92%
No
8%

Total votes: 25

cass1234
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Hiking alone

Post by cass1234 » Jul 22 2006 4:23 pm

I hiked to the summit of Superstition Mountain today by myself. I have never hiked alone before except for Camelback Mountain, which doesn't really count. I think that being alone added quite a bit to the experience, but it was also kind of scary. I never really felt that I was in danger, but it just felt strange out there without a partner to watch my back. What are all of your thoughts on the matter?

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Hiking alone

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jul 22 2006 5:20 pm

In response to cass1234's reply:
We had a long discussion of this. If you are interested, you can find it at
http://hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.p ... ne&start=0
Hikers much wiser than me said just about everything there is to be said and Joe locked the thread.

You might also be interested in discussions on outdoor survival
http://hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.p ... cody#20744

Lots of good ideas in both of these threads. Especially the recommendation of Cody Lundin's book 98.6 Degrees the Art of keeping your ass alive.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jul 22 2006 7:39 pm

cass1234 wrote:I think that being alone added quite a bit to the experience, but it was also kind of scary. I never really felt that I was in danger, but it just felt strange out there without a partner to watch my back.
You're one of the lucky few that has been allured by the true spirt of adventure.

Just wait 'till you get lost, you'll be swearing you'll never hike alone again. Then the next weekend rolls around and you'll be pushing the limits again. Beware, there are no twelve step programs for hiking.

You should absorb all the knowledge you can, but you also have to take chances. The secret is knowing your limit.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jul 22 2006 8:58 pm

And being prepared.
jk

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Jul 23 2006 6:33 am

In the past I have hiked/backpacked alone for many years. Up until a year ago this July when I found an awesome partner willing to share the experience. Nevertheless, Cass, as joe pointed out you're one of the few, perhaps, really the many who share this experience. Really none like it in my opinion; you're on your own, basic backwoods skill inprove over time, and if your lucky, maybe a sixth sense.

But you really want to know the truth, by yourself or with a partner to cover your backside, mishaps/disasters can occur. It is how well you prep yourself with gear, your knowlege of the gear, knowlege of the outdoors, mental strength, physical shape, experiences.....ect.

Short story! Then I'll be gone. June 4th-9th my partner and I backpacked into the "Canyon". The focus was Clear Creek. Week in advance I talked to friend who hiked it, I got on line; reviewed the park site and HAZ, followed up by visiting the NOAA site for the weather. Hot! Well when it's all said and done, when the day comes and we discussed it after the park ranger told us the high out Phantom Ranch was a 109 degrees, my partner and I decided to hit the trail at three in the morning and put as many miles of trail under our boot treads. It paid off. I will say though toward the end of this portion of the hike we were exposed in the open to the sun, our breaks were dictated by what shade we found, but man, by the time we hit Clear Clear well before noon, we were still fresh and spent the rest of the day in heaven! Naturally, I had planned to spend the next day there as well, we were in no hurry to leave.

My point is prepping is important and when we hit Clear Creek Trail I thought it would be a bit harsh. It was a piece of cake.

Well, must go, don't mean to bore folks. Congrat's cass and remember, use your head and savvy.
"Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character." James Russell Lowell

DesertDirtDog

Post by DesertDirtDog » Jul 23 2006 8:52 am

I hike and backpack mostly alone.

I got tired of not doing the things I wanted to do because logistics seemed to prevent me from doing them with others.

So now I just go.

It can be more risky, but prudent preparation and conditioning reduce the risk. And solitude (for me) is not something to be evaded.

Besides- we've all gotta go, and I'd just as soon die doing what I love as waiting around for terminal degeneration. :lol:

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Jul 23 2006 4:35 pm

I think it depends on the trail. If you're on Siphon Draw or Piestewa Peak, there are usually tons of people around but if you're in West Clear Creek or Sierra Anchas....not so many if any. I've hiked many hikes alone on the more heavily used trails but tend to get a little spooked by myself on the lesser traveled trails so prefer a hiking partner for those.

:mrgreen:
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 23 2006 6:20 pm

Most of the time, I hike alone. Especially with my job now, there's lots of wandering in the woods my myself. Even if I'm not on the job, most of my explorations recently have been solo. I do enjoy hiking with close friends and family (people that can appreciate the wilderness), but as someone else said, the logistics of such get-togethers can be a limiting factor.
As long as you're prepared, there's no reason why hiking solo can't be a very rewarding experience.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Jul 23 2006 7:58 pm

Not to rain on anyone's parade but I've known some VERY well prepared and extremely competant and seasoned hikers who have run into trouble on the trail.

I ran out of water ONCE....never to be repeated
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 23 2006 8:02 pm

The two most dangerous situations I've ever been in were in group hikes. For myself it had nothing to do with being prepared either.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

fricknaley
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by fricknaley » Jul 23 2006 8:04 pm

I typically go it alone, especially for my longer and/or off-route trips. For sanity's sake I also do not post some of these. However, I have met some friends who enjoy the longer torture sessions with me, and that has been a nice change. Either way, just prepare to the best of your ability and have fun hiking.

My cardinal advice, to echo Trishness, is to make sure you NEVER run out of water. :stretch:

Hakatai

Post by Hakatai » Jul 23 2006 8:35 pm

I agree with the sentiment that solo hiking is a little scary. Everything is a little bigger, steeper, and wilder. This is especially noticeable off-trail. On well maintained trails in a familiar area it is no big deal, but when you give a sigh of relief for 100 yards of faint game trail as a reprieve from the dense brush it can seem like a big thing to be alone. The biggest problem is on the ride home there is nobody to relive the glory with.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jul 23 2006 10:45 pm

As a concession to my wife, when I hike alone I carry a Personal Locater Beacon registered with the US Coast Guard. So I guess I never hike alone since I have the whole USCG with me when I hike. :lol:
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Nature Nut

Hiking alone

Post by Nature Nut » Jul 30 2006 5:32 pm

In response to Trishness' reply:

I agree with Trish......on the more congested trails, I don't mind hiking alone. I definitely will not hike alone on a trail that I'm not familiar with.

