Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

2018 Hazolutions

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Dec 16 2017 6:26 pm

Hey Fellow Hazers. Todd reminded me I need to get our 2018 thread out there. Please let us know how you did and what's up for 2018. Love reading all about it. Triplogs say there was some awesome trips this year. From the PCT, CT, Kilimanjaro, Tetons, and Glacier and of course all the cool Arizona stuff. The AZT crew have been awesome with trail clearing, new signage and the gnarly gates. Now a bridge over the East Verde, Bravo!
As for myself, I would gladly give all my hikes back if I could take Joe's fall back. Worst hiking day ever for me. A big thanks to a fellow hiker,Bruce, rescue team, pilots,Dr's Nurses, PT people and all who did such an amazing job. Joe's hard work at recovery and a mindset that is unbelievable. Still some challenges but his legs, and wit seem to be back at full force. So glad he is back doing what he loves, running HAZ and hiking!
I didn't finish my Boots and Burgers hikes or the 60 hikes book but am closer thanks to those that helped get me to trailheads. Wally helped me hit some Eastern Supes stuff too! Very cool areas. Kelly led the way to my first Yosemite trip and what a blast! LP couldn't make it. Wishing him a speedy recovery and hope he is out hiking with us soon. Got one more section of the Tonto done thanks to Wally Joe and Dave.Hikes with my son and Grandkids are always a treat as well. Lots of fun hikes with Hazers and still managed 900 hiking miles and a few thousand bike miles. No big mileage or aeg goals. Maybe finish the hikes in those two books and do another Yosemite trip. Not sure if I'll make it in the Canyon. The climb out is getting harder.
Well I hope you all had a great 2017 and have an awesome 2018.Safety First!! God Bless and Happy hiking. :y:
Last edited by Tortoise_Hiker on Dec 18 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 2018 Hazolutions

Post by Jim_H » Dec 16 2017 9:20 pm

My goal is to rinse, lather, and repeat.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

TheMazzicMan

Post by TheMazzicMan » Dec 17 2017 8:47 am

My year on-trail didn't pan out quite as I had envisioned. For the second time in a row, I signed on for the 52 Hike Challenge. For the second time in a row, I came up short. I wound up stuck at home in the valley over the summer much more than I had anticipated, cutting deep into my outdoor time and triggering an episode of cabin fever like I have never experienced. I know, I know, there's still 14 days left. Plenty of time. For me, if I'm obsessing about the number, I'm missing the point. What matters to me is that I hiked more this year than last. In 2018, I resolve to hike more than I did in 2017.

I had hoped to dust off the backpack and take some multi-day treks in the Supes and Mazzies. Never happened. As someone who lives alone and is quite content with keeping my own company, for some reason I can't get motivated to go backpacking by myself. I've done it before and, for the most part, have had positive experiences. Maybe it's because I already get all the solitude I need? I get an immense sense of accomplishment and satisfaction from the self-reliance that is inherent in this activity. I want to make it a higher priority. In 2018, I resolve to take at least one backpacking trip of at least two nights, solo or accompanied. If this sounds like your resolution, too, let's make it happen.

I'm an enthusiastic supporter of the Arizona Trail Association. This year, I began participating in their Trail Skills Institute courses on all the different aspects of maintenance, construction, design, etc. This experience has enriched me tremendously. My appreciation for trails has grown stronger. Next year, I'll take my final course. Upon completion, I will qualify to act as a section trail steward. In 2018, I resolve to be an even stronger advocate for the AZT; to assume responsibility as a trail steward for a section of trail in need, and to work even more at preserving this state treasure.

As someone whose appreciation for the outdoors has come relatively late in life (though it is never too late), I haven't the roots in the community of hikers that I would like to have. I value community. I know that building one takes work. This year, I hiked with three other HAZ community members. In 2018, I resolve, when invited, to join at least four HAZ community members on the trail. Again, if this sounds similar to your own resolution, come join me as I knock out my Wish List.

2018 will mark my 50th year on the planet. In 2018, I resolve to make it my best year ever.
Donovan Wood
Steward, Arizona Trail Passage 23c (Mazatzal Divide Tr, Barnhardt to Red Hills)

...he's got the Mazzic hands...

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 17 2017 10:39 am

t_d_singletree wrote:
Dec 17 2017 8:47 am
In 2018, I resolve, when invited, to join at least four HAZ community members on the trail.
You should join us for our New Year's Day Hike instead of doing the White Tanks... [ 7th Annual New Year's Day Hike ] You can knock that Resolution out of the Park on the very first Day of the Year..... :D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

TheMazzicMan

Post by TheMazzicMan » Dec 17 2017 12:05 pm

@outdoor_lover What a great idea! I think I'll do that :lol: I guess I was so excited to get started, I completely forgot about the scheduled event.
Donovan Wood
Steward, Arizona Trail Passage 23c (Mazatzal Divide Tr, Barnhardt to Red Hills)

...he's got the Mazzic hands...

