Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Hiking vehicles

Post by rally_toad » Mar 06 2008 7:26 pm

What kind of vehicles do you guys all drive when your going hiking? Im thinking about investing in a 4wd high clearance Jeep or something of the sort so I could get to some places where I definitely couldnt get to with what Im driving now (73 mustang):) I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee today for $2600 and I was thinking about checking it out. What "hiking vehicle" is easiest to drive and which gets the best gas mileage (even though I know most wouldnt be too fuel efficient.)
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by te_wa » Jul 17 2008 1:10 pm

wait... Land Rover, owned by Jaguar, was purchased by Ford Motors a while back... are they still English vehicles? I have no idea
:D

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 17 2008 1:44 pm

Buy the stock Xterra 4x4 model**(the one with transfer case dashboard panel switch 2H/4H/4L that has a front drive shaft & front axle pumpkin) which will get you to 100% of the Superstition TH's. Then after you buy it, take those 4 worthless mud guards OFF the wheel wells. Always remember: a good 4x4 not only has to be functional, it also has to look cool too!!! :D

** = Nissan also sell an Xterra model that they market as a 4x4 that has a dashboard panel switch to ingage a type of locker in the back axle... I suggest you not fall for this option as a 4x4. It is better to have the above first choice option with what they call a 4x4 that has one wheel in back and one in front with traction, than to have only their type of locker engaged on the back axle. Remember too that 4x4 vehicles cost more to insure and use more $gas$ than a 4x2.
Last edited by Grasshopper on Jul 17 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jul 17 2008 2:05 pm

te-wa wrote:wait... Land Rover, owned by Jaguar, was purchased by Ford Motors a while back... are they still English vehicles? I have no idea
Good point. But they are tough...at least they used to be (Well, the Defender still is).
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Davis2001r6
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Jul 17 2008 2:19 pm

The defender may be a tough one if you can find it but in general Land Rover has one the worst reliability records in recent years.

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jul 17 2008 2:23 pm

davis2001r6 wrote:The defender may be a tough one if you can find it but in general Land Rover has one the worst reliability records in recent years.
The mid-90's models are the only way to go.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 18 2008 10:46 am

Update on Land Rover (and Jaguar) - they were both recently purchased by Tata Motors of India, but they will continue to be made in England...

Anyone have experience with an Outback?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 18 2008 12:14 pm

PageRob wrote: Anyone have experience with an Outback?
They're great in rain and snow, but don't have enough clearance for off-road or jeep road use.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 18 2008 3:29 pm

Interesting...I'd heard that they had as much ground clearance as an Explorer. Thanks for the info!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Jul 18 2008 3:43 pm

big_load wrote:They're great in rain and snow, but don't have enough clearance for off-road or jeep road use.
PageRob wrote:Interesting...I'd heard that they had as much ground clearance as an Explorer.
oh, nevermind.

you could always get a 1964 Volkswagen BAJA which will get you anywhere, has no silly mileage reducing luxuries like air conditioning or on-board traction control, and will only set you back about $1200 for a nice one. They really are go getters, despite the horrid looks.

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jul 18 2008 3:45 pm

PageRob wrote:Interesting...I'd heard that they had as much ground clearance as an Explorer. Thanks for the info!
Which isn't a lot, unfortunately. Also - look carefully at where items like sway bars, tie rods, drag-links, shock mounts, etc are placed on the vehicle. On most of the mall crawlers these items are in spots that make them easy targets for serious damage on even the most forgiving trails...The body might look like it's up and away from harm, but critical drive line and suspension components are usually very exposed.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 18 2008 3:54 pm

te-wa wrote:you could always get a 1964 Volkswagen BAJA which will get you anywhere, has no silly mileage reducing luxuries like air conditioning or on-board traction control, and will only set you back about $1200 for a nice one. They really are go getters, despite the horrid looks.
And we could fix it ourselves, a big plus. Another plus is that my wife is a huge old VW fan, and had several back before I met her.
Jeff MacE wrote: Which isn't a lot, unfortunately. Also - look carefully at where items like sway bars, tie rods, drag-links, shock mounts, etc are placed on the vehicle. On most of the mall crawlers these items are in spots that make them easy targets for serious damage on even the most forgiving trails...The body might look like it's up and away from harm, but critical drive line and suspension components are usually very exposed.
Yeah, I'm not looking for serious 4x4 action. Right now I own a 4x2 Explorer and a VW Jetta, and I know which one has had a busted oil pan on my watch. I'd like to ditch the Jetta for something that still gets decent mileage (since I drive 90 miles a day, round trip for work) and we can take up a graded forest road without having to worry about busting something apart, like happened last weekend.
-Old Spiritual

