Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Dano
City, State: Vancouver, WA

Help Needed with Oregon/Washington Equivalent to HikeArizona

Post by Dano » Feb 14 2010 2:22 pm

Hello everyone. I have benefited from this great site for several years--it has been the BEST resource for hiking in Arizona.

I am moving to the Portland, Oregon area, and I'd love to find an equivalent to Hikearizona. An internet search led to these choices:

1) Pay for a site--AmericanTrails.org is $50 per year, and Trails.com is $75 per year.
2) Find a new site--so far, the closest thing I've found is trailsNW.com.
3) Continue to use hikearizona

Has anyone used a pay site like the two listed above, and if so, are they worth it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan.

johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Re: Help Needed with Oregon/Washington Equivalent to HikeArizona

Post by johnlp » Feb 14 2010 2:27 pm

Try localhikes.com. Nothing like HAZ, but it's a start. :)
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 14 2010 3:34 pm

Try nwhikers.net. It's not HAZ, but it's better than nothing.

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 14 2010 6:19 pm

Keep using HAZ. Buy a guidebook when you get up there. Talk to people that hike up there. Post the hikes you find here so that we can all enjoy your hikes vicariously, and you'll also be helping anyone else from AZ who ends up visiting or moving up there. Especially since I get up there occasionally since I have relatives up there...
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Feb 14 2010 6:59 pm

February 2010 HAZ Member of the Month PageRob seems to be talking the most common sense!

I tried trails.crap to see what $50(this was a few years ago) got you. Basically they have some sort of agreement with publishers. Their listings are verbatim from books. I could write a book about what you don't get but let me tell you what you do get when you stop your membership... spam galore

If you're interested in books you can probably find plenty dirt cheap on abebooks.com
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 14 2010 7:26 pm

Member of the Month?!? :sl: More like member that hasn't hiked in a month.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 14 2010 7:34 pm

Whatever sites you pick, be sure to check out the Wallowas.

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Feb 14 2010 7:36 pm

... buy the books... entering the hikes here... build up this format for all the states! It is just the best possible and would be great to have outside of Az...
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Feb 15 2010 9:23 am

Talk to the locals,google stuff,library,and what people said above. Pay sites are "usually" a waste. Here is a link to some free info http://www.oregon.com/hiking with lots of embedded links.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Feb 15 2010 4:52 pm

Make your own version of HAZ for the area :D

Davis2001r6
City, State: Bordeaux, France

Post by Davis2001r6 » Feb 15 2010 8:54 pm

Localhikes has been helpful for me, but nothing like HAZ.

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Feb 15 2010 11:16 pm

That's some beautiful country up there, hope to read about some of your adventures. Good luck!

Oh and you may be able to download route info from everytrail.com and trimbleoutdoors.com.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 16 2010 8:19 am

imike wrote:... buy the books... entering the hikes here... build up this format for all the states! It is just the best possible and would be great to have outside of Az...
HAZ goes Viral?
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

SkyIslandHiker
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Feb 16 2010 8:43 am

Dan,

Don't waste your money on a pay site when there is PortlandHikers.org:
http://www.portlandhikers.org/

Their "Field Guide" is a lot like the TrailDEX:
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Main_Page

PortlandHikers forums are also very active like HAZ.

The most popular books for Oregon/Washington hiking are William Sullivan's 100 Hikes series:
http://web.oregon.com/hiking/sullivan.cfm#books

There are also a whole bunch of hiking clubs/groups in the Portland area. Check out the links from the PortlandHikers home page.

Enjoy the Rose City. You're a lucky man! I always wanted to live there but have had to settle for frequent visits. Infact, I'll be heading up that way at the end of the month.

Bill Bens

TucsonHikers - Southern Arizona's Hiking Network!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TucsonHikers/

sundevilstormin
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by sundevilstormin » Feb 16 2010 1:26 pm

I live in PDX for four years - lots of fishing, camping, ocean, skiing - LOVED IT and would love to go back and live there!

