Hiking vehicles

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rally_toad
City, State: CA

Hiking vehicles

Post by rally_toad »

What kind of vehicles do you guys all drive when your going hiking? Im thinking about investing in a 4wd high clearance Jeep or something of the sort so I could get to some places where I definitely couldnt get to with what Im driving now (73 mustang):) I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee today for $2600 and I was thinking about checking it out. What "hiking vehicle" is easiest to drive and which gets the best gas mileage (even though I know most wouldnt be too fuel efficient.)
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth
azlaurie
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by azlaurie »

I am purchasing a Smart Car put a lift on it. Cheap and ultralight. Yep. Take that in the back country. YEE HAW! :y:
♥ Timing is Everything ♥
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

I love my AEV Pro Cal. Got tired of looking at or putting painters' tape over the TPMS light ( I run my 10 ply 37 inch tires at 25 psi so I don't give myself whiplash or vibrate everything loose on rough dirt roads) and got tired of waiting for my check engine light to reset. So I turned off the TPMS with the programmer and reset the check engine light. I do have a new Mopar gas cap en route. I also used it to recalibrate my speedo when I went to larger tires and my mechanic used it when he recalibrated the axle ratio. Quite useful, although there are lots of programmers out there now that do more, and probably now for less cost. But I am happy with what I can do with it so far.
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Just a reminder you might have a great vehicle but experience and care matter a great deal too. This frightening video is a reminder when things go wrong; they can go very wrong.
[ youtube video ]
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

Where is the "dislike" button?
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

@cactuscat
Meh. I'd prefer they put their efforts into making their current lineup more competitive with new models from other manufacturers. Toyota doesn't need a new truck. They do trucks well. But some pressure from competitors on fuel efficiency, modern design, creature comforts, pricing, etc. could net their bottom line a lot more than a new ground-up design would.
33s over 45s
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

They just need to bring back the FJ and update it; maybe have a hybrid version and work on the fuel economy. Rumor has it that the poor fuel economy and lackluster initial sales ( launch in 2007 just when the economy tanked) led to it's demise to help the overall fleet meet government mandated goals.

Some redesign I would like: large sunroof option, the back sidepanels instead of the stupid portholes make it a thick one way view glass, the whole panel which would help a lot with rear visibility, solid front axle, optional front locker. Off road option with about 1-2 more inches taller stock, make it slightly narrower and shorter and it would be unstoppable off road. IMO :)

Oh, and saw a video of the new Ford Bronco trying to get out of Mickey's Hot tub near Moab. Not impressed. Maybe the driver was not experienced and too high air pressure but took him like 8-9 tries with a spotter and the lack of stock articulation showed big time.
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs »

Toyota just needs to bring the Hilux to America.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
chumley

Post by chumley »

RedRoxx44 wrote:the new Ford Bronco
The actual bronco, or the sport? I've only seen sports so far, and the only thing they share with the real one is the name. The sport is just sportier looking escape.
33s over 45s
Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal »

We bought our FJ April 2006 and now have 230K. If one wanted a used one there are lots of them out there that have never seen dirt. Or this Toyotaish Suv..https://www.carscoops.com/2020/01/new-l ... -off-grid/
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
RedRoxx44

Post by RedRoxx44 »

@chumley
Don't know here is video [ youtube video ]

then look at this guy; [ youtube video ]

I've done Mickey's in the mid 90's with a Jeep club. It is very tricky in a SWB vehicle and you can flip backwards easily. But with about 8-10 lbs pressure and lockers is really a no brainer.
sneakySASQUATCH
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH »

Bring back original Pinz 4 or 6 wheel variant no changes problem solved they made a couple 4 wheel prototype hard top trucks for Plan to sell to civilian market in US one of which sold recently. https://swissarmyvehicles.com/vehicles/ ... vilian-173.
Idea was ahead of it’s time. There are a couple projects out there working on full electric and hybrid upgrades.

[ youtube video ]
:o
chumley

Post by chumley »

@sneakySASQUATCH
I don't think they can do it based on US fuel economy laws. I don't know the exact details, but I believe an automaker that sells vehicles here has to have an average economy rating across all their vehicles. So Ford can sell an 8mpg F-350, but only because it is offset by the 35mpg Edge or whatever. Now if the electric or hybrid thing happens, then maybe it becomes possible. Or they can make a baby "prinzess" that looks like a smart car? :)
33s over 45s
AugustWest
City, State: Phoenix

Post by AugustWest »

@chumley
Pretty sure all foreign vehicles are 'grandfathered after 20 or 25 years allowing for importation at that time.
Wildflower seed in the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again
sneakySASQUATCH
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH »

@AugustWest
25 years
@chumley
The mini version would be a Steyr haflinger which they made as well!
[ youtube video ]
Attachments
573257EA-1E68-4624-A428-21E0FC06E51C.png
:o
chumley

Post by chumley »

Hyundai is bringing back the Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transporter!
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicl ... santa-cruz

And it looks ... um ... well, I'm sure there's a market for them.

The released specs clearly define the size of the touch screen. It does not indicate ground clearance (which appears to be less than the screen :sweat:). It does feature all-wheel-drive and can tow that instaworthy overlanding bubble trailer thing.

At a minimum, it should be a big hit in Patagonia, Sonoita, and Nogales!
Attachments
2022-santa-cruz-0001 16-9.jpg
33s over 45s
toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak »

@chumley
Hmmm... kinda getting a Baja vibe from that Hyundai
baja 4X pics.jpg
AugustWest
City, State: Phoenix

Post by AugustWest »

@chumley
I think I'd rather ride in an overloaded manure spreader than in one of these things.
Wildflower seed in the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again
chumley

Post by chumley »

@toddak yeah that was the BRAT reference ... the Baja's dad.
@AugustWest it's the Cadillac of, something.
33s over 45s
Pivo
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Hiking vehicles- Back country recovery

Post by Pivo »

Very interesting article and video of a recovery team towing a disabled Jeep.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40368/wil ... e-believed
cw50must
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by cw50must »

I watched that recovery the other day, pretty interesting. I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here somewhere about Matt's Offroad recovery.

I would also prefer a baja over that Hyundai.

Return to “Auto, Bike, Boat, Kayak, etc...”