Naturist/nudist hiking

Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides  • Verde Hot Springs, AZ  • Tanque Verde Falls, AZ
Linked Areas none

Should Hiking Nude be allowed on Public Lands?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 394

no avatar
Nhavasu
City, State: Lake Havasu, AZ

Naturist/nudist hiking

Post by Nhavasu » Jun 24 2003 12:12 pm

What are your views on naturists/nudists? Has anyone come upon a naked hiker/camper and what was the outcome ?

:)
Tom, Phyllis, Gidget and Max
Lake Havasu Reps

CindyC

Post by CindyC » Jun 24 2003 12:40 pm

Hhmm... interesting question. I really don't have any thoughts on that, at least not yet. The only time I ever came across nude campers was at the Verde down a ways from the East Verde Hot Springs. It was the first time I had been out there so I didn't expect it. My daughters, 13 and 17 at the time, were with me and we were riding our bikes. My 13 year old wasn't sure what to think. My 17 year old thought it was great. I always hear stories of people coming across others skinny dipping, esp at Wet Beaver. I never had until a few weeks back I was at East Clear Creek and came up upon a great pool for fishing. There was a gentleman there just getting dressed. He thought it was a great pool too! Nude swimming is one thing. But hiking? Now that could be dangerous!
'Achievement lies within the reach of those who reach beyond themselves'

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jun 24 2003 12:44 pm

I think I met you.

Naturally, it was rather informal.

added:
Here's a link for you nkdhiker
http://hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.php?t=496
Last edited by joebartels on Jun 24 2003 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

pfredricks
City, State: Glendale, AZ

nudists

Post by pfredricks » Jun 24 2003 1:20 pm

Do you wear shoes while hiking nude?
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

Randy
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

nude hiking

Post by Randy » Jun 24 2003 1:56 pm

Just one word: "Cholla" :sweat:

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Jun 24 2003 1:59 pm

I've never met someone hiking in the buff. But then, the cats claw and cholla would have a field day. I've been ripped through my clothing and my arms and legs bear the scars from close encounters. I'd hate to subject more sensitive skin to the rigors of the trail. I have no problem with other folks sacrificing their skin though.
I have bathed nude at remote springs and think respect and discretion are the keys. My one visit to the Verde hot springs soured me on that spot. I happened to be behind a couple of guys with their 13-15 yr old daughters as they went to the spring. There was a group of adults at the spring who were in the water sans clothing. The fathers and daughters were obviously not there for the natural experience yet a couple of the guys in the pool decided to climb out and lounge around the deck. I thought that was inconsiderate. I decided that pool was too easily accessable so I don't go there anymore. Besides, I prefer clear water and that water was a murky green.

arizonaheat
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by arizonaheat » Jun 24 2003 2:24 pm

I have nothing against it, although I would never do it . I agree with George, I could just imagine cat claw hooking you below the belt line, or cholla. Where I hike you couldn't get away with hiking nekked. You and your wife must avoid all bushwhacking :lol:
Last edited by arizonaheat on Jun 24 2003 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Jun 24 2003 2:36 pm

I've encoutered several nudes at the already mentioned places and other water holes. It's something about water and nature that make people want to take their clothes off???

Nude hiking just doesn't sound fun. Besides the already mentioned downfalls, most people look better with clothes on, what about sunburn (OUCH!) and where the heck do you keep your car keys?
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

sherileeaz

Nude Hiking

Post by sherileeaz » Jun 24 2003 3:59 pm

I'm in favor of hiking nude but at night with no full moon out!! :lol: :wink:

Seriously, I agree what another said about respect for others which is important.

Just wondering if there are designated areas that are known for nude hiking and swimming in Arizona? In Indiana they have a few beaches and areas that nudist go to and where others know not to go.

Sherileeaz 8)
The value of life lies not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them.

Billy
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Nude Hiking

Post by Billy » Jun 24 2003 4:46 pm

sherileeaz wrote:I'm in favor of hiking nude but at night with no full moon out!! :lol: :wink:
:lol: You are too cute :D

Swimming in the nude, yup :)

Hiking in the nude :roll: no way!

