Naturist/nudist hiking

Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides  • Verde Hot Springs, AZ  • Tanque Verde Falls, AZ
Linked Areas none

Should Hiking Nude be allowed on Public Lands?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 394

no avatar
Nhavasu
City, State: Lake Havasu, AZ

Naturist/nudist hiking

Post by Nhavasu » Jun 24 2003 12:12 pm

What are your views on naturists/nudists? Has anyone come upon a naked hiker/camper and what was the outcome ?

:)
Tom, Phyllis, Gidget and Max
Lake Havasu Reps

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Naturist/nudist hiking

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 02 2008 9:54 am

I used to go to Black's Beach in San Diego when there were 40,000 naked people there, including me. Including fat people, women who'd had mastectomies, old people and children. It wasn't a big deal. It was people at the beach, swimming, getting a tan, playing volleyball, etc.

WHAT IS THE BIG EFFING DEAL????

Yes, I'm shouting. You guys are making me mad. Who the heck cares? It's just people, human beings. The real problem is, you're not used to seeing it. The problem is YOU EQUATE NUDITY WITH SEXUAL ACTIVITY. Get over it.

Blah. You people piss me off.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Feb 02 2008 10:26 am

Not being an uptight prude, I have to agree with you, and nudity in general doesn't bother me. It would strike me as odd for hiking, but I won't have my eyes burned out by someone's genitals. Now, a nude welder who doesn't offer me a protective mask, that might burn my eyes out, and lots of other things on him.

After all, my first time hiking Kendrick Peak (see my trip report) I came across two people having sex on the top of the mountain on the Heli-pad. I thought it was an odd place to do that, but it didn't bother me, I just thought it was funny. That said, they had their clothes on. So, nudity does not equal sex, and sex does not equal nudity. When I lived in Florida one thing I always wanted to do at the beach was to not have to wear clothes, not for any other reason then they seem unnecessary and annoying. I do wish nudity was a little more accepted in our puritanical culture. Children learn their ideology, they're not born with it, blah, blah, blah.....you get my drift.
:o

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 02 2008 10:38 am

Thank you. And now that I've had time to count to ten, I had time to think it over, I think what bothers me most is that some of the previous posts seemed to partly be complaining about the physiques of the nude people they saw. As if, if they saw gorgeous nubile maidens, that would have been okay, but to see wrinkly fat people, well, they just couldn't have that.

Follow that idea to its natural conclusion and all of us with less attrative faces would be wearing burkhas! It's a type of prejudice, a type of bigotry.

I still maintain that the problem is that people are not used to seeing nudity, and they are programmed by the media and cultural values to react in a certain way when they do see nudity. Hollywood, Madison Avenue, etc., have got everyone brainwashed into thinking that you are not beautiful if you don't look like a movie star or model.

Notice, I am not advocating that we all get out there and get naked. What I am advocating has more to do with being accepting of the physical differences of human beings, whether clothed or unclothed, fat, skinny, wrinkled, old, black, white or Eskimo.

Also, the fact that you saw someone's private parts by accident and that bothers you later on when you saw him in class--well, that statement says more about you than it does about him!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 02 2008 11:33 am

azbackpackr wrote:Also, the fact that you saw someone's private parts by accident and that bothers you later on when you saw him in class--well, that statement says more about you than it does about him!
Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I think that the fact he didn't ask if anyone in our group would be bothered by it and just leaped in buck naked was disrespectful. Yes, I found him unattractive, but then again, I don't find men attractive. I don't think there's anything wrong with that; I'm heterosexual, therefor I find women attractive. Heterosexual women and homosexual men find men attractive (as far as I know). Regardless of physique, I have no interest in seeing men naked. Honestly I have little interest in seeing most of the people in this world naked, no matter how they look. That's my personal preference. I also don't like shows about surgery; I don't find surgery something attractive to look at. So I don't watch shows about surgery. That's okay, right? So why should I be happy seeing something I don't find attractive like someone naked? Someone wants to hike naked, that's their preference, and I'm fine with with...but what about respecting my preference? This wide world has enough room for all of us, clothed and naked. I've been naked in the outdoors before, but away from main trails. Not just because I don't want to be seen naked, but also because I don't want to have someone else see me. Those other people should have the ability to enjoy their trail without running into someone naked.

I agree that there is brainwashing going on, in terms of what society wants us to think is attractive and what isn't. All this you've got to be skinny, lose weight now, don't be fat, etc. that goes on is disturbing. I'd like to think, though, that I decide for myself what is attractive (or have some of that hard-wired in). I know I am certainly not society's ideal; short, hairy and an emerging middle. Do I want to get in better shape, so I can hike farther, work better, etc.? Yeah. Do I care if anyone else think I'm attractive? Not really.

Does any of that make sense? I'm not trying to be a jerk or a hardass. I just think that people need to respect other people, and there's a time and place for everything.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 02 2008 11:59 am

I understand what you're saying, but I still think that there is a big factor in there having to do with not liking something we are not used to seeing. Some people's values may be different, maybe it never has occurred to them about the respect part. In other words, they may feel, they really are not hurting you, and if you choose not to join in, well, that's your choice.

