Naturist/nudist hiking

Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides  • Verde Hot Springs, AZ  • Tanque Verde Falls, AZ
Linked Areas none

Should Hiking Nude be allowed on Public Lands?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 394

no avatar
Nhavasu
City, State: Lake Havasu, AZ

Naturist/nudist hiking

Post by Nhavasu » Jun 24 2003 12:12 pm

What are your views on naturists/nudists? Has anyone come upon a naked hiker/camper and what was the outcome ?

:)
Tom, Phyllis, Gidget and Max
Lake Havasu Reps

HikerInGilbert
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by HikerInGilbert » Nov 21 2003 3:03 pm

olesma wrote:PFredrics is a pot stirrer.

I like that. I think I'll join in:

America - the last bastion of correct thinking conservative moral values in the world - or so we imagine ourselves.

PFredrics brings up a good point - just about the only place in the world where you can hike and NOT see people nekid is here in the good ol' US of A (and most of the middle east - but that is an entirely different discussion).

As he suggested - it's just a point to ponder.

And I still say you havn't lived until you've had your memory seared with the image of "Naked Arizona" on public access cable. [shudder]
That's PFredricks... notice the k towards the end... and I'm going to tan your derrier with that stirring stick if you're not careful.

:D

Tom 8)

pfredricks
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by pfredricks » Nov 21 2003 4:51 pm

Tom-
So far this week you have advocated stoning me, now you seem to think that you will swat me with my own stick? HA!
Yes, it's true, i love the debate, the discussion, i love to hear what people are thinking, i like to get into people's heads.
I have read a couple of your posts and can't really seem to grasp any important contributions you have made to the actual debate, just some pretty clear sniping and bashing other HAZers.

You know what they say about sticks and stones........
and so far that LITERALLY is about all the ammunition your words have offered.

See you on the trail Tom.
-Pete
Thanks again Olesma-I think you get me.
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

HikerInGilbert
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by HikerInGilbert » Nov 21 2003 5:33 pm

BUT...sniping in good jest...

I actually don't give a darn what people want to do. As long as they don't get in my face pushing their beliefs, like it's going to change the world.

Actually, that stirring stick thing wasn't aimed at you Pete. Funny eh?

Capiche?

Tom 8)

hoppy47m
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by hoppy47m » Nov 21 2003 5:51 pm

Yep.....Snipe hunting is fun!!! :roll:
All Who Wander Are Not Lost, and I do walk to the beat of a different drummer.....'cause I lost my drum

olesma
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by olesma » Nov 21 2003 8:10 pm

HikerInGilbert wrote:That's PFredricks... notice the k towards the end...
Noted.
HikerInGilbert wrote:and I'm going to tan your derrier with that stirring stick if you're not careful.

:D
"Tan my derrier"? C'mon Tom - you know that's my wife's job...you'd have to get her ( : queen : ) permission first.

UPDATE: the wife just walked in and she gives you full permission to tan away. Something about needing to keep me in line and anyone is welcome to help.

Then there was also a cryptic comment about "yet" - darn it all.
pfredricks wrote:Thanks again Olesma-I think you get me.
Quite alright. Got your back man...
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Naturist/nudist hiking

Post by Jim_H » Jan 27 2008 11:19 am

You mean there is the possibility of encountering a bevy of nude frolicking coeds somewhere around a water hole in our fair state? Oh My!!
:o

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 27 2008 11:50 am

Tanque Verde Falls near Tucson, east side up Redington Pass Road, is famous for having a nude "beach." Unfortunately for us old hippies (and young dudes looking for coeds) I've heard it has been basically taken over by, ahem, just guys......

However, each to his (or her :? ) own!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PrestonSands
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands » Jan 27 2008 12:16 pm

No U. of A. nude women's hiking club, in other words...
"I'm going for a coffee, but you never know when a hike might break out." -Jim Gaffigan

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 27 2008 12:40 pm

Well, there is always Lake Havasu at Spring Break. But that is boating, not hiking. But it is outdoors and there are semi-naked women out there on the boats.

