The 2019!! Cyclical totals discussion thread.

Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

The 2019!! Cyclical totals discussion thread.

Post by Jim_H » Mar 24 2009 1:52 pm

How are things progressing this year? In keeping with the idea that you are only as good as the numbers you post, I'm up to 61,436' of elevation for the year and a modest 132 miles.
Added August 2019: Looking back 10 years later, I honestly can't think of anything more offensive or unhealthy to say about one's hiking, than the above statement. Thats was my OP in 2009. Hiking should never just be about the stats recorded.
Last edited by Jim_H on Sep 19 2019 10:37 am, edited 13 times in total.
:o

Jim_H

Re: The 2009 hiking and climbing totals thread.

Post by Jim_H » Jul 09 2009 5:09 pm

Why did we take out climbing? My total elevation for the year is actually over 102,000', but my annual analysis places me around 95,000' since some of my elevation was climbing. Even when I climb, I still hike most of the climb.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 09 2009 5:26 pm

Ah missed that one. It's back, you're updated. thx

Others will be updated when they post or edit a triplog.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jul 09 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jul 11 2009 1:02 pm

Its funny, if you order the yearly results for elevation in a decaying order, the data appears as though it would resemble a classic exponential decay curve. Ordering the miles in the same fashion looks like linear decay.

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 11 2009 2:50 pm

jhodlof wrote:Its funny, if you order the yearly results for elevation in a decaying order, the data appears as though it would resemble a classic exponential decay curve. Ordering the miles in the same fashion looks like linear decay.
You have too much time on your hands.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jul 11 2009 7:37 pm

It was just an observation. ;)

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Jul 12 2009 2:45 pm

Twelve days into what I hope to be a 75,000' month, and I'm two days ahead of schedule, so I guess it is going well. Next month I hope to up the total to a nice round 100,000', but most of the hiking is with a weighted pack/vest, so I'm not sure that total will be hit. If I'm lucky I'll increase my single day elevation record to around 16,000' this month, then over 19,000' next month. It makes me wonder what annual total might really be possible with a very focused dedication. When I lived in Tucson I always wondered about just going out and doing Finger Rock up to Mt. Kimbell each day for a full year... that would possibly approach a theoretical maximum?

It stays interesting....
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Jul 22 2009 10:23 am

My goal is to match or exceed my elevation gain for each month of last year. I've been successful so far!
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

imike

Post by imike » Aug 04 2009 3:58 pm

Well, July was fun with the 75,000' of climbing... I was able to mix in a goodly bit of mountain biking for diversity (...did not count on the stats, but it was just a nice diversion). Only four days into August and I'm ahead of schedule for the 100,000' month, but it is not fun. The slower pace, and possibly the fact that I'm now carrying a weighted pack (starting out at 23#) is making the outings seem a bit too on the dull side. I tend to always think about the next day's effort, so I go easy... and all of the harder, more intense efforts are avoided. The longer hours tend to drag the outing down. It is still great to be out every day enjoying the trails, but I'd rather be going harder and steeper, with more rest days mixed in... and I have to wonder if this month will really be an effective base, or just a waste of time, training wise. Hard call. If I am able to up the single day effort to 20,000' before the end of the month I guess I have to consider that progress... but, this will likely be the last time I clock up a 100,000' month (...assuming I don't switch patterns for more fun).
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 04 2009 4:42 pm

100,000 feet in a month is almost insane. That is a lot of elevation.
Last edited by Jim_H on Aug 05 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imike

Post by imike » Aug 05 2009 5:46 pm

jhodlof wrote:100,000 feet in a month almost insane. That is a lot of elevation.
Well, at least there is that qualifier of "almost"... in fact, standards for activity levels are always going through changes. It looks as if 20,000' to 30,000' per month is a normal high range for the hikers posting on this site... and that level of elevation gain over the course of a month is a goodly amount, but there are so many variables that factor into those figures, and the greatest would likely be motivation. Most people hike for pure pleasure. I love hiking and the outdoors, but I had gotten really out of shape and in the process of restoring some of my conditioning I became interested in seeing just what level of athleticism I might be able to still score at age 60... and to answer that question requires a graduated stressing of my body... leading up to and through this longer demanding month. In all honesty, I think we more motivation it would not be unreasonable to put in a 150,000' month... and possibly even more. Once the higher level of conditioning is achieved the day's accomplishments can become ever more substantial.

