Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Trail Tree Trimming

Post by rcorfman » Nov 27 2017 2:42 pm

For the past few years, a Palo Verde tree near the top of the Ridgeline Trail in Deem Hills Phoenix Park has been decorated with Christmas tree ornaments. Sometime between when I passed the tree yesterday and today, it was decorated. I'm sure that there are trees along other trails that also get decorated each Christmas season.

Personally, I don't mind it and actually enjoy seeing this tree decorated, however I'm not too keen on it being decorated with glass ornaments, several of which will break when a storm passes through. This year, most of the ornaments are the glass ball type and there will be several breaking and littering the ground whenever it gets very windy.

What I'm contemplating doing is removing all the breakable ornaments. I would also leave a small sign next to the tree asking that any additional ornaments be non-breakable and that I will continue removing any breakable ornaments. I don't want to seem like a scrooge I just don't care to see colorful pieces of broken ornaments around the tree for the next several months.

I have no idea what Phoenix Parks and Rec's policy is. I do remember a big ado about that tree on Camelback last year but that was a different situation.

I'd love your thoughts on this.
Go find a LonelyCache

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Trail Tree Trimming

Post by chumley » Nov 27 2017 2:54 pm

rcorfman wrote:I'm not too keen on it being decorated with glass ornaments, several of which will break when a storm passes through.
Some form of this is true for any decoration. Paper and glittery stuff still falls off the tree and ends up blowing away. Birds and other animals might eat it and become ill or worse.

It's generally something that people do without considering the possible impact.

But it's a heavily used city park. People will do what they want regardless of Parks and Rec's policy or any of our thoughts on it.

Merry merry!
Profound observer

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 28 2017 12:47 pm

I see that stuff as trash and I assume those who don't celebrate Christmas find it annoying.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 29 2017 6:14 am

Tough_Boots wrote:those who don't celebrate Christmas find it annoying
Count me into the Scrooge club.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Nov 29 2017 7:41 am

perhaps urban trail tree trimming will tapper off with facial hair ornaments trending
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 29 2017 7:44 am

@joebartels
Would look perfect with an ugly sweater.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Nov 29 2017 8:56 am

I do not believe Xmas decorations should be left cluttering our hiking and backpacking routes, peaks, etc. Although a Christian and understand the meaning of Christmas I do not like the commercialization of it and do not put up Christmas lights on my home. I would would rather spend my time and dollars helping those truly in need. The last two weeks friends and I have been tearing apart and cleaning out a house that burned here in Apache Junction. The folks had no insurance and are now living in a small donated 5th wheel next to what is left of their home. If any of you would like to help just drive by 2185 W Greasewood St in Apache Junction and offer to help in whatever way you can.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Nov 29 2017 9:15 am

SuperstitionGuy wrote: Although a Christian and understand the meaning of Christmas I do not like the commercialization of it and do not put up Christmas lights on my home.
I've never understood how modern people see the German and Victorian tradition of cut down spruce or fir trees, decorated with electric lights, and festooned with other shiny objects as a symbol of Christmas. Whether you believe any of the Jesus myths or religion, or celebrate it, decorated conifers have nothing to do with the ancient eastern Mediterranean. The obscene American celebration of the "season" by extravagant spending and consuming has even less to do with it.

Trash has no place on our mountains. LNT ethics should trump (not, "Trump") the strange demand to decorate trees on peaks.

The religious right should take back the holiday by linking Black Friday to Satan and demonic spending rituals intended to indenture poor, confused American and modern people, enslaving them to toil and the demands of their corporate overlords. Money and consumerism is the true Antichrist!

I am, however, aware that the Black in Black Friday is a NY centric term linking that particular day, and American's curious spending habits, to the day when most business's ledger books went from red, or not making a profit, to black, or in the profit zone, for the calendar year.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 29 2017 9:25 am

Also, what do cute bunnies have to do with Easter?
Profound observer

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Nov 29 2017 9:37 am

@chumley
Bunnies are the unofficial mascot of the sugar lobby.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Nov 29 2017 12:10 pm

@chumley
Stay away from the Tooth Fairy please...
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

Return to “General”