I did, however, hike Mt. Humphreys last week by myself (my friend had to work at the last minute). I enjoyed it very much, but it would have been nice to share the experience.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jul 30 2006 5:44 pm

I don't take hiking alone lightly, you really are "out there" all alone. I've done it and have no problem with it, well maybe a bit spooked a few times but not so anyone would notice. In the summer heat you have one more monster that can get you, I don't hike in the heat alone or with someone.

Superstition Mountain in the summer heat, alone? Not me, but I won't rain on your parade Cass. However, we don't want to hear about you on the evening news.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

cass1234
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by cass1234 » Jul 30 2006 7:49 pm

Thanks for all of your insights and advice.

I like what Joe said about geting lost, because I actually did get a little side tracked on my trip up Superstition. When I was heading back down from the flatiron I went down the wrong gully for a short time. It had a similar climb at the top, but I still don't know how I could confuse it with the one I came up. Anyway, I was swearing up and down that was never going to hike alone again. And as Joe predicted I was out there again this weekend, but on two very easy and well traveled trails.

I think that it is also a good point that there are a lot of trails with enough traffic that you are never really alone. That was how I justified doing Superstition solo, but I was wrong and there was nobody out there.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 31 2006 5:20 am

I live in an area where if you aren't willing to hike (or mtn. bike) alone, you probably aren't going to go hiking too often. But I have always hiked and biked alone. I belong to about 4 hiking clubs, but I mostly hike alone, because I just get up in the morning and go. I enjoy the club hikes, and hiking with the one fairly reliable hiking pal I have here in Eagar, but the fact is, I want to hit the trail almost every day, and it's just not practical for my friend to go with me every day. There is no hiking club in this town, I have to go all the way to Pinetop if I want to do a club hike. Also, every summer I lead a backpacking trip or two for a Tucson club up here in the mtns. They like to come up here to get out of the heat.

I haven't backpacked alone in many, many years--about 28 years, probably. I plan on doing it again sometime, but haven't gotten around to it. (I think I would have to argue with my family about it!) Plus, I have to say, that the evenings in camp on a solo backpack got pretty lonesome and long, and even a little scary for me. One time a mtn. lion started screaming nearby, also! I want to try it again sometime soon, though.

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Jul 31 2006 5:38 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with solo hiking; I do about 85% of my hikes solo. I love the freedom of hiking at my own pace, stop when I want, or put the mileage down. If I am backpacking set up camp early or late and where I want it.
It can get lonely and sometimes I see something wonderful I would like to share with someone.
On the other hand, I love the more remote and longer backpacks solo. It does a wonderful number on my head about the third day out, the more "alone" I am the better. Spent 5 days in the Dirty Devil River region in utah this past may and never saw another person. It was nirvana.
Of course the problem is makes me want to get out a lot more, and for a lot longer. The longest I've gone is 7 days with no other contact. And not all the trips have gone smoothly but you just work it out and go with it.

I like it.

IRIE_LION
City, State: Tolleson, AZ

Post by IRIE_LION » Aug 02 2006 9:13 pm

BACK BEFORE I MOVED OVER HERE FROM CALI, I WOULD HIKE AN EVEN NUMBER WITH OR WITHOUT SOMEONE. SINCE I RECENTLY MOVED HERE TO AZ I HAVE NO PARTNER, I TOO BEEN HIKING RECENTLY IN THE SUPERSTITIONS SOLO...BUT THERE IS PROS AND CONS WITH BOTH, SOLO HIKING, AND COMPANY HIKING.
SOLO HIKING TO I OUT IN THE WILDERNESS IS LIKE GOING TO CHURCH. THE MORE I GET OUT ON MY OWN THE MORE I REALIZE I AM NOT ALONE...THE MORE CONSCIOUS I GROW WITH MY CREATOR WITHIN. IN OTHERWORDS, THE MORE CONSCIOUS OF GOD MAN BECOMES WHEN REACHING THOSE HIGH REGIONS WHERE NO MAN GOETH... EVEN THE MORE ANCIENT THE MAN BECOMES WHEN HE LEAVES THE CIVILIZED WORLD. WHEN OUT IN THE WILDERNESS, WHERE NO OTHER SOUL CAN BE SEEN NOR HEARD, THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE, THE I N I. WELL WITHOUT MAKING THIS TOO LONG, EITHER WAY AS LONG AS YOU ESCAPE THE CIVILIZED WORLD IN MIND BODY AND SPIRIT, ALL SHALL BE CLEANSED FROM ALL THE FILTH AND CORRUPTION LAYED BEFORE US IN THE SHITY.(CITY)

THAT BEING SAID....ONLY A FEW WILL EVER FORSAKE THE MODERN FOR THE ANCIENT...

MORE LOVE AND RIGHTEOUSNESS.....

Hakatai

Post by Hakatai » Aug 02 2006 9:44 pm

In response to RedRoxx44's reply:

RedRoxx, we saw you at Powers Garden last spring (05). In the brief conversation we had, you laid out a fantastic route that you had done. I think the the biggest problem for you is finding partners that could keep up and enjoy it. You do some awesome hikes.

Return to “General”