Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

2018 Hazolutions

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Dec 16 2017 6:26 pm

Hey Fellow Hazers. Todd reminded me I need to get our 2018 thread out there. Please let us know how you did and what's up for 2018. Love reading all about it. Triplogs say there was some awesome trips this year. From the PCT, CT, Kilimanjaro, Tetons, and Glacier and of course all the cool Arizona stuff. The AZT crew have been awesome with trail clearing, new signage and the gnarly gates. Now a bridge over the East Verde, Bravo!
As for myself, I would gladly give all my hikes back if I could take Joe's fall back. Worst hiking day ever for me. A big thanks to a fellow hiker,Bruce, rescue team, pilots,Dr's Nurses, PT people and all who did such an amazing job. Joe's hard work at recovery and a mindset that is unbelievable. Still some challenges but his legs, and wit seem to be back at full force. So glad he is back doing what he loves, running HAZ and hiking!
I didn't finish my Boots and Burgers hikes or the 60 hikes book but am closer thanks to those that helped get me to trailheads. Wally helped me hit some Eastern Supes stuff too! Very cool areas. Kelly led the way to my first Yosemite trip and what a blast! LP couldn't make it. Wishing him a speedy recovery and hope he is out hiking with us soon. Got one more section of the Tonto done thanks to Wally Joe and Dave.Hikes with my son and Grandkids are always a treat as well. Lots of fun hikes with Hazers and still managed 900 hiking miles and a few thousand bike miles. No big mileage or aeg goals. Maybe finish the hikes in those two books and do another Yosemite trip. Not sure if I'll make it in the Canyon. The climb out is getting harder.
Well I hope you all had a great 2017 and have an awesome 2018.Safety First!! God Bless and Happy hiking. :y:
Last edited by Tortoise_Hiker on Dec 18 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: 2018 Hazolutions

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 31 2017 10:04 am

Okay, okay, I resolve to read more triplogs! I just have a hard time getting around to it, there are so many of them, it's daunting.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Dec 31 2017 10:54 am

@azbackpackr
I've now blocked Todd because of this.
:sk:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 31 2017 1:48 pm

@The_Eagle

I couldn't stand to miss out on the fun!

and an excuse to be snarky
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Dec 31 2017 5:38 pm

I don't know about HAZosolutions, but man, the trails in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve were super busy today, and will probably be worse tomorrow!
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Jan 01 2018 9:14 am

2018 Hazolutions: (Official):

1. Photograph a mountain lion

2. Photograph a green ratsnake

3. Find 500+ snakes (found 467 snakes in 2017 8) )

4. Hike Mt. Wrighton in December, January, or February shirtless.

5. Travel somewhere internationally. Looking towards: South Africa, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Colombia, Indonesia, Belize, Philippines, or Kenya.

6. Get my resting heart rate below 60. Currently at 70.

7. Photograph a Hopi rattlesnake

8. Explore Bonita Creek and areas around Safford.

9. Lose 10-lbs

10. Hike Aravaipa Canyon (East side)

syoung
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by syoung » Jan 02 2018 12:55 pm

2017 was all about Kilimanjaro. With that big one checked off I don't really have any long term hiking goals. I was also able to hit 1k in miles for the first time so that is off the docket too. Only thing I have been able to come up with is to focus more on the quality of the hikes rather than the quantity.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 03 2018 5:59 am

Sticking to my vow to look at triplogs (instead of playing solitaire, haha). I actually did come up with a specific resolution, and that is to average 3 miles a day walking/hiking. Although just plain walking through the local desert, which is rather flattish, isn't top notch exercise it is a lot cheaper for me than burning up gas driving to a hike every day.

Plus, I need to find myself a real kayaking instructor with a warm swimming pool to teach me to roll my sea kayak. Know anyone? I know I can go to San Diego, but they use Mission Bay for their lessons, even in winter. (Brr!) I'm putting this out there in case anyone knows someone. Warm pool, actual instructor--someone who knows how to teach a roll. I'm particularly interested in Greenland style, saving my shoulders, etc.

Lumberjill

Post by Lumberjill » Jan 04 2018 6:22 am

2018 HAZolutions:

- Hike in every county in the state at least once. I am great about falling back into my usual places, but there is a lot to explore, so I'm hoping this goal will encourage me to plan a bit more so that I can check out other great AZ spots.

- Log more of my hikes here on HAZ. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use, but it's really focused on just the stats, rather than a triplog.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 04 2018 8:35 am

@Lumberjill
Are you interested in anything specific, like peaks in the Kofa Mountains/ Kofa NWR? I drive an Outback, but if you have a better vehicle, access can be easier for that rugged and isolated part of the state. Lots of good terrain out there for February to April/ May, depending on weather, and your tolerances and abilities. Yes, I am soliciting for a partner for some of that area, since most do not express interest in the western desert.