As for me, I have skinny-dipped in a few remote pools in AZ. But most often, I have taken a quick rinse-off after hiking all day on an overnight trip. Occasionally someone has happened on by. Oh, well. I needed to get clean on a backpacking trip, I got in the creek when no one was around at the time, but then someone happened on by.

I don't like surgery shows either. I think that is a little different, though. Surgery is cutting into people, there are blood and guts all over the place, they might die right there on the table. But nude people, well, that is just natural human bodies. I don't think it equates exactly.

I really think if you went to a big skinny-dipping pond and participated (like there used to be a lot of everywhere back in the 70's) you'd see what I mean. It's just people swimming, diving, suntanning, talking, having a picnic.

fairweather8588
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » Feb 02 2008 1:40 pm

Does it matter that everyone else's opinion upsets you? It's a public forum, where you have a right to voice what you feel. If you're getting pissed off, just keep it to yourself and out of your arguement

That being said, nudity doesn't bother me. If I see someone walking about sans clothing or jumping into a remote lake for a quick dip, I just go back on walking. And if someone's dumb enough to wander around the desert in nothing but their birthday suit, I think that there is more then likely something wrong with them, I for one don't want to be pulling needles out of my johnson
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

nonot

Post by nonot » Feb 02 2008 3:44 pm

Given the choice between seeing male nudity and not seeing male nudity while hiking, I choose not seeing male nudity.

Bathing is one thing if you're discreet about it and attempt to find a secluded place so you can clean up. Frolicking where some kids could come walking by is a little bit different.

Now if I could only get Randall to let me know where the next bikini photoshoot will be...
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Feb 02 2008 4:07 pm

I noticed that a majority of the new posts today were made in the morning. What the heck? Get outside and go hiking (nude or not) and quit bickering about something that almost never happens. I'm sure that 99 times out of 100, you won't see nude people while hiking. It's definitely not a topic to get your panties in a bunch about (pun intended). I do like the passion behind these posts though. This site has been lacking a heated debate for quite a while. Keep up the good work.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 02 2008 4:15 pm

Hoffmaster wrote:What the heck? Get outside and go hiking
I would if I wasn't hacking up a lung, believe me...
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

wallyfrack
City, State: AZ

Post by wallyfrack » Feb 02 2008 4:48 pm

I always thought the naked hikers were just extreme ultralighters. :lol:

cathymocha
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by cathymocha » Feb 02 2008 5:05 pm

:scared:
Last edited by cathymocha on Feb 03 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChefTIO
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by ChefTIO » Feb 02 2008 5:24 pm

wallyfarak wrote:I always thought the naked hikers were just extreme ultralighters. :lol:
That's funny!
"The grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never dried all at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor is ever rising." ~ Mr. John Muir

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 02 2008 5:30 pm

I went skiing all afternoon. Should have gone in the morning, though. If it hadn't been so windy the afternoon skiing was almost warm enough for T-shirts and shorts, or...... ;-)

I should tell about it in a post. I can tell about it here, too. The cross country skiing up here right now is better than I've ever seen it. (This is my 9th winter here, and my 8th xc skiing.) Pole Knoll, Williams Valley, Sunrise, Hannagan, etc. All good.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 02 2008 5:37 pm

Its been snowing bucket loads up here on the Kaibab too, not to mention Bryce and Cedar Breaks. We'll probably be snowshoeing next weekend. Yay!
-Old Spiritual

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Feb 02 2008 7:43 pm

I did Bill Williams today. It sucked! It wasn't even worth the effort aside from the exercise. I was supposed to go down and hike in Sycamore Canyon, but that was canceled due to weather. Probably a smart choice, but I did BW instead, which was not smart. I hope to have a good hike in Sycamore canyon next weekend. Maybe back up on Humphrey in a few weeks. I sure am tired of all this snow, and could really use a break from it. Even stuff in Phoenix is looking pretty good right about now.
:o

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Feb 04 2008 8:24 am

azbackpackr wrote:Thank you. And now that I've had time to count to ten, I had time to think it over, I think what bothers me most is that some of the previous posts seemed to partly be complaining about the physiques of the nude people they saw. As if, if they saw gorgeous nubile maidens, that would have been okay, but to see wrinkly fat people, well, they just couldn't have that.

Follow that idea to its natural conclusion and all of us with less attrative faces would be wearing burkhas! It's a type of prejudice, a type of bigotry.

I still maintain that the problem is that people are not used to seeing nudity, and they are programmed by the media and cultural values to react in a certain way when they do see nudity. Hollywood, Madison Avenue, etc., have got everyone brainwashed into thinking that you are not beautiful if you don't look like a movie star or model.

Notice, I am not advocating that we all get out there and get naked. What I am advocating has more to do with being accepting of the physical differences of human beings, whether clothed or unclothed, fat, skinny, wrinkled, old, black, white or Eskimo.