My son is in the Marine Corps, and until recently was stationed in Yuma. He has a boat for fishing on the Colorado River. He says that when he would fly in USMC helicopters along the river the girls in the boats would always flash them. One time they were in the helicopter and they dropped two guys off on sort of an island as a prank. It was about 115 degrees that day, and they told these two Marines they needed to lose some weight! But when they came back half an hour later to pick them up, there was a boat full of topless girls handing out beers to those two Marines. My son said he will take those two guys with him next time he gets lost!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 27 2008 2:13 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Tanque Verde Falls ... has been basically taken over by, ahem, just guys......
I was recently searching online for swimming holes, and was not particularly thrilled to find a site which was advertising this area as, um, lets say, somewhere the senator from Idaho might like to go hiking to meet people.

Whatever your opinion of nude hiking, its inappropriate when the participants take it to the next level. Regardless of which side of the field they play.
Profound observer

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jan 27 2008 7:27 pm

What the heck caused this to float back up to the surface!?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 27 2008 7:47 pm

Blame it on the new guy! ;-)

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 28 2008 12:12 pm

PageRob wrote:What the heck caused this to float back up to the surface!?
I think its the convenient "Most Popular Topics" list.

Which reminds me... I was freaked out last weekend when I encountered a boy scout hiking alone, off-trail, carrying a semi-automatic rifle and searching for bigfoot, nude. That sh*t's gotta stop! :D
Profound observer

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Jan 28 2008 12:45 pm

chumley wrote:
PageRob wrote:What the heck caused this to float back up to the surface!?
I think its the convenient "Most Popular Topics" list.

Which reminds me... I was freaked out last weekend when I encountered a boy scout hiking alone, off-trail, carrying a semi-automatic rifle and searching for bigfoot, nude. That sh*t's gotta stop! :D
Yeah, sorry. That was me.

jk
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

fairweather8588
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » Jan 28 2008 1:37 pm

:bdh:
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

ChefTIO
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by ChefTIO » Jan 28 2008 5:01 pm

chumley wrote: encountered a boy scout hiking alone, off-trail, carrying a semi-automatic rifle and searching for bigfoot, nude.
How could you tell he was a Boy Scout? :)
"The grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never dried all at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor is ever rising." ~ Mr. John Muir

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 28 2008 6:09 pm

Probably it was the neckerchief and the red and green hat! :D

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Feb 01 2008 2:04 pm

I've been kicking around joining this forum for a while now, and I never expected that a reply to this topic would be my first post ! :D Anyway, here goes: This unfortunate misfortune has befallen me three times in the past. The trails and dates are now scarred into my memory as twice I ran into other men that were nude and once a group of extremely out-of-place yuppie-types.

The first run-in was on the Esperero trail at about 1530 on a Friday afternoon in July and it had to be about 104 degrees under blazing sun (why anyone would be nude in that is beyond me). I stopped at the top of "Cardiac Gap" to tighten a shoelace and was startled to find a fully nude man covered in tattoos of ivy standing there before me. To be honest, I didn't know what to say. Sensing my discomfort he grabbed the paper-thin shirt he had stuffed into the handle of the ex-milk jug turned water bottle he was carrying and started putting it on. I said "Hi" and began to walk away because I didn't want to make him change his behavior on my account (He had just as much right as I to be there). Ironically, I mentioned while walking off that I didn't expect to run into anyone else out on that trail in the heat of the afternoon, he briskly replied: "Neither did I!"

The second run-in was even stranger, if you can believe it. I was coming down Old Baldy off of Wrightson, again on a Friday, around 1745, and I began to see a figure approaching. When he got closer I realized that he wasn't all decked out in tan fatigues, rather that he was yet another "encounter" in the making. He was a younger guy with a really long goatee...it wasn't long enough! Believe-it-or-not, he had his shoelaces tied together and his shoes over his neck and he was ascending the trail both nude and barefoot. As he approached I asked him if he was okay, and he replied in a mumbling, monotone voice: "I'm great, maaan." It was only then that I realized he was stoned out of his gourd and feeling no pain. I wondered if he even noticed that he was barefoot?