I'll update my Hazosolutions, too.
Aside from repeat much of the last year, I'd like to get to the Kofa more, maybe the Eagletails, if I have a lead climber, but that one is not likely.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 04 2018 9:04 am

Lumberjill wrote:
Jan 04 2018 6:22 am
Hike in every county in the state
When you live in phx, Greenlee is the tough one. It's a long way even to the boring desert stuff near Duncan, but the best options are up near Hannagan.
Profound observer

Lumberjill

Post by Lumberjill » Jan 04 2018 6:31 pm

@Jim_H - The Kofa Wilderness is absolutely on my list. I don't have a very rugged vehicle (Honda CR-V), so it'll have to be something that's accessible. I haven't researched it yet to figure out exactly where to go, but that timeline is really helpful. I'd be happy to explore that area with you some time! I'm currently nursing a sprained ankle, but I should be back at it within the next couple of weeks or so.

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Apr 06 2018 3:21 pm

I've surpassed last years aeg. I remember when blah blah blah my year total was an average month. Denny works weird hours so I don't hike with him. Starting to get in shape. ML is calling.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

chumley

Post by chumley » Apr 06 2018 3:27 pm

BobP wrote:ML is calling
:oops:
Profound observer

gummo

Post by gummo » Apr 06 2018 3:56 pm

I need to update my Hazolutions list:

2018 Hazolutions: (Update):

1. Photograph a mountain lion

2. Photograph a green ratsnake

3. 500+ snakes (This is still on my list, but it's so dry this year that it probably won't happen).

4. Hike Mt. Wrighton in December, January, or February shirtless. (done, it was too easy).

5. Travel somewhere internationally. Looking towards: South Africa, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Colombia, Indonesia, Belize, Philippines, or Kenya. (completed in March. I may have to try for Uganda, Central America, or back to Kenya)

6. Get my resting heart rate below 60. Currently at 70. (Done. My heart rate is around 48 bpm)

7. Photograph a Hopi rattlesnake

8. Explore Bonita Creek and areas around Safford.

9. Lose 10-lbs. (That's not going to happen unless I lose a leg).

10. Hike Aravaipa Canyon (East side)

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Apr 10 2018 10:27 am

I have arrived at some goals as the year has come on, but as is always the case, I'm not sure where I will get on them.

I want to revisit the Pinalenos and hike to Heliograph Peak using the Arcadia Trail, since that was so nice a few years back, and I want to see how it was affected by the fire last summer.

I want to do the Baldy loop in the Whites. Even if I don't like them as much as some people, I want to FINALLY hike there. 12 years I have lived in AZ or NM, and I have never once hiked Baldy.

I'd really like to minimize my hiking on Humphrey and the Peaks this year, unless hiking them socially. Not a positive goal, so much, as I just do not want to fall back on them out of boredom or convenience, as I have sometimes done.

I want to increase the quantity and quality of the activities I do shirtless.

I want to make some big changes in my life related to job, living situation, and so on. I have a very low likelihood of remaining in my present location by the year's end.
Last edited by Jim_H on Apr 10 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jul 03 2018 12:00 pm

Not really a HAZosultion, but something I have grown more tire of, irritated with, or annoyed with, depending on your perspective: excessive data creation ( aside from this thread, of course). It doesn't pertain exclusively to HAZ, either. I see a lot of junk on Facebook, and I am sure other social websites are the same. People creating endless junk data that our society stores.

Mostly, I create and hoard too much data on my computer, specifically pictures. Back in 2014 or 2015, a few HAZ members pointed out that my pictures looked all the same, and I was guilty of that. Same hikes over and over, and identical images posted, too. I've really tried to cut back on taking and posting the same pictures. I already stopped writing logs for most of my hikes, and stopped writing long logs for all but a few hikes. I don't think people read them, and it seems pointless. As times has gone on, I don't read my old logs. I've really tried to stop posting too many boring pictures, and I would like to stop taking and then posting pictures that seem excessive.

HAZ specific, I still log all trip as accurately as I can, but mostly so I can track my stats. I sometimes consider stopping logging hikes, mostly for things like Piestewa excercise hikes, but right now, heading towards 3 million feet of AEG, I still like the idea of tracking that.

Today, I spent a long time trying to clean up my hard drive by deleting 1000s of pictures I never looked at. All basically the same, and going back to 2011 when I bough my computer. I don't know what other people do with their images, but I'd like to update my "Hazosolution" to stop taking so many junk picture, stop posting lousy pictures, and then to delete or stop hoarding junk pictures on my computer or anywhere else. Seems like something our society does too much of, these days. I know Joes says HAZ has the data capacity, and that is great news, but I don't, and I don't want my junk shots just sitting there.

Besides, I often find I enjoy a hike a lot more when I don't have my camera out.

gummo

Post by gummo » Jul 03 2018 12:57 pm

@Jim_H
Not me, but a lot of people are saying that you need to post more snake photos and plan an overseas trip to Kenya.

DbleDutch

Post by DbleDutch » Jul 03 2018 1:28 pm

Jim_H wrote:heading towards 3 million feet of AEG
A lofty goal (pun intended)

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Jul 14 2018 11:18 am

2018 just surpassed my combined totals for 2016 and 2017 and still have some time left in 2018. My totals in 2016 and 2017 dropped off from prior years, so it wasnt all that hard. I'm a lot slower but feel like I'm getting in better shape but still 20 lbs over my faster weight. Want to do C2C this year. We'll see.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

chumley

Post by chumley » Jul 14 2018 5:32 pm

Profound observer

Return to “General”