Naturist/nudist hiking

Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides  • Verde Hot Springs, AZ  • Tanque Verde Falls, AZ
Linked Areas none

Should Hiking Nude be allowed on Public Lands?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 394

no avatar
Nhavasu
City, State: Lake Havasu, AZ

Naturist/nudist hiking

Post by Nhavasu » Jun 24 2003 12:12 pm

What are your views on naturists/nudists? Has anyone come upon a naked hiker/camper and what was the outcome ?

:)
Tom, Phyllis, Gidget and Max
Lake Havasu Reps

no avatar
desertsax
City, State: Extreme North Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Naturist/nudist hiking

Post by desertsax » Dec 16 2008 9:21 pm

JamesLyding wrote:Is there any way we can merge the threads about nudity and guns into one? That would be cool on so many levels :D
True! I can't help, since I just carry my Swiss army knife in my hat while hiking. (Great for flicking away cholla stickers from your ankle)

But, if you really want to get the blood boiling, let's add taxes and public education to the discussion! My wife did four years on our school board, and I did a volunteer year building computer infrastructure, and the People-Against-Deep-Desert-Nuding are kitties compared to the People-Intent-On-Stifling-Education. Sigh.

We're out "nuding" every weekend. Holler if hiking and freedom might seem like a good combination. Guns are okay, although I wonder how painful carrying a concealed weapon would be.

-Desertsax

no avatar
desertsax
City, State: Extreme North Scottsdale, AZ

Post by desertsax » Dec 16 2008 9:48 pm

cathymocha wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:Perhaps the State should institute an UNconcealed permit for nudists....
Working for the State is beginning to take a fresh turn....
Who would judge which persons would be allowed nudity on the trails?
What would their criteria be? etc, etc....

Chortle... :D
As someone weekly practicing what we're discussing, I believe that it's pretty easy. If you're far enough into the desert that you never run into anyone, then anybody should be permitted. The State doesn't even mention nakedness in the approved/disapproved activities on trust land, and we really appreciate their restraint.

We've been hiking naked in trust land for over twenty years, and nobody has ever done more than request rules (at a distance is fine, in my face is not). We're absolutely supportive of those rule requests. We always try to avoid others. Last weekend was a special case, as an equestrian waved us near, and commented on how much weight I had lost since she last saw me. *blush*

Honestly... Deep in the desert, it's no big deal.

-Desertsax

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Dec 17 2008 8:05 am

desertsax wrote:
cathymocha wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:Perhaps the State should institute an UNconcealed permit for nudists....
Working for the State is beginning to take a fresh turn....
Who would judge which persons would be allowed nudity on the trails?
What would their criteria be? etc, etc....

Chortle... :D
As someone weekly practicing what we're discussing, I believe that it's pretty easy. If you're far enough into the desert that you never run into anyone, then anybody should be permitted. The State doesn't even mention nakedness in the approved/disapproved activities on trust land, and we really appreciate their restraint.

We've been hiking naked in trust land for over twenty years, and nobody has ever done more than request rules (at a distance is fine, in my face is not). We're absolutely supportive of those rule requests. We always try to avoid others. Last weekend was a special case, as an equestrian waved us near, and commented on how much weight I had lost since she last saw me. *blush*

Honestly... Deep in the desert, it's no big deal.

-Desertsax
I love it when someone revives this thread. I love it even more when the person makes a legitimate point. Thank you! :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 19 2008 7:07 pm

I've participated in this thread off and on, but frankly I have no interest in nude hiking or swimming very much any longer because my skin just can't take it. Sunscreen isn't much help on several areas, especially my neck and upper chest area which must have been badly burned at one time, which is so hard to keep covered, because even a T-shirt doesn't cover the area, and v-necks kill me. I get all red and itchy, and very blotchy. It is quite unpleasant. I have started wearing a bandanna around my neck when hiking and cycling, in addition to wide-brimmed hat and sunscreen. In normal street dress I absolutely never wear tank tops or anything low-cut.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

ChefTIO
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by ChefTIO » Dec 19 2008 8:52 pm

Something tells me that this thread will still be going when Joe releases his 2015 version of HAZ Calendar. :)
"The grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never dried all at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor is ever rising." ~ Mr. John Muir

no avatar
Swift Trailer
City, State: Safford

Post by Swift Trailer » Jan 01 2009 4:38 pm

I have hiked nude all over Arizona, including the Hassayampa Plain, Hummingbird Wilderness, Mt Graham, Coconino National Forest, Signal Mtn in Mohave County among others. In every month of the year. Guys, and Gals, you put your shorts on when the going gets scratchy.

You can do it alone, or in company. Better with a like minded companion.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jan 01 2009 5:14 pm

..and if you're not into the nudity thing, never visit the Stephenson's Warmlite website.
:D

iHikeNude
City, State: Chandler, Az

Post by iHikeNude » Jan 11 2009 12:48 pm

Tell me this folks. Why is it that other developed nations, as well as some not so. Have no problem with simple social nudity at public beaches, parks, lakes etc.
Are we as Americans more wise? Do we think we hold the moral high ground? I think not. Are countries like Spain or France populated and/or governed by exhibitionists and perverts? Or have these societies which pre-date our own by many, many years realized something we have not.
Look, our collective and irrational fear of the nude human body is a result of decades of control. Control of the church, state and even industry. The church will tell you that the body is a tool of sin and should be covered. The state merely follows the church (what separation!) and industry via the media serves up the idea that you are not complete or presentable or even likable unless we have the latest fashion to drape our frames in. Consume, people! Feed the machine!
We as a people need to wake up. We have been broken and divided in so many ways. We've even been made separate from our own earthly vehicles. So sad.
Besides, don't we as a people have more pressing things to deal with besides seeing a nude human on the trail? or anywhere for that matter.
Clean up your minds so we can be naked!

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 11 2009 12:55 pm

:sl:
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 11 2009 2:35 pm

Jeff, kind-of figured would find this thread and that you would be the 1st to reply back and no problem with that, but don't forget the last time... ;)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

desert spirit
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by desert spirit » Jan 11 2009 2:38 pm

Now Jeff, be nice ... *giggle*

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 11 2009 3:16 pm

I like the avatar :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jan 11 2009 8:15 pm

Sign me up! However, it's a little cold right now.
I couldn't practice gearsnobbery if I hiked in my birthday suit.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 11 2009 8:32 pm

JamesLyding wrote:Sign me up! However, it's a little cold right now.
I couldn't practice gearsnobbery if I hiked in my birthday suit.
You ought to at least carry some tweezers. I'm sure there must be some really nice ones out there.

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 12 2009 8:16 am

I guess that all depends on what type of "gear" you're referring to! :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Post by Crocodile Ryan » Feb 09 2009 1:19 pm

Better not get caught doing this in Switzerland , Looks like theyll make you fork over 200EU, not sure why youd have that on you in the backcountry though - and here I thought of the swiss as pretty lenient
An adventure is merely an inconvience rightly considered

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Feb 10 2009 7:32 pm

iHikeNude wrote:Tell me this folks. Why is it that other developed nations, as well as some not so. Have no problem with simple social nudity at public beaches, parks, lakes etc.
Are we as Americans more wise? Do we think we hold the moral high ground? I think not. Are countries like Spain or France populated and/or governed by exhibitionists and perverts? Or have these societies which pre-date our own by many, many years realized something we have not.
Look, our collective and irrational fear of the nude human body is a result of decades of control. Control of the church, state and even industry. The church will tell you that the body is a tool of sin and should be covered. The state merely follows the church (what separation!) and industry via the media serves up the idea that you are not complete or presentable or even likable unless we have the latest fashion to drape our frames in. Consume, people! Feed the machine!
We as a people need to wake up. We have been broken and divided in so many ways. We've even been made separate from our own earthly vehicles. So sad.
Besides, don't we as a people have more pressing things to deal with besides seeing a nude human on the trail? or anywhere for that matter.
Clean up your minds so we can be naked!
My mind ain't cleaning up.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Mar 21 2009 2:43 pm

I hope no one is offended, but sometimes when it's really hot and I'm really sweaty, I've thought about slipping out of my skin and hiking in just my bones. ;) I guess that comes from listening to too much Grateful Dead.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Mar 21 2009 3:10 pm

I have no problem with nude hikers but it's not a good choice for me. I've had several skin cancers removed from my arms over the years and just finished a topical chemo treatment to kill sun damaged areas. You'll typically find me with a broad brimmed hat, long sleeved shirt, and potent sunscreen heavily slathered on any exposed skin. I guess I could try nude hiking but I'd need to find a place that sold Bullfrog SPF 45 by the gallon! :sweat:
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

naturalhikeraz1
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by naturalhikeraz1 » Apr 03 2009 8:58 pm

Just for a quick FYI....
It's true that the federal government doesn't have a broad law against
public nudity, but in order to know if it's illegal to hike naked on a
particular piece of federal land you need to know the laws in the
local jurisdiction as well as the rules of whatever agency controls
that federal land.

The county (or city) where the federal land is may have laws against
simple public nudity. Some national parks have rules against simple
public nudity.

Generally BLM and the Forest Service, ie. National Forest/Wilderness don't have rules against nudity,
but there could be exceptions in some areas.

"The naked use of most federal lands is, in fact, constitutional because
there is no universal federal law prohibiting it. The Ninth Amendment
specifically says that no freedoms shall be denied which are not
specifically prohibited."
[;;)]

-- The Naturist Society's "205 Arguments in Support of Naturism"
;)

I believe that it should be kept legal but all participants need to respect others and if non nude hikers are seen approaching...covering those important places should be necessary.

Return to “General”