You gotta do Three Sisters wilderness near Bend (Pole Creek to Camp lake) and of course Mt Hood, Mt St. Helens, Adams, Canon Beach etc etc etc

oh, and get some good gore-tex gear, hahahah, your gonna NEED it!

Dano

Post by Dano » Feb 18 2010 5:32 am

Hello all, thank you so much for your help. I'll take a look at those sites tomorrow and let you know what I think.

The theme seems to be that there's nothing quite like hikeaz, and the pay sites aren't worth it.

Thanks for all the specific hiking suggestions as well--this is the biggest reason we are moving--to have a whole bunch of new places to see.

Dano

Post by Dano » Feb 21 2010 7:15 pm

Hello again, all. I went to all of the suggested web sites, and each one offers a little different perspective on the local hikes. Thank you for the suggestions; they are now on my favorites list.

I will stay away from the pay sites, based on your comments, and buy the guidebooks. I plan to join a local hiking club, especially for the more remote or difficult hikes. I have a new co-worker who hikes everywhere up there, and I plan to discuss things with him. And yes, I will definitely need a new hiking wardrobe--the cotton pants just won't cut it.

I love hikearizona so much, that I promise I will post some hikes and trip logs.

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Feb 21 2010 8:53 pm

You will love it up there if you can deal with the rain from Nov.-Feb. When I moved there it rained 93 out of the first 95 days I was there, but was one of the best ski years they had. I lived in Alder Creek about 20 miles from Mt. Hood for 8 years and taught snow safety/ and Mountain travel and rescue for the Mt.Hood Ski Patrol before moving back to Az. The guidebook series 100 hikes is good, but the key is planning hikes for example to waterfalls when there is good flow or hiking in Washington when the huckleberries are ripe. Hikes in Hood River/Columbia during the times of the year when your favorite fruit is in season. Also, you might want to get a guide on plants of the Northwest as there are numerous varieties of berries that are edible to be found along hikes in the area.
You are correct cotton will not work. You might check out Next Adventure when you get to Portland. They carry everything and is my favorite outdoor gear store ever. They also buy and sell used gear and have a pretty good outdoor
community. Anyway, hope that helps. I will look through my Oregon hikes when I get back to Az. and give you a couple suggestions of hikes to try and directions if you like. Then you can post triplogs and pictures so I can vicariously be transported to Oregon. :y:
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Dano

Post by Dano » Feb 23 2010 9:06 pm

Thanks bart! I will definitely take your advice. The great outdoors is the main reason I'm moving up there. And the good season is starting soon!

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Mar 08 2010 1:08 pm

Back in town for a couple of days. The books I would suggest are Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska Pojar and Mackinnon. The Hiking book I would recommend to get a start is Portland Hikes whatever edition mine is 2 by Art Bernstein and Andrew Jackman. It has the best day hikes in Oregon and Washington within 100 miles of Portland. Ramona Falls and Tamanawas falls are both nice destinations and if you hit them during the wet season the falls can be stunning. Coopers Spur is a good hike above the tree line on Mt. Hood and could be done on the same day as Tamanawas if you wanted a good long day of hiking (The turn off for Coopers Spur is only approx. 1-3 miles beyond Tamanawas trailhead parking). Watch the weather and be prepared on Coopers Spur. Pack warm clothes on this one even if you do it in the summer as weather comes in fast. There is little or no cover above the treeline except a stone climbers shelter. It has a fireplace that works I know 'cause I spent a couple hours in it weathering a blizzard on a day that started out as a nice 60 degree day. Anyway, the above mentioned book has all the hikes i've mentioned as well as numerous others broken into coastal hikes, Columbia Gorge, Washington, and Oregon Cascades so it has a nice variety and is a good start. I lived in the Cascades and did most of my hiking in the Mt. Hood area. Good luck hope it helps don't forget to post the pictures.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Return to “General”