Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
rally_toad
Quickapelli
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Hiking vehicles

Post by rally_toad » Mar 06 2008 7:26 pm

What kind of vehicles do you guys all drive when your going hiking? Im thinking about investing in a 4wd high clearance Jeep or something of the sort so I could get to some places where I definitely couldnt get to with what Im driving now (73 mustang):) I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee today for $2600 and I was thinking about checking it out. What "hiking vehicle" is easiest to drive and which gets the best gas mileage (even though I know most wouldnt be too fuel efficient.)
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by trekkin_gecko » Nov 19 2017 7:09 pm

@RedRoxx44
@cactuscat
my next vehicle will have that capability
although I still like to tent camp

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Nov 19 2017 7:14 pm

@trekkin_gecko
Yeah, I think it's gonna be nice - I will post pics when done!
I figure I will still get my share of tent and hammock camping when backpacking. :)
Where is the "dislike" button?

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 19 2017 9:51 pm

@trekkin_gecko
Wait, don't you have a Truck? Just put a Shell on it... You can also buy Boxes for it if you don't/can't build them yourself... I've done that with a couple of different Pickups I've owned...

I really enjoy sleeping in my Vehicle as well. I'm a tad too long for it, but as long as it's not Frigid Cold, I just sleep with the Hatch open. I've been told I could remove the Back Seats and it would give me just a Tad more Room, but I don't have anywhere to put the Seats and sometimes I have to haul Family around, so it would be a Pain... I can sleep with the Hatch closed, but it's just a tad too cramped.... That's why I carry Tarps, so I can just Rig them so I can sleep with the Hatch open even in the Rain and it gives me room to still Cook and keep stuff dry.... Tarps are very handy to cover anything that I need out of the Vehicle so I can sleep in it. I finally bought a Tent, but mainly for Backpacking. I don't want to wear it out Car Camping, especially when I have a nice 3" Foam Mattress to sleep on. Hint: If you are thinking about a Foam Mattress to sleep on, DO NOT get Memory Foam... First Hand Experience talking here, I'll be selling that Mattress at my next Garage Sale, lol
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Nov 19 2017 11:09 pm

@outdoor_lover
I just built a quick remove platform for Yertle. I can leave the main platform in place, but have to remove kid car seats and add a piece with 4 wing nuts to set up sleeping. Two exped megamats create the sleeping area and Make a queen size spot for my wife and I with 9+ r value. The exped mega mats come in a double as well which is narrower than two put together, but may fit in smaller vehicles.The sides are vertical so two fit together perfectly for our platform. They are self inflating and have memory foam as well. They are heavy, but they aren’t meant for backpacking and they are as comfortable as our bed. We got them on super sale, and have been sleeping on them all summer and they are great. Because of the generator bay and not wanting to remove seating for three there is not room to sit up, but it is pretty comfortable and the air mattresses can be rolled up and the platform used for gear, while still leaving room underneath for the dogs. It’s a work in progress. Because it was a radio truck, it has blackout curtains with Velcro all the way around saving me sewing curtains and the gas heater even makes winter trips comfy. The fold out table with storage underneath means all I have left is to get solar, inverter, and batteries to run an ARB fridge freezer although I think they are efficient enough to run off the 24 volt system already in place. For now the cooler fits in the generator bay. I never really liked car camping, but with little kids we’ve found freecampsites.net to be a good resource for dispersed camping wherever we want to explore. With off-road capability there are great sites almost everywhere. After this years mosquito issues at the dunes and a couple of other spots we camped I also got an awning with a zip in mosquito netting that fits on the rack. In nice weather Bear can sleep there and guard the camp. :)
Attachments
7601BAF9-3E04-4CEE-A6EC-6242B88EE373.jpeg
5D23C792-FF05-4FF2-AE56-FF84545B51B3.jpeg
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Pivo
Nueva Vidapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo » Nov 20 2017 6:01 am

@cactuscat
I switched to a folding 3" pad for sleeping in the back of my Land Cruiser. My air mattress would get mushy when the air temps cooled. Along with a tent that covers the tailgate and hatch gives me more room and protects from wind and rain.

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Nov 20 2017 6:29 am

I have a netting I use from a craft store with magnets for the mosquito bug screen as needed in back. Also have a "plug" so can shut back door but it doesn't lock to be able to push it open to get out easily for the FJ. It has a fold down deck to level it for the bed. I have used the same 4 inch memory foam full or double size mattress for 8 years. It's actually pretty firm which I like. Rolls up for storage with travel.
The Jeep I rigged a pull cord to unlock the back door if I am in it closed up to get out. I can sleep in the back at an angle and can still stretch out some. I pulled out all the carpet, laid down stick on insulation every where that has some padding, and rigged some other carpet much easier to clean. I use a small self inflating mattress and a 2 inch memory foam topper in that one, sometimes I fold it over to minimize the room it takes up.
I also use a folding computer desk top rig to set up my cook stove on so I can have hot coffee in the morning inside the vehicle. Also use it for the lap top map program to peruse it in the evening if needed. The legs are short so it is a low profile but a nice level hard surface to work on.
I also added some stick on LED light bars in the back of both vehicles, adds a lot of nice even light when needing to sort thru stuff in the back in the dark, in addition to a headlamp of course.
For when it is warm and don't want to close up the vehicle but it's monsoon and rainy have a large tarp, attach to vehicle with bungees and tie it off the back, with cords and or stakes, to get air flow but not the rain. That has worked well even in pretty stormy conditions.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 20 2017 12:25 pm

