Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

First Aid Course

Post by mttgilbert »

I am interested in taking a first aid course that is hiker/backpacker oriented. I know there are a lot of options out there. I was wondering whether any of you out there (daryl) could recommend an organization known for this sort of training.

Thanks in advance.
fairweather8588
City, State: Scottsdale

Re: First Aid Course

Post by fairweather8588 »

go to http://www.grandcanyon.org/fieldinstitute they had a backpacking medicine class but its sold out now. maybe there will be one in the future.
Last edited by fairweather8588 on Aug 11 2003 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac
jmangum
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by jmangum »

I'm also interested in taking a similar course. I've talked to several people that run wilderness programs, outdoor recreation etc. The two companies that keep coming up are Wilderness Medical Association and SOLO. Widerness Medical is out of Colorado and SOLO is from NH. So far neither company has any courses scheduled for Arizona. Maybe if we get enough people interested we can sponsor a class.

Here are their websites
http://www.wildmed.com
http://www.soloschools.com
"You know, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't work."
-Calvin
Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl »

There is a weekend course, I can get the info if you are interested, that certifies you to be a wilderness first responder. It's comparable to a parmedic but it's focused on the outdoors. You learn how to treat all sorts of injuries, heat illnesses, hypothermia... I haven't taken it, but I know people that have.

We get our basic cpr/first aid training from the fire department. I think most fire departments will put on a class if you get enough people, some have a regular schedule.

I'd suggest the basic first aid/cpr, then brush up on things like hypothermia, heat illnesses, bug/snake bites, and you have it covered.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”
ADGibson
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by ADGibson »

I would go in on this. I need to get my CPR Certification anyways. I let it lapse years ago.
JimmineyGrl
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JimmineyGrl »

I would like to join to if it's a Saturday thing. I'm years overdue for CPR.
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

May I suggest a basic first aid class (Red Cross) or a First Responder class.
jk
HikerInGilbert
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by HikerInGilbert »

Daryl wrote:There is a weekend course, I can get the info if you are interested, that certifies you to be a wilderness first responder. It's comparable to a parmedic but it's focused on the outdoors. You learn how to treat all sorts of injuries, heat illnesses, hypothermia... I haven't taken it, but I know people that have.

We get our basic cpr/first aid training from the fire department. I think most fire departments will put on a class if you get enough people, some have a regular schedule.

I'd suggest the basic first aid/cpr, then brush up on things like hypothermia, heat illnesses, bug/snake bites, and you have it covered.
Any more info Daryl? I definitely want to get something like this under my belt. Training like this is very valuable.

Tom 8)
mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert »

In response to Nighthiker's reply:

I would like to do a basic first aid, but what I had in mind here was something directed primarily at backwoods emergency care.

Daryl, I would appreciate that info on the course, thanks.
Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness »

Hey guys,

I work for a large orthopedic practice and one of our docs deals specifically with sports injuries. Want me to see if he would be willing to give us a class?
whereveriroam
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by whereveriroam »

I know this isn't exactly a wilderness 1st aid class but in the Fall Tempe Opportunities booklet they have a 9 hour American Red Cross CPR and 1st Aid Class. What's covered; " care for breathing and cardiac emergencies for adults, children and infants, how to care for sudden illnesses and injuries and control bleeding." After completion of class you receive a 1 year CPR and 3 year 1st Aid certification cards. Cost $40. Dates 9/20, 10/18 and 11/8.

Return to “General”