Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
jmangum
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Arkansas bashes Arizona

Post by jmangum »

Jim Harris, spokesperson for the Arkansas Govenor was quoted in the Arizona Republic today:
"My picture of Arizona is mostly dry desert," Harris said. "Here, everything is green and wet. You have to mow the lawn."

Every proud Arizonan needs to email this man their best pictures of the "other" Arizona. I found his e-mail address: jim.harris@gov.state.ar.us

Check it out in the article:
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... sas08.html
"You know, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't work."
-Calvin
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels »

Hello Governor,

In reference to...
"My picture of Arizona is mostly dry desert"

I understand it's difficult to think of the desert as beautiful.

maybe these photos will change your mind

http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=4119

http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=4109

I've been to Arkansas. It's beautiful, so is Arizona!
God bless the USA!

sincerely,
joe bartels
webmaster@hikearizona.com
...figured the state doesn't allow attachments : rambo :

yes... I probably should have spent a wee bit more time on photo selection
- joe
bryanmertz

Post by bryanmertz »

That's funny. I'm sure Arkasas with it's elevation rising a staggering 2,753 ft. is very wonderous.

I have a few photos to send his way.

Bryan
Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe »

I eyeballed the article and disregarded it just as quickly. after all, only 8393 left Arizona during a five year period, moving to Neveda and Arkansas. Besides, I am sure those that left Arizona moved here from another state anyhow. And the 8393 is not near enough to compensate the hordes moving here; from say, California. I put the paper down and took my lunchtime power nap.

As far as what the Governor said, I am sure his staff briefed him on the state of Arizona, so he could give an accurate statement. :lol:

:?: By the way, wasn't Clinton from Arkansas?
sherileeaz

Az is a threat, but why???

Post by sherileeaz »

Hmmm do I sense these other states feel Arizona is a threat to them?? Why all the focus on Arizona vs <other state>???
Interesting to find out what the threat to them is. Any guesses anyone?
Well, other than the obvious like gorgeous weather 9 mths out of the year and beautiful Mountains and canyons, etc. But there must be some other reason we are the focus of competition with other states. Must have to do with politics wouldn't ya agree??? :oplz:

Sherileeaz 8)
The value of life lies not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them.
turp182
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by turp182 »

Honestly, Arizona worries them, economically and from a population point of view.

Now, I haven't been more south than Kentucky (not counting New Orleans which I don't consider part of the "South") myself, but what I experienced in Kentucky was enough to not want to go much farther. I was on a house boat trip (the trip was amazing, but we were seperated from locals since we were on the water for 4 days with 16 people, most from St. Louis and Chicago).

In Kentucky most counties are dry, making it illegal to publically consume or purchase alcohol (can't even drink on your front porch if it isn't screened in). My wife got busted by locals for bringing a beer into the marina (we assumed it was just illegal to purchase, but possession is a very large fine). We asked the gas attendant at the marina why anyone would want to live around there. His response was "Baptist." Now, Kentucky makes like 90% of the bourbon in America (mmmmmm, bourbon) yet they can't drink it. On the other hand they produce a lot of tobacco and my clove cigarettes were a full $2.50 less than they are in Arizona.

Anyway, why do other states fear us:
1. Loss of intelligent population.
2. Loss of jobs, possibly with companies relocating here (not sure how much this happens).
3. They are jealous because of our environment.
4. State government is better run than most (comparing to California, where it's a shame that a reason not to move there is bad governing...).
5. States don't like themselves or their cities getting pushed down population lists.

The westward expansion isn't really over, even with the report I read yesterday discussing West-to-west and east-to-east population shifts (no longer east-to-west). Shoot, not sure how did the study but a recent "fastest growing cities" list didn't include Phoenix or Las Vegas, which are probably #2 and #1 respectively.

Anyway, they don't like the prospect of losing people.

At least that's what I think.
Rodney
City, State: Indian-a

Post by Rodney »

I think I read something a few days ago that said either Chandler or Gilbert was the fastest growing city in America?
joebartels

Post by joebartels »

Rodney wrote:I think I read something a few days ago that said either Chandler or Gilbert was the fastest growing city in America?
when you read it, it was Chandler
now it's Gilbert
tomorrow it'll be Peoria
- joe
JimmineyGrl

Post by JimmineyGrl »

turp182 wrote:5. States don't like themselves
Low state-esteem? It's more stylish to live in Arizona than Arkansas! :lol:
sherileeaz

Post by sherileeaz »

joe bartels wrote:
Rodney wrote:I think I read something a few days ago that said either Chandler or Gilbert was the fastest growing city in America?
now it's Gilbert
tomorrow it'll be Peoria
Next will be Avondale, they taut that as the next Mesa.
Not sure, but that's the rumor.

