Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
lopez
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Desert Lessons

Post by lopez » Sep 08 2006 6:02 pm

Hi. I am an outdoors newbie -I've lived in urban cities all my life and never learned to outdoor live. Now I find myself in (upper) Scottdale - desert life. I love to run but the thought of being confronted with any desert wild critter or in contact with any prickly organism, keeps me from learning about what appears so beautiful -yet dangerous due to ignorance. Does anyone know of a club or institution that provides a basic desert-living course? Nothing extensive or elaborate, just basic things-to-know while trail running or trail hicking in a desert-like environment. Any insight or leads are greatly appreciated! Thank you and happy hiking!!

AZHikr4444
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by AZHikr4444 » Sep 08 2006 7:13 pm

You've come exactly to the right place, Lopez! Welcome to the best source on AZ hiking info on the net!

In the tabs above, click the drop down on the MAIN tab, and browse the articles. There is a wealth of info there, from choosing boots to dealing with bears.

There are multitudes of books out there-one extremely instructional and equally entertaining one is Cody Lundin's 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive.

ASU and occasionally some community colleges offer desert and wilderness classes.

Your best teacher is the landscape itself. Get out there an hike, don't freak out about the stickers and pickers, just be adventurous, use common sense and make sure you are hydrated- carry plenty of water for every run or hike in every kind of weather.

Finally, tell us about your adventures! There are extremely knowledgable people here who can guide you with their own experiences.

Have fun!

Mike
A true outdoorsman, when treed by a bear, sits back and enjoys the view.

Lost? Hell, I ain't never been lost. But I have been a mite confused for a week or two.
-The Mountain Men

lopez
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by lopez » Sep 08 2006 7:22 pm

In response to AZHikr4444's reply:
Thanks Mike! Thanks for the tips! Being conscience of being hydrated is definitely a new thing for me so every reminder helps ;-). I will look out for community college class offers and start doing some initial homework by reading some of the articles under the Main tab you mentioned; I'm tired of resorting to the treadmill for my run. Thank you!

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Sep 08 2006 7:37 pm

In response to lopez's reply:
You mention that you are in North Scottsdale - a lot of runners like Pinnacle Peak. This could be a good introduction for you. It's a "civilized" trail. Talk with the Rangers and the volunteers.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Sep 08 2006 9:32 pm

Also suggest Desert Hiking by Dave Ganci.
jk

kylemorgan
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Raleigh, NC

Post by kylemorgan » Sep 09 2006 8:31 am

mmmm....dessert lessons.....
"Efficiency is for robots....be effective." Mike Rowe

Return to “General”