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jul 18 2008 5:08 pm

PageRob wrote:
te-wa wrote:you could always get a 1964 Volkswagen BAJA which will get you anywhere, has no silly mileage reducing luxuries like air conditioning or on-board traction control, and will only set you back about $1200 for a nice one. They really are go getters, despite the horrid looks.
And we could fix it ourselves, a big plus. Another plus is that my wife is a huge old VW fan, and had several back before I met her.
Jeff MacE wrote: Which isn't a lot, unfortunately. Also - look carefully at where items like sway bars, tie rods, drag-links, shock mounts, etc are placed on the vehicle. On most of the mall crawlers these items are in spots that make them easy targets for serious damage on even the most forgiving trails...The body might look like it's up and away from harm, but critical drive line and suspension components are usually very exposed.
Yeah, I'm not looking for serious 4x4 action. Right now I own a 4x2 Explorer and a VW Jetta, and I know which one has had a busted oil pan on my watch. I'd like to ditch the Jetta for something that still gets decent mileage (since I drive 90 miles a day, round trip for work) and we can take up a graded forest road without having to worry about busting something apart, like happened last weekend.
There's always the notorious VW Kurierwagen A.K.A. - the "Thing" :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 18 2008 5:32 pm

Jeff MacE wrote: There's always the notorious VW Kurierwagen A.K.A. - the "Thing" :D
Now that would fit the bill for sure! :D
-Old Spiritual

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 18 2008 8:12 pm

Jeff MacE wrote:
PageRob wrote:Interesting...I'd heard that they had as much ground clearance as an Explorer. Thanks for the info!
Which isn't a lot, unfortunately.
I agree. Another downside to the Outback is that it doesn't have a low-range 4wd. However, I do highly recommend them for on-road use. They have outstanding reliability.

I once had a '68 bug. What a horrendous headache that was! I spent more time fixing it than driving it. It was an unreliable deathtrap that finally met its end when a state inspector went nuts and stomped off the running boards and kicked in the fenders.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jul 19 2008 9:10 am

Drive the original quad, Jeep Wrangler. I also have a military jeep trailer prelaoded (my jeep is preloaded, I can stay out for 4 days) for my longer camping trips. Since I do not have a family to cart around, the jeep works great. I would love to have the Jeep Gladiator pickup concept vehicle though.
jk

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jul 19 2008 12:10 pm

2003 chevy tracker. 30mpg, 4 banger, 2wd. 4door. havent had any problems getting anywhere in 5 years of owning it, been all over the moab area in utah, made it to the trailhead at hellhole bend(little colorado)slow, but made it, and everywhere in between. but now that i posted this ill probably get stuck somewhere this weekend...
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 19 2008 4:45 pm

I've learned over these last years working out on the forests and plateaus that anything can get stuck if you try hard enough (or, conversely, aren't trying hard enough).
-Old Spiritual

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 19 2008 7:03 pm

PageRob wrote:I've learned over these last years working out on the forests and plateaus that anything can get stuck if you try hard enough (or, conversely, aren't trying hard enough).
That's for sure. Some people just don't get it. The real key to avoid getting stuck is quickly recognizing that whatever you're doing, if not working, will continue not to work and will probably make the situation worse. You never lose anything by stopping to think. There are tools applicable to the problem besides just the gas pedal and the steering wheel. There may be actual work involved. :sweat:

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Jul 19 2008 8:56 pm

big_load wrote:The real key to avoid getting stuck is quickly recognizing that whatever you're doing... will probably make the situation worse.
ha! If parts ain't flyin' you ain't tryin' :sl:

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 20 2008 10:33 am

big_load wrote:There are tools applicable to the problem besides just the gas pedal and the steering wheel.
..and one of these is a good quality ~30ft "tow strap! I highly recommend that everyone who plans to take their vehicle offroad have one of these in the vehicle at all times with an anchor point front and/or back (not the front and back bumper or axle).
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Return to “General”