Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Hiking vehicles

Post by rally_toad » Mar 06 2008 7:26 pm

What kind of vehicles do you guys all drive when your going hiking? Im thinking about investing in a 4wd high clearance Jeep or something of the sort so I could get to some places where I definitely couldnt get to with what Im driving now (73 mustang):) I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee today for $2600 and I was thinking about checking it out. What "hiking vehicle" is easiest to drive and which gets the best gas mileage (even though I know most wouldnt be too fuel efficient.)
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Nov 17 2017 4:20 pm

chumley wrote:I'm pretty sure they're white fur.
Well if their not white fur they will soon be....
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Nov 17 2017 4:30 pm

Anyone have experience with roof top tents on your hiking vehicles?
I am loving the look of the RoofNest ...
Where is the "dislike" button?

skatchkins
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Nov 17 2017 5:16 pm

@friendofThundergod
I would 4runner up if my fire extinguisher ever stops working. I don't think it'd be Sun City West White but still, nice choice.
Must be why I haven't see you driving around as much.
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Nov 18 2017 9:56 am

@cactuscat
I checked into a rooftop tent for my Outback but apparently the stock roof rack isn't strong or wide enough for most tents. I also didn't want the tent on top of my vehicle all the time, but taking it on/off wasn't going to be easy. My wife wasn't real keen on going up and down the ladder in the dark for middle of the night nature calls either. And $3K - $4K for good quality.
So we decided to stay ground-based.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 18 2017 10:04 am

I've always wondered what the cost-benefit analysis on those tents is. They seem very expensive, and I can't really figure out why the roof of your car is better than the ground.
Highway to hell

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Nov 18 2017 10:12 am

@chumley
More room inside the vehicle since your bedding stays upstairs. Fast setup/teardown compared to a tent. A little easier to stealth camp, just need a parking spot instead of a parking + tent spot.

chumley

Post by chumley » Nov 18 2017 10:18 am

I didn't realize you could keep things like bedding inside the tent when you were driving. That's pretty cool. I guess some tents can be complicated to pitch, but I have one that I can put up by myself in under 3 minutes, so I don't usually think that's an area where I need to look to make improvements!
Highway to hell

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Nov 18 2017 12:20 pm

@cactuscat

@toddak
I ran into similar issue with Ikamper when they were offering it for pre run special (still spendy at 2 grand). My rack could handle the weight but the distance between cross members at their widest was not enough. They also didn’t have anything that would accommodate the wide diameter tubes of the old xterra and Nissan Frontier racks. We do a lot of dispersed camping with the kids and dogs and thought it would be easier than fitting 3 days worth of gear dogs and kids in the Nissan Frontier truck(which is almost impossible). We though about it for our new to us vehicle, but after building queen size sleeping platform in it there is room for young kids and dogs to sleep inside if necessary and when the kids get too big they can start setting up the tent. We looked at off road capable tear drops as well, but the cost was almost as much as the truck I bought and now I have an off-road/ snow capable vehicle when my wife takes the Frontier to get to work on powder days.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 18 2017 12:34 pm

@chumley
Obviously cost/benefit is different for different folks, but I can think of times when they would come in handy...
- No level ground to be found
- Ground too hard for stakes (Stakes needed in windy conditions, and some tents require stakes to stay up.)
- Ground too rocky
- Too many pointy things
- Ants
- Setting up a tent in the middle of the night while it's raining
- etc...
For any and all those reasons, not long ago I gave some thought of two off-ground options, ultimately choosing neither.
1. The trailer was out because I hate pulling a trailer (At my age it's too easy to I forget it's there) as well as general off-road IN-capability and extra wear-and-tear on tow vehicle. (Also Steph & Blake's experience solidified the thought)
2. The rooftop was out because the area is already taken by a 150 Watt solar panel.

Which leaves us stuck on the ground for the duration.
CannondaleKid

cactuscat

Post by cactuscat » Nov 18 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks for the input, guys!
Roofnests run about $2500-$3000 - yes pricey, but less than a tear drop trailer and nothing to tow.
I will be starting from scratch with the roof rack - my CRV just has the fixed anchor points, so I am buying a Yakima rack system from Experticity for 40% off. It will definitely hold the tent.
I like the idea of being up off the ground, away from animal, and with a view ... also, no need for a tent site is nice. The Roofnests have hardshells, so good weather protection. They go up automatically on struts, and are extremely low profile when not in use, so I would probably leave it up there most of the time.

cactuscat

Post by cactuscat » Nov 18 2017 2:28 pm

Plus just look how cute!
Attachments
RoofNest-Sparrows-Eye-23-1030x772.jpg
MichalMowerySunset-1030x773.jpg

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 18 2017 3:01 pm

cactuscat wrote:Plus just look how cute!
yes until the high winds start to blow
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Nov 18 2017 3:06 pm

The 3:AM potty time would suck...

for my wife.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

cactuscat

Post by cactuscat » Nov 18 2017 3:18 pm

@Grasshopper
It seems as though they do fine in pretty strong winds - the main issue being noise, which would also be the case in a ground tent.

chumley

Post by chumley » Nov 18 2017 3:41 pm

cactuscat wrote:look how cute!
This is clearly the most important factor in any tent purchasing decision! :D
Highway to hell

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 18 2017 4:42 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:@chumley
Obviously cost/benefit is different for different folks, but I can think of times when they would come in handy...
- No level ground to be found
How does having a car underneath you make the ground level?
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 18 2017 5:12 pm

chumley wrote:cactuscat wrote:look how cute! This is clearly the most important factor in any tent purchasing decision!
Kind-of like being somewhat clueless (I was once guilty) when starting to modify/add-ons to a stock vehicle for some serious off-roading.. $ modifications $ don't need to always be functional, just need to look 8)
Last edited by Grasshopper on Nov 18 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

cactuscat

Post by cactuscat » Nov 18 2017 5:14 pm

Upon further consideration, maybe I don't need the hardshell/automatic opening features ... a Tepui or Yakima RTT without those features for about $1000 or less seems more practical.

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Nov 19 2017 1:44 pm

I sleep in the FJ and can sleep in the Jeep. Both vehicles have the rear seating removed and stored in the garage. Items that end up outside I usually put in dry bags in case of rain, under the vehicle. If I sleep outside it's a cowboy camp, want to see the stars. It is very nice inside when the wind and rain comes. I also carry a small folding step stool for the midnight calls of nature so I don't fall out the back of the vehicle.

cactuscat

Post by cactuscat » Nov 19 2017 5:40 pm

@RedRoxx44
Funny you should mention that - I just removed the CRV's back seats today! It's cavernous in there now, ready to go as is with air mattress, but I am going to build a platform for storage underneath and nice foam mattress on top. It's perfect, and so simple and cheap. I am making screens and curtains for the windows as well.

Return to “General”