Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rally_toad
City, State: CA

Hiking vehicles

Post by rally_toad »

What kind of vehicles do you guys all drive when your going hiking? Im thinking about investing in a 4wd high clearance Jeep or something of the sort so I could get to some places where I definitely couldnt get to with what Im driving now (73 mustang):) I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee today for $2600 and I was thinking about checking it out. What "hiking vehicle" is easiest to drive and which gets the best gas mileage (even though I know most wouldnt be too fuel efficient.)
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth
The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by The_Eagle »

@SgtLumpy
Missing a Hikearizona.com sticker in the rear window. [-X

You did not opt for the 4 x 4 version of the Astro?
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry
PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL »

I've been browsing the interwebs nearly every day for months looking for a 4x4 and can't find one in my price range. On the flip-side, 4x2s seem to be pretty readily available when it comes to first gen Tacomas. If I'm going to get a truck, I might as well go all in and get 4x4, no? What are some pros and cons of having 4x4 over 4x2, and vice versa?
PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 »

Patrick:

4x4's have more complexity and they generally get worse gas mileage than a 4x2. But... they sure are nice when it's muddy and snowy and two wheels just ain't working... If you aren't going to be rock crawling, then you won't need anything too gnarly; a Tacoma is a great truck! Mileage isn't as good as the older Toyota's but, then again, they aren't the older trucks... Get the cleanest one you can find at the best price.
paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard »

If you get a 2wd you'll kick yourself numerous times (as in every time you would love to go somewhere "if you only had 4wd.") I traded my 2wd Sierra for a 4wd Ram and couldn't be happier. Gas mileage is suprisingly about the same except when off roading.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper »

Patrick L wrote:I've been browsing the interwebs nearly every day for months looking for a 4x4 and can't find one in my price range.
If you do decide to go 4WD and find one you like in your price range, before you buy it do call your insurance agent and confirm the extra $$ you will pay for the 4WD vs 2WD.. it may not be much more yearly, but it will definitely be more out of pocket for your collision and comprehensive coverages..
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")
SgtLumpy
City, State: N Phoenix, AZ

Post by SgtLumpy »

coanbru wrote:@SgtLumpy

You did not opt for the 4 x 4 version of the Astro?
No, I bought it as a stock, blue, soccer mom van. I really had no intention of turning it into an off road vehicle. The 4WD version of the Astro is not a true 4x4, it's an AWD. Built more for ice/snow and occasional loss of traction on roads, rather than off roading. In any case, I've gotten my 2WD vehicles in and out of just as tight, or tighter than I've gotten the 4WD trucks I've owned. I made it over the pass at Death Valley from Ballarat, past Manson's old place, to the Death Valley floor below, in my old 56 VW buss. That's a trail that's rated as "4x4 only". The jeeps always double take when I drive by, wave, and ask "Need any help?".

In this 2WD Astro, I"ve been from Castle Hot Springs to Crown King on the rock crawl road that the jeepers are so proud of. Maybe I'm just lucky. But I think that simply placing your wheels in the right place will get any old truck up the hill, through the mud, across the creek, whatever, in simple ol' 2WD.

Sgt Lumpy
Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper »

SgtLumpy wrote:Maybe I'm just lucky. But I think that simply placing your wheels in the right place will get any old truck up the hill, through the mud, across the creek, whatever, in simple ol' 2WD.
You're just been lucky as your number is definitely coming up.. :lol:
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")
nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

4x4 is useful for mud, and for difficult rds, where you need traction on one front wheel and one back wheel. You can get to many places in 2wd, but when going off road, having 4WD can give you the confidence you will make it back home.

You may want to educate yourself on the difference between all wheel drive and true four wheel drive. Sometimes people will call AWD 4WD because power can be delivered to all 4 wheels. This is where learning about what type of differentials, lockers, and electronic-controlled actuating mechanisms makes it more complicated. For example, some tacomas have a limited slip rear, but no center diff, which is not the greatest, but better than plain old AWD.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

I have an old Honda Accord I take to go bumping around FS roads. Occasionally I have been places I shouldn't, and then I get the stares from the people in the SUVs. The people who seem the most puzzled are the ones who think that taking their Escalade on a Forest Service road is "four-wheeling!"

This, my friends, is four wheeling...my son built this rock-crawler:
Attachments
077.jpg
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal »

The biggest lesson I've learned in having a 4x4 is that I may have gone in in 2 wheel drive, but I'm gonna need 4 wheel drive to get out.
Usually because of weather change, like a monsooner suddenly changed a nice road to a mud bog.
and then there's that ...gee that road didn't seem too bad coming down.......
Although I can always hear my dad when in 82 we bought our first 4x4 Bronco.......well when you get stuck now you're really stuck.
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL »

I've already come to terms with lower gas mileage.

Think I'll hold out a little longer and see if anything comes up. 4x4, that is.
no avatar
Borknagar
City, State: Phoenix

Post by Borknagar »

I have a '06 rubicon and love it. Gas mileage could be better, but it's worth it. If I were to ever get a different car I would definitely accompany it with a dirt bike to make up for my loss of 4x4 and awesomeness.
CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid »

nonot wrote:You may want to educate yourself on the difference between all wheel drive and true four wheel drive.
Yes, there are quite a few variants of AWD and 4WD.
Of the AWD varieties there are a number of differences between them, some reasonably capable, but most aren't. Of course many of the latest vehicles make use of the anti-lock braking system to provide traction-control, but under extreme conditions applying braking force to one or more wheels adds more load on the drive-train.

The AWD Honda CRV I had was only front-wheel drive UNTIL you LOST TRACTION, then and only then would the rear wheels kick in. That may work ok on snowy roads and such, but when you REALLY need all the wheels driving, forget it. As soon as it gained traction again, it would drop back to front wheel drive. So on steep, loose-rock hills it became a bucking bronco, literally kicking-in and kicking-out of four wheel drive and some hills I simply could not scale.

I agree with the posters recommending true 4WD over 2WD. But if you don't plan on going out-in-the-sticks it may be overkill, so it really depends on YOUR individual needs.
Yes, fuel economy will be less, but sometimes it isn't much.
Yes, insurance may be a bit more, but then that depends on the actual vehicle. I know of some 2WD models that it's higher due to the type of people who buy them get in more accidents than those who buy the 4WD variants. For me, with a '01 Pathfinder and a '99 Jeep Cherokee, I only carry liability coverage so it's dirt cheap for both.
CannondaleKid
Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal »

It's a basic platform, but I think it has potential.....

Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher »

@Alston Neal
Much. But it needs a cargo box.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain
ASUAviator

Post by ASUAviator »

My hiking vehicle(s)

13' Toyota Taco TRD Off-Road, V6, 4x4, and rear locker
I love it, got it in december. I get about 20mpg hwy and 18 city. Just turned 5000 miles old this weekend :lone: When I pay it off ill beef it up a little but for now it easily goes anywhere Id be willing to take it. For the places im not so willing... my 05' Honda Foreman 500 4x4. It goes anywhere 8)
Thoreau

Post by Thoreau »

Ive done a lot of 4 wheeling with tacos. Those buggers are extreeeeeeemely capable, even in stock form. Add a modest lift, some skid plates and sliders, and a total lack of care for the paint and they can do anything =)
SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

Thoreau wrote: and a total lack of care for the paint and they can do anything =)
:sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
paulhubbard

Post by paulhubbard »

As long as we're bragging... Love my Ram!!
kl013a.jpg
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
ASUAviator

Post by ASUAviator »

@paulhubbard
Dual exhaust in the rear? I love that look

Return to “General”