Yellowstone National Park Recommendations?

Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Vashti
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Yellowstone National Park Recommendations?

Post by Vashti »

Hello,

I am interested in any advice as to best time of year, routes, hikes, places to stay, etc. that anyone has to offer regarding Yellowstone national park. We are planning on going (with our two kids, I should mention, so sadly there will be no backpacking most likely, but we are planning to hike a lot!) next summer.

Any information is much appreciated! :) Thanks!
:D
PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Re: Yellowstone National Park Recommendations?

Post by PaleoRob »

Any hike around geysers, stink pots, hot springs, etc. are very nice. Need to be careful with kids around the hot water - need to stay on the trail. Last time I was there was several years ago, but there are several nice trails with less than thousands of people on them if you aren't just hanging around Old Faithful.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon
Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Post by Crocodile Ryan »

The Shoshone geyser basin is fairly accessible, I know there is a shorter trail to it that isn’t used as much, I’ve only gone the whole way around the lake though so I dunno how the trail is. But the geysers are very cool, and regularly erupt ~10ft high and there are plenty of hot springs around it
An adventure is merely an inconvience rightly considered
Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows »

Summer is usually a really busy time there. My only suggestion would be to try to go as early as you can stand the ambient temp, the air is crip and clear and it makes the experience even more magical - plus, it cuts the crowds down. Have fun and take a lot of pics so that we may live vicariously!! :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob »

Plus cooler air = better steam plumes off of the hot springs!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon
Vashti

Post by Vashti »

Thanks, everyone! :) I love to hear ideas from anyone who has been there. I can research and read, but there is nothing like experience! I can't wait to make it out there!!
Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper »

Vashti wrote:I can research and read, but there is nothing like experience!
Here is your ticket to the very latest HAZ experience in Yellowstone NP:
http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtop ... 589#p43589
(HAZ- pickelltree is now 10/10-17 in Yellowstone backpacking and day hiking. Be on the HAZ home page watch for his pic sets and hopefully trip logs sometime probably after 10/17). :)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")
Vaporman
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman »

My recommendation is to continue north and hit Glacier instead. :sl:
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p
Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows »

Vaporman wrote:My recommendation is to continue north and hit Glacier instead. :sl:
x2...Glacier is amazing.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
no avatar
Itsalldownhill
City, State: Glendale,AZ

Post by Itsalldownhill »

June is a great month to go, most of the snow will be gone, but I have seen it snow on 4th of July. There are plenty of campgrounds, hotels and tent cabins, be sure to make reservations.

If you are planning to drive, there will be plenty of places on the way to tempt you. Once in Yellowstone there are no bad places to explore. You won't have enough time to see it all and you will probably be planning the next trip before you get home.

Be sure to pack plenty of insect repellant. A membership to AAA will help in route planning as well as places to stay.
Vashti

Post by Vashti »

I was thinking of going in June, but now a friend who lived in Montana most of his life said August is the best time...??? :P I thought August was mosquito month, along with being busiest together with July?? Ug.

We are driving, and I plan on making reservations as soon as I can get a rough idea of how much time we might spend at each place within Yellowstone, and roughly what we might do each day (necessary to plan this way with the Kiddos). Hoping to make reservations soon! :)

And the 100% DEET will be in the bag, for certain! :)
no avatar
Piggypossum
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Piggypossum »

You should consider taking the Beartooth Scenic Hiway between the NE park entrance at Cooke City and Red Lodge MT about 60 miles / 3 hours east of the park. It's one of the most beautiful drives in the US and there are many great day hikes along this route that wind thru the alpine country above 10,000 ft. If you venture into this higher country, mid-July thru late August is the best time, although crowded up til Labor Day. There are lots of great day hikes near Red Lodge ,,,, yes, that's where I spend my summers, fishing, hiking, and playing golf.

Return to “General”