Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
rally_toad
Quickapelli
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Hiking vehicles

Post by rally_toad » Mar 06 2008 7:26 pm

What kind of vehicles do you guys all drive when your going hiking? Im thinking about investing in a 4wd high clearance Jeep or something of the sort so I could get to some places where I definitely couldnt get to with what Im driving now (73 mustang):) I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee today for $2600 and I was thinking about checking it out. What "hiking vehicle" is easiest to drive and which gets the best gas mileage (even though I know most wouldnt be too fuel efficient.)
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by Jim_H » Apr 12 2017 6:59 pm

I was hoping it would be a smaller, cheaper, and more fuel efficient version of the FJ Cruiser. Guess not.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Apr 12 2017 9:29 pm

That looks like a Kia Soul with beefier tires.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Apr 14 2017 8:39 pm

SpiderLegs wrote:That looks like a Kia Soul with beefier tires.
Only uglier. :M2C:
CannondaleKid

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jul 09 2017 10:44 am

... continued from HAZ Window Decal thread
nonot wrote:Assuming you have a 4th gen 4runner, the vehicle never brakes. The vehicle will, upon invoking ATRAC or mire-control, cut power to the engine so you cannot accelerate above 2000 rpm. The only way to engage the brakes is to engage the downhill assist control. You may want to read your manual.

ATRAC is traction control, there is no stability control. The vehicle will only engage ATRAC if it senses the wheels skidding and not engaging. This can happen when skidding on gravel, a tire off the ground, etc.

To disable ATRAC you have to rewire the 4runner custom from the fusebox, engaging 4WD doesn't disengage it. Perhaps engaging the center diff does? I don't quite remember, although if the light on your dash is on it will show it disengaged.
In this case, everything you mention in relation to ATRAC above is true, but NOT for my particular 4Runner.

Ok, let's start from scratch...
- It's a 2007 (4th gen) V-6 automatic.
- It does NOT have Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) "A system that incorporated an Auto-LSD function, with Toyota stating this eliminated the need for a mechanical limited-slip rear differential."
- I KNOW it didn't have ATRAC as the first time I had one wheel in the air, I had NO traction. So, because it did NOT have any kind of traction control, I have installed an air-locker.
- It DOES have Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
- For 2008, Toyota added a VSC cut-off switch. (so as a 2007 mine does NOT have a cut-off switch)
- However, I AM able to disable the VSC, by turning on the 'lock front & rear axles together' switch, which works ONLY when in 4-H or 4-L.

I CAN attest that VSC DOES act on the brakes when IT determines the need, not when I do.
Case in point:
2 days ago, as I was driving on Bush Highway where the road winds downhill by the "10 MPH" sign (when southbound). As I put just enough pressure on the brake to keep from speeding up due to a vehicle pulling trailer just ahead of me, it literally slammed on the brakes... to the point the car behind almost hit me. In fact, he threw up his hands, which I can only assume was because he wasn't happy with my 'brake-test'.
Sure, the car was angled well downhill and the road curved, but it did NOT require that much brake.

And as a matter of fact, this exact thing happened a week earlier in the exact same spot, although not quite to the same degree of braking, and no other vehicles were in ahead or behind.
Now the THIRD time as I drove through there again yesterday in the same spot, I drove slow enough (basically 10 mph) so I didn't even touch the brake pedal and all was well, albeit the driver behind wasn't too happy going that slow. :doh:

I've had one other, much more serious action by the VSC which may have resulted in a head-on collision if I had not been totally alert... dangerous enough it got me to digging into possibly disabling it.
(This isn't the first Toyota-manufactured vehicle I've had stability issues with, so I've become very wary.)
RedRoxx44 wrote:Pain--- engaging 4 low as the Rubicon t-case has no synchro. I tried what the manual said but the only way I could get it to do so was to put the auto trans in park.
Same here when attempting to get into 4-Low... must be in Park, and even then there are times I have to put it in neutral, let it roll a bit, put it back into Park and try again. There are a few times I've had to repeat it 2-3 times before it finally engages, and without a gear-grinding growl.
I liked the solid handle feel in the Cherokee, when you KNEW it is in 4-Low.
RedRoxx44 wrote:The tire pressure indicator. I got an AV Pro Cal and reprogrammed that. If you air down or your tires are cold it would trigger the alarm.
I didn't like tha hassle so I just stopped airing down.
RedRoxx44 wrote:Overall too much electronics for my taste.
I'm in full agreement... disconnect the battery for any reason then one must 'normalize' the
- power windows
- sunroof
- tailgate
- possibly more? I knew those were because I had issues with all three.
I was unable to open the tailgate at all until it was normalized... I'll take the old manual latch instead of the 'automatic finger pincher' any day.
RedRoxx44 wrote:Good- the auto sway bar release.
I wish I had this... it might keep all four wheels on the ground in semi-eroded terrain.
CannondaleKid

