Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

2020 Hazolutions

Post by Tortoise_Hiker »

Hello fellow Hazers,
It's that time of year again. I'd love to hear how your 2019 went and what you have planned for 2020. I personally had a lot of highs and lows. Health issues, family deaths, family drama, etc. I won't bore you with all that. HAZ wise I had a pretty good year although I was a slacker the last couple months. I still didn't finish the 60hikes book and I didn't get nearly enough hikes in with other Hazers or the grandkids. Did a decent amount of bike riding but no big rides. Bunyan Loop with JJ,Joe, and Bruce was a tough one early in the year. Joining Ray for his first trip up Picacho was cool. Bob doing an extra hike (Hackberry loop) with Wally and I was nice. Hanging with the AZTers at their meeting and the nature walk with Ambika and Tibber was a hoot. Two desert snow hikes (Geronimo and Sabe) were cool and cold! I think I hiked more with Wally out of the Supes :o this year. Did the Baldy Loop from Greer with Joe and Linda which was a tough one for me but glad I did it. Got a lot of fun hikes in with Linda and the end of year hikes with Bruce and company are always a fun adventure. Had a blast in Maui. From hiking Haleakala to morning walks with Maverick (grandson) and everything in between. A last minute trip to Texas let me get some unexpected Austin hiking in (sweatfest) and check out San Antonio. Another last meeting trip to Colorado let me do my first hikes in RMNP! Fun! Kind of a weird year but very thankful for all I got to do and see. Thanks to all the Hazers that got me out on the trail and friends and family that helped me get in and enjoy some out of town trips. I hope to get in lots of bike rides and hikes in 2020! hopefully with lots of Hazers! No mileage or aeg goals. I'm just hoping to get healthier and stay that way! I hope you all had a good year(do tell) and 2020 is even better! Safety first! Happy New Year and remember, like HAZ, YOU ROCK

[ 2012 Hazolutions ]
[ 2013 Hazolutions ]
[ 2014 Hazalutions ]
[ 2015 Hazalutions ]
[ 2016 Hazolutions ]
[ 2017 Hazolutions ]
[ 2018 Hazolutions ]
[ 2019 Hazolutions ]
Last edited by joebartels on Jan 01 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.
Jim_H
City, State: Marana, AZ

Re: 2020 Hazolutions

Post by Jim_H »

[ 2019 Hazolutions ] for 2019.

For 2020:
Continue to explore more areas, even areas without summits or summits regarded as not worthy. No longer log obsessively as I began doing back in 2008; workout hikes, repetitive hikes, whatever. I hid a lot of them for the last year, but continued to log. Attempted twice to stop, and missed a few hikes I could have logged, but decided after a while that the new year made for a nice break. I'd like to eat more beef. Not specific to HAZ, just in general. Get out to the desert more, or at least more than the last year or two. Visit Kendrick Mountain again and inspect the forest above 11,000'. After that, no specific firm ideas. Places I do want to go, but I should not be upset if I can't get there and so wouldn't call them goals. Most importantly: have fun. Might sound like an odd thing to say, but sometimes I wonder.
Let's go Brandon!!!!! Let's go Brandon!!!!
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs »

Top of the list is to simply get healthy. Used to be if my fitness was great, my health fell right in line. But the big curveball of Valley Fever last holiday season still lingers, haven't felt 100% or close to it in over a year. Finally reaching the age where I'm attempting to stop comparing my efforts to what I did 5-10 years ago, but instead figure out how to stay healthy enough to keep hitting the trails for the next 25 years. Might ease up on the trail running, starting to look around at the older guys at any of the events and there is nobody my size that still competes or shows up. I appear to be 6 inches too tall and 40 pounds too heavy to be an injury free competitor in trail running events.

After that really start exploring more around Tucson, furthest east I've gone so far the past year was Sabino Canyon. Get back to more peak bagging and hitting some of the canyons nearby. Whip myself into shape for my annual October trip to the Grand Canyon, really want to get Cheops Summit added to my list of peaks this year.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
Walkingbambam
City, State: Phx Az

Post by Walkingbambam »

Moved to the Ahwatukee area little over a year ago. (Off Shaughnessey). Hiked the heck out of the South Mountain park and have loved every minute of it. Joined HAZ and enjoy exploring it and have met some great people. Lost 40lbs and a couple inches this past year, you might find it on the trails somewhere, but DON’T pick it up!!😁😁. Looking forward to more hiking and meeting more people. Would like to start signing up for group hikes and meeting more HAZERS but my schedule is so sporadic Watching our 3yr old grandson- another on the way, which will cut into some hiking time, but love it just the same.
Looking forward to 2020 and many more adventures!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Walkingbambam :)
AdventureFridays
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by AdventureFridays »

Hey everybody, I'm new here. I've looked at this site often over the years. I finally joined and am still figuring out how to use it.
I'm an Arizona native, but there's so much in this state I have yet to explore. I've always been a hiker and lover of the outdoors. In 2019, I did get out more and enjoy the scenery. I'm hoping 2020 will take me to some of the places I've always said I wanted to go to in AZ. Maybe I'll get to meet some of you.
Hike on!
-Leslie
LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by LosDosSloFolks »

It was me...I let the dogs out.
JasonCleghorn
City, State: Amherst, NH

Post by JasonCleghorn »

Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"
no avatar
Nobody01

Post by Nobody01 »

My goals for 2020 are pretty simple. Get back to Utah and into the Uinta Mountains again (it's been over 20 years), lose more weight and get even stronger, contribute to this site with trip logs as much as possible, explore the Kachina Wilderness a bit more, and do my first solo over-nighter in Arizona. We'll see what happens... :D
Embrace the suck.
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover »

I have a few goals. Get back down to my Target Weight, quit Smoking, get outside more (besides the yard work), shatter my Hiking Miles and AEG from last year and get back On Rope. Fairly small list and only 2 of those will be easy. :sweat:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
no avatar
SaguaroToSomo
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Post by SaguaroToSomo »

Well ... first thing would be to start posting triplogs again, and to meet some more HAZers (have seen GaryC and Tortoise Hiker at South Mountain). Intended to do this a few years ago, when I retired -- but then was out of hiking for most of a year with an ankle injury, and then mostly un-retired. So with a working life again, and three kids in high school, my go-to hiking place is South Mountain since it's closest to beautiful southwest Mesa, and hiking times are usually kind of like "Hey, I have a couple of hours free today!". Weekends are usually full, which makes my long-time goal of the Arizona Trail something that will take ... a long time! This year I want to finish a few sections, and do some random hikes I've been looking at: the northern loop in the Tortolitas, the long loop at Skyline Regional Park, and a couple of Superstition places like Bluff Springs Mountain and Robbers Roost. Beyond that, it's just great getting outdoors whenever, seeing sunrises and sunsets and hearing coyotes howl at Pima Canyon.
garyc57
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by garyc57 »

SaguaroToSomo wrote:have seen GaryC and Tortoise Hiker at South Mountain
The spot on the Javalina Canyon trail I saw you and Tortoise Hiker were almost the exact same place!
Jim_H
City, State: Marana, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

I'll wait for Denny for 2021 Hazolutions, if he is going to post a thread. Otherwise, for 2020, I would say I did pretty much everything I wanted. I didn't really get to the western desert as much as I wanted in Spring, but did what I could. Kendrick was fun, and I inspected the forest over 10,000' as planned. Doyle, too. Had fun, and even though at the end of the year I wanted to get over 200K feet, AEG was not a driving goal for the year. Did a few hikes on the Mogollon Rim which was not completely new but was not an area I normally went before. Saw a bear and her cubs, which was neat, and on a hike I never even planned to do, so that was a great treat. Hiking was one of the few bright spots for 2020.
Let's go Brandon!!!!! Let's go Brandon!!!!
trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko »

battled some hip and knee injuries
was extremely happy to have the knee resolve itself
did eleven azt passages with @johnlp, some as dayhikes, some as backpacks - all new territory
we also have moved toward ultralight backpacking, which i've greatly enjoyed
ended up with decent mileage but not as much elevation gain
felt fortunate that my life didn't change much due to covid, other than postponing some travel plans
good hikes with good haz peeps! thanks to all of my partners in 2020

Return to “General”