The 2019!! Cyclical totals discussion thread.

Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

The 2019!! Cyclical totals discussion thread.

Post by Jim_H » Mar 24 2009 1:52 pm

How are things progressing this year? In keeping with the idea that you are only as good as the numbers you post, I'm up to 61,436' of elevation for the year and a modest 132 miles.
Last edited by Jim_H on Nov 08 2018 3:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Re: The 2016!! Cyclical totals discussion thread.

Post by Jim_H » Jan 01 2017 10:35 am

It's raining, and I feel like musing.

With 2016 over, are those who track their stats happy with the totals? I'm happy with where I ended up for AEG, but sort of thought I would get more miles. I suppose miles are actually harder for me to get, as that tends to require more time, either for the hiking itself, or for the drive to hike something interesting I want to hike which is longer.

I thought it was interesting that in 2016 I was less than 500' from my AEG total in 2008, but now I was down at #14, whereas in 2008 I was #1 with only 246,000'. Being as the annual analysis only displays the last 10 years of totals, this appears to be the last year where I will be able to enjoy looking at myself at spot #1, for AEG.

I know plenty of hikers back in 2007 and 2008 did laps on their local hikes, but it seemed that before 2008 no one logged them all. Once those who did laps and training repeats started to log their trips, the stats really increased. I routinely see at least one HAZ member who formerly logged hikes and had several years over 500,000' of AEG, but no longer does, and I wonder if there is a growing resentment towards such thing. Another either stopped logging, or hiking. His posts as a dog makes me think hiking stopped.

Either way, my only real disappointment for last year was that I was unable to travel in November and get in some more interesting hiking, not that my month's stats were the lowest I have had since I started logging everything or that it affected my year. Like I said, I was happy with my hiking in 2016, and that relates more to the hiking, than stats.

Back in 2015 the green workout heart was added to triplog options, and I use that for any hike I consider to be for the excercise or to stay in shape, as in not an event. I played with my profile curve last night and notice I have a fairly consistent amount of AEG from workouts in my months, except in June where I was mostly doing events. In that month, I had a very large drop in workout AEG, but my month overall was pretty good. I wonder, back in 2008, had that feature existed and people used it, would my total be made up more heavily of workout hikes than events, but would others like Joe and the bigger number hikers of that year have had few or no workout hikes? I bet that would be the case.

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jan 01 2017 10:50 am

happy enough with my year
usually shoot for 1200 miles and 250k aeg
if i'm doing any running, my aeg is not going to be as high

there are at least three people who should be ahead of me in mileage, but don't post everything anymore
don't really care where i rank, just what i rack up
like to average five miles and 1k for my hikes - that's a decent workout in my mind

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Jan 01 2017 11:08 am

@trekkin_gecko
The ranks are only interesting to me for AEG, and then only becuase it gives me an idea of what people who log tend to do, assuming a correlation between AEG and going up, vs more level hikes. Still, I don't want my AEG to fall down to 30 or something, as then I would feel like I stopped hiking, which would be more about failing to hike, than loosing some spot on a board. I'm not actually competing with anyone.

Right now, I'm a little more interested how my AEG (because I am a lazy hiker and just have never done many miles) pans out between "workout" and "not workout" (event hikes, for me) hikes. I like to look at the graph on my profile, as it is interesting to see a fairly consistent and sometimes nearly even distribution for much of the year between workout and events. Except when there is a dip in June for workouts, and then a reversal in the last quarter where I barely traveled and workouts made up everything in November, and most everything in December. I started the year with few workouts, as well, but that was because I didn't like Squaw or Camelback for the first 6 months after I moved here.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 01 2017 9:03 pm

I didn't log most of my 2016 hiking yet. Maybe next week.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Jan 04 2017 7:26 am

@big_load
I would like your post, but for some reason that feature is disabled for this thread. I suspect you don't log all your trips right after them, due to being busy. I learned to just write less. I don't see myself ever stopping logging. However, I may increase my frequency of empty logs for workouts, and I generally say much less than I did in past years, for events. Given the tendency for logs and photo likes to be rather cliquish, I toy with the idea of only a few sentences and making all or most of a log private. Mostly to expedite logging. I see no reason to make all log entirely private, as the "x" at upper right solves that problem.

Though it doesn't pertain to stats, I generally don't post many photos now, either. Ironic, as I got a new camera. For some hikes, like Flatiron and so many other extremely popular one, more pictures are not what is needed.

xthine
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Post by xthine » Jan 05 2017 1:37 pm

That's pretty nice how you can sort out hiking miles and workout miles.