CindyC

Post by CindyC » Jun 24 2003 6:09 pm

I have observed while most of you are saying it shouldn't be done the poll says most of us think it should be legal. While the majority of us don't/wouldn't do it, we wouldn't mind coming across someone who is :oops: I think as someone put it, 'there is something about being out there that makes you want to shed your clothes', or something to that effect. I think that's in all of us. Thinking something and doing it are different things. Besides, I've had skin cancer 3 times and just don't trust sunscreen enough. :roll:
'Achievement lies within the reach of those who reach beyond themselves'

sherileeaz

Topless

Post by sherileeaz » Jun 24 2003 6:28 pm

I'm in favor of topless, for the guys :wink:
I'll bring the +90 suntan lotion and help the cause for skin cancer, no need to thank me :twisted:

Sherileeaz 8)
The value of life lies not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them.

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Jun 24 2003 8:19 pm

I had voted no for hiking in the nude. And geez the last time I seen someone nude in the stick: as a matter of fact the only time, was in the early 70's on the Verde near Beeline Highway. It was a gal topless romping in the river with a boy. I was floored. :oops:

I have worn shorts and got torn up. I slammed into beaver tails on side of canyon walls and had to cut my jeans to use my tweezers to pull the needles out. I was afraid of falling if I dropped my jeans and I did not relish the pain if I tried to pull the jean's leg up. I have had shirts ripped while hiking. Clothes is the extra protection.

:D However, in all fairness, depending on the mood, how the stars align, if I am all by myself, I have indulged in sunbathing on the rocks or partake in skinny dipping while hiking. Not often. The last time the urge hit me was when I hiked to Taylor's Cabin.

http://hikearizona.com/dex2/album_page.php?pic_id=21

I was hoping to spend three days there and this was if I could find water. Well, by golly near the cabin was a large crystal clear, deep, shimmering pool of water. To make a long story short, I was hot, the day was warm, and the pool of water kept calling me, "come on in, come on in". So I did, in the buff and man did it feel great!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jun 24 2003 8:25 pm

Somebody else click the link, I'm afraid :lol:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jun 24 2003 8:32 pm

If you know your backpacker history, Colin Fletcher hiked some of his Grand Canyon traverse all natural- of course the original minimalists were the ancient puebloans, but they at least had woven sandals!!! and I believe some skirt type clothing- watch out for that cholla--

JimmineyGrl

Post by JimmineyGrl » Jun 24 2003 9:33 pm

I doubt that the naturalist hikers are attacking the most rugged trails. I think it's more of a one with nature running through the flowers sort of thing. Interestingly, I just saw an advertisement for hiking boots that featured a nude couple (except for the boots) running through the meadow. It was sort of sweet.

I voted yes - it should be legal. I feel completely comfortable with other people wandering the woods in the buff. Though, not quite comfortable enough to join them. (maybe in the dark and in the water and with no moon!) I guess I'm more of a voyeur than an exhibitionist! :)

azhiker96

Post by azhiker96 » Jun 25 2003 8:20 am

I voted yes also but then there does need to be some kind of restriction. If I were taking pre-teen kids on a hike on the rim, I wouldn't want to run into Mr. Natural. (no offense meant to R. Crumb) Maybe buff free zones or clothing optional areas. That would give the rangers one more thing to enforce.

I don't have a problem with it but it just doesn't seem to have any advantages. I'd still have to wear boots and carry a pack so where's the naturalness then? Besides, with my fair skin I'd need a dip tank to apply SPF 90 or else I'd cook like a lobster!

Greg Jackson

Post by Greg Jackson » Jun 25 2003 4:09 pm

In response to joe bartels' reply:

My thoughts exactly :sweat:
Dog is my co-pilot.

Lizard

Post by Lizard » Jun 25 2003 4:43 pm

I've sunbathed and swum in the nude a fair number of time but have only hiked that way once for a brief period of time (couple of hours during a backpacking trip). I just wanted to see what was the appeal, as friends have recommended it to me before. Unfortunately, there are certain parts of the body that usually never see sunlight, and I should have realized how sensitive those parts are to sunburn. Long gruesome story short, I ended up taking several days off of work cause I didn't want to sit in an office chair for extended periods :o

I've got nothing against nude hikers though, and I think it should be allowed on public lands. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
"Of course we weren't lost. We were merely where we shouldn't have been, without knowing exactly where that was."

Giovanna
City, State: Oracle, AZ

nude hiking

Post by Giovanna » Jun 25 2003 9:34 pm

I am not offended and think it should be legal. As for children, they don't mind if their grown ups don't mind.

Return to “General”