Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Fall semester begins!

Post by mttgilbert »

This is a shout out to everyone else who started class at ASU today. I just wanted to wish everyone good luck with their classes (and the lines at the bookstore, finacial aid, etc...).
olesma
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Fall semester begins!

Post by olesma »

matt gilbert wrote: lines at the bookstore, finacial aid, etc....
I've had my share of fun with all that. I've figured it out now - here is my solution:
- work for a company that pays your tuition (that wipes out financial aid Gavernment style 8) )
- Wait till the second week of school to buy your books (they aren't any cheaper or more expensive and there are no lines)
- or, if you're thinking in advance, buy your books online - usually much cheaper - but there is always the risk the Prof. will say "don't bother with the text, it sucks..." - I run into that a lot more in grad school)
- just get out of the undergrad program as quickly as possible and go on to graduate degrees. Much easier in the grad programs - not nearly the hassle of undergrad crap :D

Viola! Of course, the ultimate secret is to find ways around the system (there is ALWAYS a way around the system - usually it is who and not what you know). Once you can circumvent the system, everything is smooth sailing. Took me 4 years to get to the point where I no longer have to directly address the "system" - but once I got it all figured out, I was much happier. I have lots of friends in high places now. I highly recommend it.
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein
jmangum
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Re: Fall semester begins!

Post by jmangum »

olesma wrote: I have lots of friends in high places now.
Come on, don't kid yourself. You don't have any friends. :D
matt gilbert wrote: lines at the bookstore, finacial aid, etc....
I find out what books I will need on the ASU bookstore website. They will give you information on whether it is a required book or just recommended, the new price and the used price. Then I buy them on half.com and save a bunch of money. So far it's worked well for me and I've haven't stood in line yet!
"You know, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't work."
-Calvin
mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert »

I actually beat the lines by buying the books when I register, Unfortunately one teacher required a book that wasn't on the official list so I ended up having to brave the bookstore lines anyway.

So far so good, I just passed my spanish placement test. (I am actually sitting in class right now awaiting further instruction)

Buenos Dias!
olesma
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by olesma »

Well, good and bad from the first class. My professor had one book in the bookstore (new = $75) - but in class he showed us 4 others he wants us to buy that are available only through Amazon. I'll be checking textbooks.com and half.com for those. But 5 books is a bit steep.

That is the flipside of graduate programs. MUCH heavier reading requirements. I had a class last semester that averaged 150 pages of reading a week, all from academic journals.

And for those of you that have never read an academic journal, you can just assume that articles in those journals can effectively be used to cure insomnia.

"After a thorough analysis of the sample population we can derive several cursory observations that support our original hypothesys on the self-deterministic nature of...."
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein

Return to “General”