Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
desertdryad
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Heat, smoke, fires....

Post by desertdryad » Jun 17 2017 4:46 am

With the substantial number of fires and record breaking high temps predicted this weekend, what are folks planning? Hike early? Stay indoors? Drive out of state? :? I have an Aravaipa permit for Sunday, and I'm not so sure I'm going to use it....

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Re: Heat, smoke, fires....

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jun 17 2017 5:00 am

I have a new photo editing program so I am going through my over 12 year old photos shot with the less megapixel cameras to see if the pictures can be improved. It's a lot of photos.

Planning a return trip to the Gila Wilderness over July 4th, a really long weekend for me.

Some ebay research on larger screen, faster processor, solid state drive Win based rugged tablets for field map programs.

So, yeah, mostly indoors.

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Jun 17 2017 5:56 am

RedRoxx44 wrote:I have a new photo editing program so I am going through my over 12 year old photos
12 years of photos is quite a pile (file) of photos. I recently dumped Adobe Lightroom and Elements cause I don't want to pay a monthly rental fee. I have settled with On1 Photo RAW 2017 for Windows 10 on my HP laptop. I'm also experimenting with Affinity Photo for some detailed stuff that goes beyond On1. I recently backed up my photos from 2015 & 2016 and the count was almost 45,000 photo files :o

Sometimes I think there's a point where you cannot teach an old dog new tricks, but, hell, it's a learning experience, albeit, somewhat slower now and on these hot days I can review some older shots to see how they come out with a new photo editor... :D
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jun 17 2017 6:26 am

desertdryad wrote:what are folks planning?
The same as I normally do this time of year... hiking and mountain biking. After all, June is my most active peak bagging month so I see no reason to change now.

As long as the humidity is low in the mornings I'll start earlier, but as soon as it goes up I'll slide my hikes later in the day when it dries out. I've already been acclimatizing with midday hikes so if I start late or extend the hike, I know what to expect and am prepared for it.
CannondaleKid

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jun 17 2017 8:13 am

Night hike, sunrise bicycle ride and out at the archery range. Today though its yard work.
jk

SkyIslandHiker
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Jun 17 2017 10:21 am

Assuming our flights from Savannah GA to Tucson are on time, I plan on hiking Mt. Wrightson very early tomorrow morning. I can't wait to get back to the dry heat. Although only 85 degrees in Savanah yesterday afternoon the humidity was 82% which resulted in a heat index of 98.

desertdryad
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by desertdryad » Jun 19 2017 5:56 am

Well, I used my permit, and it was great! Wanted to make the TH by 5:30, but didn't get there until more like 6:15. I was a bit surprised to find several vehicles there, due to the heat. But once in the water that early, I could see why; it was gorgeous and comfortable for several hours. I had prior planned to ensure getting myself out of there by 12-ish, in order not to get overheated in the hottest part of the day. Since I took my time, and mostly walked in the streambed, I only made it to Virgus canyon. I was testing out new 'water shoes' which I'm not sure about, yet. I had to keep stopping to dump out river gravel! I didn't see any wildlife, other than TONS of fish in the water - large and small. This is my 6th time in Aravaipa, and I've never seen so many fish here!

What ended up really surprising me was the number of people coming IN as I was leaving the parking area... (at 1 pm). But for sure the most uncomfortable part of this hike was when I had to be out of the cooling water to climb up to the parking area..

Return to “General”