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Sep 26 2017 10:04 am

RedRoxx44 wrote:Thought I had previously posted this somewhere but maybe not---if you have piles of money-

Chevy Colorado ZR2- 2 inch factory lift, lockers front and rear, skid plates, racing suspension, and a diesel or gas option, or course manual or automatic trans. I usually avoid first model years like the plague. It will compete with Toyota Taco TRD high end which will be similarly priced.

If I sell my other vehicle I will be looking for a Rubicon. I'll drive the FJ till the tires fall off but I want a short wheelbase and lockers front and rear ( like my old red Jeep again, but I don't want to have the build up done myself,hunting for good mechanics etc).
I can see you participating, Letty .....https://tinyurl.com/yaqqzqmf
kurt

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Sep 26 2017 6:26 pm

No GPS!! Heck yah! Maybe I'll go for that when I finally fully retire. Once I finish lifting and modding the Rubicon that sounds like it could be fun!

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Nov 15 2017 12:38 pm

RedRoxx44 wrote:.......

Chevy Colorado ZR2- 2 inch factory lift, lockers front and rear, skid plates, racing suspension, and a diesel or gas option, or course manual or automatic trans. I usually avoid first model years like the plague. It will compete with Toyota Taco TRD high end which will be similarly priced. ....
https://youtu.be/wzIKjihISIU
kurt

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Nov 15 2017 4:06 pm

I feel like if you just bought a fancy new hiking vehicle and wanted to tell the world about it, this would be a fantastic place to do so... :DANCE:
Ja vi elsker dette landet

friendofThundergod
ˈpōət kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Nov 17 2017 9:53 am

@chumley
I’ll bite...Can’t wait to start helping this cold earth get a little warmer with my weekend trips to Flag! Now only if I could afford a new HAZ sticker. :?
Attachments
A77D4871-8998-4B37-8E1B-A68A9FAEB5C7.jpeg
946F97BA-9E09-4A3E-97C6-A92C5E0181F5.jpeg

mazatzal
Mazopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by mazatzal » Nov 17 2017 10:06 am

@friendofThundergod
Good choice, someone else might have one of those :y:

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Nov 17 2017 10:12 am

friendofThundergod wrote:Now only if I could afford a new HAZ sticker.
I need to get a license plate frame with my name on it! :y:
Do you want red, white, black or silver for the HAZ sticker?

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Nov 17 2017 12:06 pm

I thought you were supposed to buy the Haz sticker first and do the reveal on who’s decal looks best. :pk:
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Nov 17 2017 12:12 pm

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Nov 17 2017 12:39 pm

@chumley
I put mine in the right place. :y: It’s older than FOTG and it is the opposite of fancy. :sl:... but the sticker looks best!
If FOTG takes his dogs and ride to the mountains in the winter he might not be able to find them.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Nov 17 2017 12:45 pm

@MtnBart01
He does tend to be a bit monochromatic.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

friendofThundergod
ˈpōət kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Nov 17 2017 12:56 pm

@MtnBart01
@Alston_Neal
It was very important to me that my new car matched my dogs, one of the selling points... :lol:

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Nov 17 2017 1:08 pm

Alston_Neal wrote:He does tend to be a bit monochromatic.
He used to wear a green shirt before it disintegrated.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Nov 17 2017 3:28 pm

@friendofThundergod
We need to talk about your flair. You do want to express yourself, right?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

RowdyandMe
Impalpable Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Nov 17 2017 3:59 pm

@friendofThundergod
Leather seats?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli