Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Hiking vehicles

Post by rally_toad » Mar 06 2008 7:26 pm

What kind of vehicles do you guys all drive when your going hiking? Im thinking about investing in a 4wd high clearance Jeep or something of the sort so I could get to some places where I definitely couldnt get to with what Im driving now (73 mustang):) I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee today for $2600 and I was thinking about checking it out. What "hiking vehicle" is easiest to drive and which gets the best gas mileage (even though I know most wouldnt be too fuel efficient.)
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 30 2018 5:05 am

@garyc57
Wouldn't it be more pleasant to have her go ahead and wait for you every couple of miles? Less noise, etc. Seems to me that having a vehicle following you the entire time would feel very irksome and annoying.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Aug 30 2018 7:16 am

azbackpackr wrote: Seems to me that having a vehicle your wife following you the entire time would feel very irksome and annoying.
Fixed it for ya. :)
Relax people, I'm just joking!

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Aug 30 2018 8:16 am

garyc57 wrote:Would that 3-5 hours of running in idle strain the engine and/or transmission? Anything else mechanical-wise I should worry about?
Even if it has high miles, the engine should be fine. If it has a manual transmission it should also be fine, but with an automatic transmission I'd be hesitant.

Personally, no matter the miles and drive-train I would not recommend driving that far in the same gear whether hi or lo range.

I'd recommend drive a mile or so, sit and wait for a short period of time before driving the next mile. I would shut the engine off each time as well as it is better on an automatic transmission to shut down. Temps should be cool enough that AC wouldn't be needed either.
CannondaleKid

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 30 2018 10:37 am

@chumley
Thanks! 😁
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Sep 25 2018 9:33 am

Chevy is introducing (1/19) a "Bison" version of their ZR2 truck. For maximum protection of key undercarriage elements while driving over rocky, jagged terrain, Bison features five skid plates covering the engine oil pan, fuel tank, transfer case and front and rear locking differentials. Designed by AEV, these skid plates are constructed of hard, durable hot-stamped Boron steel. Stamped steel front and rear bumpers further shield the truck from obstacles. The front bumper contains winch provisions and standard fog lights, with recovery points integrated into the rear bumper. The ZR2 Bison also duplicates the full equipment list of the Colorado ZR2, including, but not limited to:

Class-exclusive front and rear locking electronic differentials
Revolutionary, segment-exclusive Multimatic DSSVTM dampers
Off-road rocker protection
Cast-iron control arms
Autotrac transfer case

Like ZR2, Bison also features a modified rear axle with a 3.42 ratio, front and rear tracks widened by 3.5 inches and a factory suspension lifted 2 inches over a Colorado Z71.
Last edited by hikeaz on Sep 25 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Sep 25 2018 10:26 am

@Hansenaz
Well, Not abandoning after all. Title should be coming in October, and it seems OK post work. After my time in the rental Frontier, I had enough of a truck.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

cw50must

Post by cw50must » Sep 25 2018 12:24 pm

@hikeaz
I like that this ZR2 came out and with the possibility of a Ranger Raptor, I'm hoping this will make Toyota up their game. A front locker would be nice!

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Nov 15 2018 11:55 am

The just-announced Colorado Z71 Trail runner begins with the Z71 package and adds the Colorado ZR2’s under-body protection and rubber. These include aluminum front and mid skid plates, functional rocker protection and Goodyear Duratrac tires. With this new trim, Chevrolet offers four distinct Colorado levels of off-road capability:

- Colorado Z71: Z71 Off-Road Suspension, automatic locking rear differential and unique 17-inch painted wheels and all-terrain tires.
- New Colorado Z71 Trail Runner: Adds additional off-road protection to the Z71 trim with the Colorado ZR2’s front and mid skid plates, rocker protection and 17-inch Goodyear Duratrac tires standard.
- Colorado ZR2: Compared to a standard Colorado, the ZR2 features a factory-installed 3.5-inch wider track and a suspension lifted by 2 inches. Class-exclusive features include front and rear electronic locking differentials and Multimatic DSSV Dampers. The ZR2 also features front and mid skid plates, rocker protection and front and rear bumpers modified for better off-road clearance.
- Colorado ZR2 Bison: The ZR2 Bison adds even more extreme off-road capability with five hot-stamped Boron steel skid plates and stamped steel front and rear bumpers with front winch provisions and rear recovery points.
kurt

chumley

Post by chumley » Nov 15 2018 12:59 pm

@hikeaz All those cool features can’t possibly overcome the single indisputable disqualifier. It’s still a Chevy. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Highway to hell

hikerdw
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Post by hikerdw » Nov 19 2018 8:10 am

Reliability order for mid sized trucks per CR:

1. Nissan Frontier
2. Honda Ridgeline
3. Chevrolet Colorado
4. GMC Canyon
5. Toyota Tacoma

I am sure this is looking at the newer models, where Toyota did all it could to destroy the Tacoma with the 2016 redesign. The demand of a well cared for 2015 or older Tacoma should be at a premium.

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Nov 19 2018 8:28 am

Well, the FJ is having some sort of issue, hopefully will be diagnosed in a week or two. Probably rear drive shaft, toyota has an old bulletin on that. However maybe clutch or an idler bearing issue or both.
Took it to Parashant but I was worried enough had a clutch kit I purchased a while back and a genuine Toy throw out bearing on board, figured if it tanked could get a rancher to tow me into St. George where at least I would have most parts.

After all 187K of some hard miles on it, and the most I've done is the oil changes, diffs, and a serpentine belt. Didn't need brakes until 169K. And of course the disastrous motor mount issue, apparently the welds are holding up.

Pivo
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo » Nov 19 2018 1:17 pm

Th 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser is cow proven: [ photo ]

AndrewAZ

Post by AndrewAZ » Nov 23 2018 8:25 pm

hikerdw wrote:
Nov 19 2018 8:10 am
Reliability order for mid sized trucks per CR:

1. Nissan Frontier
2. Honda Ridgeline
3. Chevrolet Colorado
4. GMC Canyon
5. Toyota Tacoma

I am sure this is looking at the newer models, where Toyota did all it could to destroy the Tacoma with the 2016 redesign. The demand of a well cared for 2015 or older Tacoma should be at a premium.
This might explain why two dealers contact me every few months to see if I want to sell them my 2012 manual V6 with off-road package.

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Nov 24 2018 12:25 am

AndrewAZ wrote:
Nov 23 2018 8:25 pm
This might explain why two dealers contact me every few months to see if I want to sell them my 2012 manual V6 with off-road package.
Nah, they just want you to buy a new vehicle.
Go find a LonelyCache

SkyIslandHiker
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Nov 28 2018 8:14 pm

Honda is reviving the Passport with a standard V6:
http://www.autonews.com/article/2018112 ... 29744/1114

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Nov 28 2018 9:07 pm

@SkyIslandHiker
Perfect! I've been wishing for something a little bigger and more tow-capable than my beloved CR-V, yet not as lumbering as the Pilot. This looks like just the thing.
Where is the "dislike" button?

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 28 2018 9:22 pm

SkyIslandHiker wrote:Honda is reviving the Passport with a standard V6:
While Honda is reviving the name, it is taking a distinctly different approach.
Previously it was an Isuzu-built rear-wheel or four-wheel drive SUV.
This time it will be a Honda-built front-wheel or all-wheel drive SUV.
CannondaleKid

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Nov 28 2018 9:35 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:
Nov 28 2018 9:22 pm
SkyIslandHiker wrote:Honda is reviving the Passport with a standard V6:
While Honda is reviving the name, it is taking a distinctly different approach.
Previously it was an Isuzu-built rear-wheel or four-wheel drive SUV.
This time it will be a Honda-built front-wheel or all-wheel drive SUV.
The former (through 2002 - aka Rodeo, through 2004) was body-on-frame. This one is an Odyssey (minivan) with a SUV body welded on top, as was/is the Ridgeline/MDX/Pilot . Not an off-road vehicle by any estimation. 'Not that there is anything wrong with that.'
https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping ... ros-245716
Attachments
Honda Ridgeline.png
Last edited by hikeaz on Nov 28 2018 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kurt

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 29 2018 8:35 am

hikeaz wrote:Not an off-road vehicle by any estimation. 'Not that there is anything wrong with that.'
Yup, perfect for those who will never drive off-pavement... unless by mistake (maybe something like Chumley's off-pavement excursion?)
CannondaleKid

chumley

Post by chumley » Nov 29 2018 8:49 am

@CannondaleKid
:lol: I'm guessing the new Passport would not have performed very well in my recent off-pavement excursion! (Though technically that was an on-pavement excursion. Until it wasn't. ](*,) )

But it looks to be a fine vehicle for what 99% of people would use it for: everyday driving with an occasional camping trip down a dirt road and maybe a little extra traction in winter snow.

Return to “General”