Also, the fact that you saw someone's private parts by accident and that bothers you later on when you saw him in class--well, that statement says more about you than it does about him!
Oh boy, I knew I was going to start something there. First things first, please don't ever mention Burkhas in relation to a post I make ever again. I was over in Both Iraq and Afghanistan working hard to free those folks who wanted to escape it of that oppressive lifestyle, something which nearly cost me my life countless times. I don't remember seeing you there wearing a burkha or otherwise. Me and many others like me have protected freedom, including yours, and you have stepped over a huge line in the sand to suggest that my thinking on nudity in a public park would conclude with you enslaved in some way. Grow up. Please, calm down and grow up! I haven't even been here three days and I'm already regretting my decision to post anything! :o

Please re-read my story, which was meant for amusement, not a political science lesson: The guy-in-question was "flaunting" what he had!!! He wasn't a quaint, happy-go-lucky off-beat type out having a good time not looking to bother anyone. He and his companions were right in the middle of the stream crossing, being loud and obnoxious, and drunk. He was in full midlife crisis mode, not someone out to have fun and living a free-wheelin' lifestyle! That's the point! Someone behaving that way opens himself up for ridicule by his very nature. One other thing to note about what I said: Look where these incidents took place - all on very heavily-used trails close to civilization. These things didn't happen far out in the backcountry near some hot spring or a stream, the one you took exception to happened on a trail where I routinely see women hiking alone and families with children.

I once did a long backpack through the Gila wilderness and didn't see anyone for four days until I happened upon a guy that had set up a camp for himself way out there away from civilization. He was a neat guy, he was out there writing a novel and living off the land for what he called "A year, or so." I didn't think twice when he walked away from the morning campfire nude and strolled into the stream. You notice that I also didn't mention that previously. I was out biking a trail near Hooker's Hot Springs and stumbled upon a huge group of nudists doing their thing a while back too, I didn't mention that previously, either. Don't you see the difference between these two examples and the three I mentioned?

Sorry to stir the pot, everyone!

Jeff
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Feb 04 2008 8:36 am

By the way if anyone is in Tucson looking for a great afternoon hike now is the time to go back to Ventana up to the window. I went back last Friday after posting that story since I hadn't been in a while and the stream is swollen and beautiful! The weather was perfect for it, too...

Jeff

cathymocha
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by cathymocha » Feb 04 2008 8:57 am

Thank you, Jeff, for your service in Afganistan and Iraq,..so much more than I can express.

I especially appreciate your comments on the situations you have encountered. Your humor helped to lighten an intense discussion.

The folks on this site are widely varied in age, experience, etc.. For instance, I am a grandmother who is embarrassed by the older man and women causing common hiking route experiences to be tainted by "mid-life crisis" excuses. I like to take my grandchildren on limited "hikes" not far from the city, believe me...I hope not to try and explain to the younger ones the rudeness of others in this instance.

One of my grandchildren is now in the Army's basic training in Alabama.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 04 2008 11:03 am

I think this all can be answered with one word: respect.

If people had respect for others, themselves, the Earth, etc., the world would be a better place as a whole.

I have no problem with nude hiking. It's not usually my preference, though I've been known to strip and take a dip in nearly any body of water at any time. But I do try to respect the feelings of others that may be nearby. If there are others nearby who might be offended, I will try to respect their opinions. This would be the same as smoking weed while hiking with people uncomfortable with that. It IS ILLEGAL to disrobe in public ... just like it's illegal to let my dog off leash while hiking. I do sometimes purposely break the law when I am comfortable that doing so will not interfere with somebody else's fear of nudity, dogs, whatever...

And in writing this I realize that by doing so, I show a lack of respect for authority/the law/the government. I am able to justify to myself why the rules don't apply to me in a specific instance. If my behavior is unlikely to affect anybody else, I am much more likely to do something that may be against the rules.

One of the great things about hiking for me is that I often find myself completely secluded. Away from the everyday craziness of life ... and other people. When you are alone, the effect of your actions/behavior on other people are limited. But because you can't see anybody else doesn't mean that you shouldn't still be cognizant of the rules and how you breaking them could affect somebody else.

In general, rules are created to protect people. As the population soars, more and more rules are needed to control the people who lack common sense and respect the world around them. When I choose to break established rules, I first try to consider the consequences of my actions. If I feel that due to my isolation in the wilderness, I can break a rule without causing the harm the rule was intended to protect from, I may just do it.

Does a stoned Matthew McConaughey dancing naked and playing bongo drums on his dining room table hurt anybody else? No, and it wouldn't bother me if he did the same thing in the middle of the wilderness with nobody around either. But if he tried that in the local shopping mall ... :o
Profound observer

scorpion scus

Post by scorpion scus » Feb 04 2008 12:13 pm

when im a couple of miles from the t.h. on difficult trails that i know there will be min.or no contact w/other humans, off come my clothes except boots socks hat and pack and most of the time a firearm nearby. as for getting things stuck in your johnson it does not happen.they are protected in brushy areas at all times by a stategically placed hand. also the people i have run into don't seem to care. and until i get my boy ripped off in a brush fight or something i intend to keep up this practice. best time and place for a viewing is the supes on really hot days. :sl:

Return to “General”