I am looking to get to the end of this training series, just a few months left... but, i can still see rounding out a year round program that includes biking, running and hiking wherein the hiking still averages over 300,000' per year... softly spread out over the 12 months.

it stays interesting...

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 23 2009 9:59 am

How come the elevation in my "Annual Triplog Analysis" seems to change when I view it at different times, and it doesn't match my personal history? It shows 137,140' while my history shows 152,591'. Sometimes the analysis goes up, then down, but the history is always constant.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 23 2009 1:50 pm

I found a glitch on adding in "Climb" figures. It only computed on Editing and Deleting. It should now work on Posting too.

I'd venture to guess the fluctuation was when you'd post a new triplog it would bring your totals down. Then when you updated or edited a triplog the numbers would rise.

Thanks for the heads up. When you "Post" your next triplog we'll know if I got it. If not, note to myself "transfer" so I don't have to dig through another hours worth of code.

------------------------------------

Where are you at imike? Eight days left in August.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

imike

Post by imike » Aug 23 2009 5:18 pm

------------------------------------

Where are you at imike? Eight days left in August.[/quote]

Oh, I'm just barely on schedule with the 3,300' per day average.... had hoped to pull ahead this morning but some bit of intestinal problems clipped my hike short, in fact I'm heading out the door for another hit, just to stay on track. I'd hoped to do 8,000' today. I'm around 77,000' for the month, so 8 days is enough. I may go out Wednesday and see if I can do a 16,000'+ day just to get this month moved along. It has been interesting. Looking forward to next month with all those nice days off!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 23 2009 6:54 pm

It looks like it works. Thanks

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 25 2009 8:43 pm

In response to imike:
I went for a mini-imike (August is a lil warm here in the desert) this month and just hit 50k today (50,118 ft). 5k is pretty much my daily limit in 100+ heat. In which I feel pretty crappy the next day, 3k seems to be the ticket for me. Keep me posted if you think you'll break 120k.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

imike

Post by imike » Aug 26 2009 3:28 pm

joe bartels wrote:In response to imike:
I went for a mini-imike (August is a lil warm here in the desert) this month and just hit 50k today (50,118 ft). 5k is pretty much my daily limit in 100+ heat. In which I feel pretty crappy the next day, 3k seems to be the ticket for me. Keep me posted if you think you'll break 120k.
...that's impressive in the heat! I have it so easy... my hikes start out in the low 50's or high 40's and then it usually barely hits 70 degrees before I finish....

I am hiking in 60 degree temps today, and cut the hike short at just under 12,000'... knowing it was enough to move me over 90,000' for the month... and close enough so that topping out the 100,000' this month will fit within all the other stuff I need to get done before I head over to Mt. Whitney.

I'm curious... when I look at ya'lls prior year totals it appears that everyone is on steroids this year... my totals are a first year event and reflect a special set of circumstances, but what explains the highly increased totals for the top 10 or 15 hikers?

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 26 2009 4:07 pm

The site continues to gain daily member usage. Spring '08 all the posting pages were revamped too. For Triplogs specifically I believe the biggest success has been the addition of the "Delayed" posting and awareness of the "Hidden" posting. These were intended for new members that would flood the home page. However combined with the "Analysis" page those functions gained considerable popularity too.

I believe a couple are working towards the January marathon too. The personal "Calendar" & "History" pages make it easy to track. The History page in particular is about 3 times faster than a couple years ago due to the i7 processor. I have ideas to really speed it up but the todo list is never ending. The Triplog page is about twice as fast and is definitely getting easier to use each year.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 26 2009 4:07 pm

imike wrote: ... I need to get done before I head over to Mt. Whitney.

I'm curious... when I look at ya'lls prior year totals it appears that everyone is on steroids this year... my totals are a first year event and reflect a special set of circumstances, but what explains the highly increased totals for the top 10 or 15 hikers?

Doing Whitney? Which route? Don't forget to "acclimate" on the Meysan lake Trail. ;)

Steroids? I'll say. Last year, I was the only person to surpass 200,000'. This year, there are already 3 over it, and there is a strong chance everyone in the top 5 will be over 200,000'. I'm currently at 158,000', so with 10,000' per month required to get over 200,000' I hope to do that again.

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Aug 26 2009 9:33 pm

jhodlof wrote:I'm currently at 158,000', so with 10,000' per month required to get over 200,000' I hope to do that again.
No doubt you'll make it
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Return to “General”