Finally, the worst "encounter" occurred this last fall right after the rains swelled all of the creeks in the canyons. I was coming down from the "Window" on Ventana at about 1800 on another Friday when I approached a stream crossing and began to hear giggling and sloshing noises. Much to my dismay I began to step over clothing strewn out about the side of the trail just before the crossing. When I got there one of the strangest interactions I've ever had with another human being in the backcountry unfolded. A portly man with a bad fake-and-bake tan and six or seven gold chains was "frolicking" in the creek pools, right in the middle of the trail crossing, with two less-than-attractive women of similar character. There was also a large, uncorked bottle of "Walgreens special" champagne in the sand near them. The other two encounters were forgivable, but this was blatant. I let my disgust show in my expression as I crossed the boulders and began down the trail away from the frightening drama I had stumbled upon. As I did so, the women took cover and the bozo actually stood up (apparently proud of his orange-hued pear-shaped physique) and gave them a play-by-play of my movements. He was saying "He's past the creek" and then: "He's back on the trail" and finally: "At last, he's gone! Woohoo!" and the frolicking recommenced. Annoyed, I walked a ways and then did a 180, returning (against me better judgment) to the crossing. When I got back they didn't notice me at first so I stood there and stared (trying not to gag) until he nearly jumped out of his skin upon seeing I'd returned. "What the hell are you doing?" he asked. I replied that I was "Making a point." He started in about what point and it being a free country, etc. I replied, "Yes, it's free." "This is also a public place, and I should be free from visual assault like the one I've just been made to endure." "What if I would have had a child with me?" I continued. He didn't get it and told his companions how they were now the victims of "puritanical values gone awry" or something similar, albeit much less eloquent.

My reply was simple and summarized my overall feeling on the matter of nudity in the backcountry in general: "Don't go out of your way to rub my nose in it." He could have simply gone fifty feet upstream to Maiden Pools and, not only had better scenery, but been out of the public view.

I look forward to getting to know everyone...see ya' out there (I'll be the guy with my clothes on!) ;-)

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Feb 01 2008 2:40 pm

Jeff MacE wrote:The second run-in was even stranger, if you can believe it. I was coming down Old Baldy off of Wrightson, again on a Friday, around 1745, and I began to see a figure approaching. When he got closer I realized that he wasn't all decked out in tan fatigues, rather that he was yet another "encounter" in the making. He was a younger guy with a really long goatee...it wasn't long enough! Believe-it-or-not, he had his shoelaces tied together and his shoes over his neck and he was ascending the trail both nude and barefoot. As he approached I asked him if he was okay, and he replied in a mumbling, monotone voice: "I'm great, maaan." It was only then that I realized he was stoned out of his gourd and feeling no pain. I wondered if he even noticed that he was barefoot?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! I love that one^ "I'm great maaaaan." Hahahaha!!! Great stories, thanks for sharing!
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 01 2008 2:47 pm

Fall of '06 I was driving down on a road on the Kaibab just south of Jacob's Lake, trying to find a bird for whom I had a signal one. As I turn a corner, what do I see but a topless woman running full speed back to her tent. I felt slightly embarrassed and kept driving. I had to come back the same route, however, to get back to the highway, so I passed their camp again. This time she was dressed and cooking breakfast, and a guy was talking to her. I slowed down and said howdy, to see if they'd seen my bird. Turns out they were on their honeymoon :oops: Hope I didn't interrupt anything important earlier...but I didn't see the guy.
My other experience with nudity in the wild here in Az. was on a field project at Fossil Creek before they restored the flow. Our survey team wanted to go for a swim, since it was warm out, and we all went in with our underwear on...except one fellow...oh goodness, that was a mistake, especially considering how we had to see him in class every day for the next month and a half! :o
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Return to “General”