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Dec 17 2017 7:13 pm

will have close to my best helpings of mileage and elevation gain in 2017 if all goes well
my stats are almost entirely a result of doing what I enjoy, although I do keep an eye on aeg to make sure i'm doing some harder hikes
have been able to do something every day so far this year, a mix of hiking, climbing, biking, running or walking
that takes luck and good health along with enjoying the activities - my own personal streak
several great hiking based trips: las vegas with linda, bucket list Yosemite visit with denny, and another Utah national park trip with my Nebraska friend sue
explored more of the goldfields and sampled the eastern supes
hit 16 new peaks, most of them from two of the hiking trips
only climbed outdoors three times, did not backpack this year, and only two nights of camping
that's not right!
five new hiking partners: nick, Dallin, whitney, father dave and Stephanie - might even hike with bruce before the year's over ;)

for 2018, my mileage and aeg goals stay at 1200 and 250K
will always be after new peaks and new hikes
would love to do cactus to clouds
would love another trip to Yosemite and further exploration of utah
more outdoor climbing, camping and backpacking - that's really all that's missing
best wishes to all of my partners and for continued recovery for joe
2018 will rock!

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 17 2017 8:28 pm

The one goal I didn't hit for my 50th trip around the sun was to run a 50K running race. Have one or two in mind for the fall, so that gives me most of the year to prepare.

Biggest thing for us is that we will probably relocate to Tucson to take care of a family member. Already have a house near Oro Valley that we've had for a rental, so we already know where we will live. When I moved away from Tucson 25 years ago I raced road bikes and didn't know any of the hiking trails. Looks like I have a nice learning curve and have the next few decades to hit as many trails as I can. Was down in Tucson today and already scouting out where the closest trailheads are to the house and picking out peaks that look fun to climb.

My list is short and sweet, simply get back into shape enough to run long distances and explore my new home after our move.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Dec 17 2017 8:39 pm

trekkin_gecko wrote:might even hike with bruce before the year's over ;)
I'll believe it when it happens. :lol: Are you sure you won't be at the post Christmas purse sales?
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Dec 18 2017 11:30 am

For 2018 get into even better condition, stay healthy, stay happy, try to get back to the LMT in Death Valley, Backpacking in some other side canyons of the Inyo's, a couple of old and off trail completions in the Galiuros', explore more in some lesser known corners for me, the Peloncillo's at the New Mexico border, and more into the northwest corner of the state. More mines, keep after some of the more interesting spots near the border. Anything else I can think of, with some historical significance thrown in.

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Dec 18 2017 7:50 pm

2018 Hazolutions: (Subject To Change)

1. Photograph a mountain lion

2. Photograph a green ratsnake

3. Find 500+ snakes

4. Hike Mt. Wrighton in January shirtless.

5. Travel somewhere internationally. I'm open to suggestions.

6. Get my resting heart rate below 60. Currently at 70.

7. Photograph a Hopi rattlesnake

8. Explore Bonita Creek and areas around Safford.

9. Hike Aravaipa Canyon (West side)

10. Hike Aravaipa Canyon (East side)

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 18 2017 8:00 pm

5. Travel somewhere internationally, shirtless. I'm open to suggestions.
Fixed that for you.

Antarctica?

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 18 2017 9:10 pm

@Jim_H
So much for North Korea!
Rowdy and Widowmaker

xthine
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Post by xthine » Dec 19 2017 4:29 pm

Seeing as I was only able to check off 2 out of so many 'hazolutions' last year I will keep it simple for next year.

- Hike more! - - - since i've started trail running I've been pretty much just doing that instead of hiking
- Complete my first class 3 hike.. Wetterhorn!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 22 2017 2:16 pm

Just thought of one for 2018. To hike in temperatures of 115 or higher, since I am pretty sure 114 is the most I ever hiked in. Probably Piestewa, which is fine.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 24 2017 5:34 pm

I'm going back to Scotland in '18. This time I'll post a log and some pics. I'll try to keep up on my other, too. I'm way behind on posting pics.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 25 2017 7:45 am

Me feet are officially functional again! Getting back into backpacking, Grand Canyon, etc. I have a GC permit for early March. Want to do some more desert peaks.

Especially want to learn to roll my sea kayak. This has nothing to do with hiking, except that enjoying hiking led me to other human- powered travel. I just ordered a neoprene skirt for the boat.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Dec 25 2017 12:27 pm

I need to get back to actually logging trip reports again. I got a new position at my company back in May, and I spend very little time in front of my desktop at work nowadays (a good thing, now I am growing plants instead of selling them). As a result, I have not been putting in triplogs since then, gotta get back in the habit on my tablet at home.

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 26 2017 11:57 am

Since I cannot hike anymore my only goal for 2017 was to lose 20 pounds. :-k
It is now December 26th and I have only 28 more to go. :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 31 2017 9:19 am

For 2018 I Hazolve to switch it up and include a selfie in every photoset I post. Looking back through my past adventures it is often difficult to know if I was even there. Problem solved!
Profound observer

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 31 2017 10:01 am

@chumley
chumley wrote:switch it up and include a selfie in every photoset
As we all sit on the edge of our seats....

;)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “General”