Hiking stats:

2015 = 60 miles = 5783 AEG

2016 = 561 miles = 82, 961 AEG

2016 shows a steady increase in hiking mileage leading up to June and then started decreasing (around the time I started trail running). I would say overall not too bad for a weekend (and holiday) hiker. :)

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: The 2017!! Cyclical totals discussion thread.

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 09 2017 7:22 am

Hey! What's this?
Since when are we competing against animals? :pout:

For 2017 I'm off with my best hiking start in years and when I viewed the stats I find there's a dog on my tail! :oops:
And I don't even own a dog! :doh:
CannondaleKid

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 09 2017 12:56 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:Hey! What's this?
Since when are we competing against animals
Since when were we competing at all?
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 09 2017 1:27 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:Since when were we competing at all?
^ What he said!
:lol:

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 09 2017 4:34 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:Since when were we competing at all?
Actually I'm not 'competing' against anyone but myself, and only then because I sucked last year due to injuries and I feel better so want to do better this year.

Whatever... When I glanced at the stats noticed Tugger right on-my-tail I figured I could get a rise out of someone... and I did. Two in fact. :)
CannondaleKid

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 09 2017 4:51 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:I figured I could get a rise out of someone... and I did. Two in fact.
:y: Thanks for joining the team. I need some support. I can't carry all the HAZ water by myself! :)

friendofThundergod
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 09 2017 5:36 pm

@CannondaleKid
Well as long as we are just seeing who we can get a rise out of, just be grateful I don't post my pups' stats, or you would be chasing the tail of a 12 year old dog name Cupcake in the standings :lol:

nikorock28
Thumb Butte Bandito
City, State: Kingman, AZ

Post by nikorock28 » Feb 25 2017 6:25 pm

I had my first 100,000' year in 2016 since 2013, so I am pleased with that. Also, my highest fpm at 366.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Mar 01 2017 7:24 am

@nikorock28
Well, congratulations.

Primarily due to illness over the last 4 weeks, I have had my worst month since I moved to the west or started hiking. I didn't really do much other than the same beater hikes and a couple of Humphrey hikes for the last 2 months before that, either. I don't completely lament this, as it was winter and despite the common belief that the desert is it's nicest in the winter, I feel Spring and March to May is when it is at it's best. Hopefully, I am able to turn things around and take some trips over the next couple of months. I'd still like to visit the Kofa, the Algodones dunes, and so on. Trouble is, I have to let some small toe fractures heal.

nikorock28
Thumb Butte Bandito
City, State: Kingman, AZ

Post by nikorock28 » Mar 01 2017 10:22 pm

@Jim_H
Well, thank you. 100k is about as high as i will ever go these days. I could maybe see a 125k year, but my 194k in 2012 will certainly not be repeated. I just don't hike during the work week and dont want to just hike on my days off.
I wish you well on your healing.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Apr 19 2017 12:51 pm

@nikorock28
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I am just not hiking like I have in the last decade, even in 2012. I'm basically just doing the local training hikes, but not that often. They aren't very big without doing laps. I don't really care, but I am concerned because I want to be in shape to do fun out of town hikes. That is something I am just not doing much of these days. I had short burst last month, but I am not really getting out, again. My stats this year for the first 4 months are way off from other years, even 2012. I'm not going to Tucson, but I got bored with that and the drive was stressful this last time. Really who cares? Except that I miss being out on fun hikes, enjoying myself, and if I get too far gone, even a simple 10 mile, 3300' hike can be hard.

Pivo
Nueva Vidapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo » Apr 20 2017 4:13 pm

@Jim_H
Jim_H wrote: Except that I miss being out on fun hikes, enjoying myself, and if I get too far gone, even a simple 10 mile, 3300' hike can be har
I hike with younger fit people and I always want to be in good enough "Hiking Shape" to do anything on the spur of the moment. That's why I train; just a wee bit less this year.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Apr 23 2017 8:08 am

@Pivo I do those training hikes, too. It is just this year, it seems there have been long periods where that is all I do. I got to the Pinals yesterday, that was good.

xthine
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Post by xthine » May 15 2017 10:16 am

Arrrgh. Last trip log was March 19th.. ](*,)

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » May 15 2017 10:20 am

I hiked less than a mile over the weekend.

Return to “General”