@MtnBart01 @RedRoxx44
It's Interesting that you guys don't have Issues with the Memory Foam. At least when it's Cold... I bought a Twin Sized Memory Foam Mattress and although it was fine in the Summer, when I went on my Fall Trips with Cold Nights, it like...Froze.... Hard as a Frickin' Rock. I'd lay on it and my Body Temp would melt it and I would literally create a Mold in the Bed... And I couldn't roll it up if it was still cold in the Morning....I hated it... I went to regular Foam after that.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Nov 20 2017 2:36 pm

@outdoor_lover
The mattresses are a combination air and foam. I run into the problem your describing with my pillow.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer

Post by cactuscat » Nov 23 2017 4:09 pm

My CRV camper is coming along - the frame/platform are being built, and I completed screens for two windows and curtains for the rest ... ordered my mattress today ... hoping to try it all out next week! :)

no avatar
sweaty_trek_yeti
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe

Post by sweaty_trek_yeti » Nov 25 2017 7:47 pm

Sometimes before I bought my 2nd Gen 4runner, I would hitchhike to a trailhead, hike the trail and then hitchhike home in time for work. Used to time it just right to orave work early Friday and be back zombie tired before work Monday morning. Now, I rides in in quick.

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Nov 29 2017 7:27 am

2018 Wrangler > http://alturl.com/4gmmp
kurt

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Nov 29 2017 8:45 am

@sweaty_trek_yeti
In my backpacking prime my wife would drop me off near the Superstition Trail Heads and I would hitch hike and then hike or backpack from the south to the north or from the west to the east or vice a versa and she would pick me up three days later at the opposite end. Sometimes I had to walk a little further than I had planned but I met a lot of interesting people doing this. They would share with me their hiking and backpacking experiences and I would share information with them. Even got picked up by a State Trooper at the Fish Creek Bridge late one night and met him again 20 years later after we both retired. Some where on this website I told about the three Bikini clad ASU co-eds that picked me up and gave me a ride in their open top jeep. :y:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer

Post by cactuscat » Nov 29 2017 6:54 pm

<r>My CRV camper is mostly done - just a little tweaking left to do. I am going to cover the plywood - thinking I will sort of "upholster" it with fabric and a staple gun. Turned out to work best resting the front-most platform on the front seats (layed back) - I'm going to attach another leg or two under the middle for more support where the front platform folds back on a piano hinge. I am super happy with the Lucid 3" foam mattress! It even has a removable, washable cover and it folds up for transportation and storage ... also folds to make a mini lounger, good for reading and such. It's pretty deluxe. :D
Attachments
20171129_163657.jpg
20171129_163850.jpg
20171129_163632.jpg

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Nov 30 2017 10:06 pm

@cactuscat

That looks like a nice setup.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Aug 24 2018 8:38 pm

I got T-Boned today, and while the repair place said it is not likely to be totaled, I won't be keeping my car after a collision. Sort of a shame as while I didn't care for a lot about it, I was about to the get the title.

Based on my hiking preferences, is it better for me to look at a Tacoma, F-150, or some SUV? What about just being cheap and getting a small sedan. My rental is a Cadillac, and it just feels weird and tiny. If I get a pick-up, not having 4wd is probably dumb.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

kelly14
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix

Post by kelly14 » Aug 24 2018 9:29 pm

@Jim_H I’ve managed to get everywhere I’ve wanted to go (except once) in my 2wd truck but yes I would kill for that 4wd just to have that added level of comfort.

Having at least high clearance if not a 4wd vehicle is I feel a requirement to get to all the finest hiking destinations This state offers. But then again if you got a buddy you hike with all the time who has all that maybe you can get away with a Prius?

Sorry about the accident btw hope everyone made it out in 1 piece.
Last edited by kelly14 on Aug 24 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Aug 25 2018 9:09 am

Anyone have experience with a Nissan Frontier?
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Aug 25 2018 9:17 am

We have a Frontier for a shop truck (235k and climbing)... V6 Pretty bomber and without the $ premium one needs to give for a Tacoma (although they are awesome). Nissan had a recall on bad radiators that allowed coolant into the auto. trans, fluid, ruining first the solenoids then the trans. Be certain there is no 'funky look' to either the trans fluid or coolant.
Last edited by hikeaz on Aug 25 2018 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kurt

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Aug 25 2018 9:23 am

@Jim_H
I'd recommend your decision tree look something like this:
- New or used?
- How much do I want to spend?
- How important is fuel economy?
- Car, Pickup or SUV?
Car for fuel economy
PU for more hauling capability
SUV for more interior space... can sleep in it
- If I get a 4WD (PU or SUV) how much will I use 4WD?
- Do I want 4WD to go places I never could before or just for peace-of-mind

Just a few things to think about.
CannondaleKid

kelly14
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix

Post by kelly14 » Aug 25 2018 11:49 am

@Jim_H I have a 2016 Nissan Frontier and have beaten the crap out of it going on almost 3 years. No issues whatsoever. Very reliable truck IMO. Quite a bit cheaper too than it’s competitors.
Last edited by kelly14 on Aug 25 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”