Sherileeaz 8)
The value of life lies not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them.
sherileeaz

Post by sherileeaz »

JimmineyGrl wrote:
turp182 wrote:5. States don't like themselves
Low state-esteem? It's more stylish to live in Arizona than Arkansas! :lol:
Good one! You coined a good phrase, "State-esteem"!
Arizona has alot to offer so there's no low state-esteem here!!

Sherileeaz 8)
BoyNhisDog
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by BoyNhisDog »

You would be surprised at how many people in the eastern states think Arizona is all sand. :lol:

Arkansas is a pretty wonderous outdoor state though. I like Arizona better as I have been here for 28 years but if you have never been to the Ouachita mountains or the Ozarks you are missing some very incredible country. I have canoed the Buffalo National River and other awesome rivers in Arkansas where white water runs through gorges lined with high bluffs and huge boulders stand in the froth. The sea of forests go as far as the eye can see. The thousands of streams and lakes are full of fish. It is a magic place.

I'd say the Governer there and his crew need to get out more. :lol: We have something from every other state here and a whole lot more that none of the other states do have. Trouble is, the work is getting out. :o
Glen
Rodney
City, State: Indian-a

Post by Rodney »

joe bartels wrote:
now it's Gilbert
tomorrow it'll be Peoria
As slow as I read...it probably changed while I was reading it! :lol:

Actually, when I lived in Kentucky, there was a country song out that said "There ain't no Arizona"! :o
no avatar
red-ass
City, State: globe, az

Post by red-ass »

been to arkansas,been to arizona... both are absolutely beautiful. in ark. i saw mounted 30+ lb brown trout in a marina on the white river.amazing. i've also caught very respectable smallies in the black river in az. if you've never been to ark you should go, hot spring is a great town to visit for a couple days rather than a couple hours.it has much to offer as does our own sedona and the oak creek area.the greatest part is i saw bald eagles in both states and it kinda ties them together (more now than then).no matter your likes and dislikes of our ark cousins it's got its merits,but it doesn't have cactus.
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

I grew up in Tennessee so pay no attention to any one from Arkansas, every place has its own appeal. You are a desert fan or you aren't. The only person I ever met who had never been anywhere outside his home town was in Arkansas- nuff said.
Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl »

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

(Let everyone outside of Arizona believe it is nothing but sand. Everything is already crowded enough.)

Yeah, and the heat is unbearable too, not to mention scorpions, rattlesnakes and black widow spiders killing all my friends. Don't get me started about turning on the shower in the morning and getting nothing but dust out of the shower head. I sure miss showers with water, these dustings just don't seem to do the trick. And the sand, it gets everywhere. If my car gets stuck in the sand one more time on the way to work I'm moving to Arkansas!
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”
hoppy47m

Post by hoppy47m »

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

(Let everyone outside of Arizona believe it is nothing but sand. Everything is already crowded enough.)

Yeah, and the heat is unbearable too, not to mention scorpions, rattlesnakes and black widow spiders killing all my friends. Don't get me started about turning on the shower in the morning and getting nothing but dust out of the shower head. I sure miss showers with water, these dustings just don't seem to do the trick. And the sand, it gets everywhere. If my car gets stuck in the sand one more time on the way to work
You forgot to mention the rolling cowpies that ricochet off your shins during the dust storms!! Or the tumbleweeds that grab your shirt and roll you into that blasted sand....with the cowpies
All Who Wander Are Not Lost, and I do walk to the beat of a different drummer.....'cause I lost my drum
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur »

In response to hoppy47m's reply: When my sister was a senior in High School my mom and dad (both born and lived their whole life in AZ) decided to move to Missouri (for 3 or so years and then moved back) So she went to her senior year there. She had everyone convinced that we had Tumbleweed warnings for the big ones like they have tornado warnings. Maybe they won't move here too... :)
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--
hoppy47m

Post by hoppy47m »

Ohhhh but we do we dooooooo have those warnings!! (shssssssh) and besides.....another hazard is when those dust devils pick up the tumbleweeds and drop them on us!! Arizona doesn't get rain....it rains tumbleweeds..... :o
All Who Wander Are Not Lost, and I do walk to the beat of a different drummer.....'cause I lost my drum
J&SHike

Post by J&SHike »

Good, Let them keep thinking that. :wink: As for me, when I moved from Texas to Arizona in 97' I thought the desert was awe inspiring to say the least. :) Some people are very narrow minded on what beauty is and looks likes. It's sad that a Governor would say something like that but like always, politicians speak and act before they know anything about anything. Doesn't sound like too bright a Governor, kinda reminds me of another Governor from Arkansas. He was a constant reminder for eight years. :( All bashing aside, I have to give Clinton some kudos for aquiring Arizona some more wilderness and National monuments (Agua Fria for instance).
Joe and Sara
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" F.N.

Return to “General”