you can see you hiked xxx,xxx a year or x,xxx,xxx. after 12 years. Such as with my Piestewa hikes, and others in the past, I log to track stats, mostly.

Well, with the consensus towards hiding, I guess I will start to hide my green heart logs, since most seem to do that, and frankly it is probably just worth doing. Probably, no one cares that I hike Piestewa a lot, and prefer it above all other local (in the Valley) hikes for training and routine fitness. I seldom write a word for them, anyway. I barely write many sentences for my "event" hikes either, but why hide them? My thoughts are important, and amusing.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

no avatar
DixieFlyer
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer » Dec 02 2018 8:44 am

Jim_H wrote: Logging a hike, no matter how repetitive, allows you to track the totals so you can see you hiked xxx,xxx a year or x,xxx,xxx. after 12 years.
Thanks...I never thought about doing that...I will start logging my repetitive hikes and hide them

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 02 2018 9:12 am

@DixieFlyer
I mark most of mine as a workout and I believe that hides them. They do show up if there is a photo set.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Dec 02 2018 2:43 pm

RowdyandMe wrote:
Dec 02 2018 9:12 am
I mark most of mine as a workout and I believe that hides them. They do show up if there is a photo set.
Is that the case? I've never marked any as a workout as I saw no reason too. I do hide my daily stuff unless something I think the general community might find interesting occurs.
Go find a LonelyCache

markthurman53
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, Arizona

Post by markthurman53 » Dec 02 2018 3:12 pm

Documenting and hiding is a good way to keep track of a daily routine. My wife use to think the 4 to 6 hundred miles I hiked each year was a lot but I showed her that the 3 miles a day she did with 200 AEG adds up to 1000 miles a year and 18,000 AEG.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Dec 04 2018 9:11 am

Curious on response I let it breathe to hear response before mentioning...
Typically what has gelled is found within FAQ. In this case the little black or hospital blue info buttons near options and such.

[ Hide Triplogs ]

[ hide one week ] loaded with info many have likely quickly ignored

HAZ is member driven. While I think this one is running on rails I'm open to change. Keep in mind the purpose of HAZ is to help current and future hikers.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 04 2018 2:04 pm

@joebartels - Right now I like the current system. If I'm doing 3 miles around my house on the social trails, I keep it hidden. But again, since moving to Tucson I do like seeing what people are doing around here for their workout hikes. Helped me find a few "go-to" trails within 15 minutes of my house that I use for training.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 04 2018 4:14 pm

@SpiderLegs
You moved to Tucson? Cool! I have lots of hiking pals there, but most are not regular HAZzers.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 04 2018 6:00 pm

@azbackpackr - Yep, had some family business that required a more watchful eye. Easier to keep an eye on things 5 minutes vs. 90 minutes.

Return to “General”