Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Batteries

Post by kevinweitzel75 »

I received an email that said if you take a 6volt lantern battery and pop the top, you will find 36 AA batteries inside. Now if you add up the cost considering 36 AA batteries will cost you about $15 or more and a 6volt battery costs $6, you would save some money. Has anybody heard of this? Or has anybody acually tried this? :? I'm not so sure about this.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost
The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Re: Batteries

Post by The_Eagle »

I bought the Sanyo eneloop based on rave recomendations. 4-AA 2,000 mAh NiMH, w/ a charger for about $20.
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Pre ... ikearizona
They will easily last for a full day in my GPS.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry
pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by pencak »

I use the rechargeable batteries and they work great.
I've been testing a solar unit
http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=131668
for multi-day trips with my GPS and it seems to be working.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller
kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 »

pencak wrote:I've been testing a solar unit
That looks pretty cool. How much does it weigh? Never have to worry about bringing extra batteries.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost
PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 »

Pencak:

What brand solar charger are you using? Does it have an internal battery? I made the mistake of trying a "cheap" model. It didn't work with my Motorola phone or iPod... Testimonials readily accepted!!
pencak

Post by pencak »

PLC92084 wrote:Pencak:
What brand solar charger are you using? Does it have an internal battery? I made the mistake of trying a "cheap" model. It didn't work with my Motorola phone or iPod... Testimonials readily accepted!!
It's a large Solio unit. I use the USB female connector on the small cord built into the Solio. The battery holder unit is a small plastic USB (male connector) 2 AA battery charger from Rayovac. The whole thing, with 2 Sony 2000mAH NI-MH AA batteries weighs in at 8.125oz. The Solio unit has an integrated battery so I don't have to have it hooked up. I just have to strap it to the pack and point it at the sun. Depending on the sun, the thing will easily charge the on board battery in a matter of hours. From there, I can change the batteries plugged into the Rayovac USB holder at night. Works like a charm. I have these rechargables in my camera, headlamp and GPS. They last longer than regular batteries. The headlamp runs a long time (probably 3 weeks of nightly use) and the power hog GPS runs for more than one and not quite two days. The camera seems to last forever and I use it constantly for work. I usually, give them a deep cycle charge from 110v outlet unit at home before I leave. For home, I use a Kodak unit for that because it will do 4 batteries at a time and it has a display on the charging status of each battery. 3 hours and it's done. I can also pre-charge the internal battery on the Solio unit with a special adapter cord to connect into a USB. Of course, I have to charge that off of a computer. You can get an adapter made just for the iPod or iPhone for this Solio unit. I like it. It seems to work.

I'll know for sure how good it is for anything longer than a 4 day trip in July, I'm taking this setup on a 9 day trip. This will put it through it's paces. I'm pretty confident it will work well.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller
Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows »

I've been messing with a solar unit, as well. It seems to work okay for topping-up things that had a full charge but are slightly depleted, but it takes forever to charge something that has been almost or completely discharged...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
Thoreau
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Thoreau »

pencak wrote:
PLC92084 wrote:Pencak:
It's a large Solio unit. I use the USB female connector on the small cord built into the Solio. The battery holder unit is a small plastic USB (male connector) 2 AA battery charger from Rayovac. The whole thing, with 2 Sony 2000mAH NI-MH AA batteries weighs in at 8.125oz. The Solio unit has an integrated battery so I don't have to have it hooked up. I just have to strap it to the pack and point it at the sun. Depending on the sun, the thing will easily charge the on board battery in a matter of hours. From there, I can change the batteries plugged into the Rayovac USB holder at night. Works like a charm. I have these rechargables in my camera, headlamp and GPS. They last longer than regular batteries. The headlamp runs a long time (probably 3 weeks of nightly use) and the power hog GPS runs for more than one and not quite two days. The camera seems to last forever and I use it constantly for work. I usually, give them a deep cycle charge from 110v outlet unit at home before I leave. For home, I use a Kodak unit for that because it will do 4 batteries at a time and it has a display on the charging status of each battery. 3 hours and it's done. I can also pre-charge the internal battery on the Solio unit with a special adapter cord to connect into a USB. Of course, I have to charge that off of a computer. You can get an adapter made just for the iPod or iPhone for this Solio unit. I like it. It seems to work.

I'll know for sure how good it is for anything longer than a 4 day trip in July, I'm taking this setup on a 9 day trip. This will put it through it's paces. I'm pretty confident it will work well.
Glad to hear good reports from solar devices in the field. I've been on the fence just because I hadn't heard much good about most of them. I think I may just have to play copycat and give that rig a try as well in the near future.
PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 »

The Solio unit looks pretty robust and not overly heavy. My complaint (with the one's I've tried, anyway...) are with devices that require drivers or proprietary units to charge (like iPods, cell phones, etc.). When plugged into the charger, they just sit there; they don't start charging. Same thing when you plug them into a computer without the proper driver installed. I've left them plugged in for hours and... nothing. If I get a testimonial for a unit that definitely works, I'm on it!! :y:
Thoreau
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Thoreau »

Any idea if that Rayovac USB charger can safely charge Sanyo Eneloops?
pencak

Post by pencak »

A quick note on that battery charger setup with the Solio I have. I didn't work as planned on my 9 day Sierra hike. On the 4th day I could only get a half charge on the two AA batteries. This was insufficient to run the GPS for a full day. I think the glitch is in the Rayovac USB charger. It seems to shut off prematurely. I really wish Solio made a AA charger specifically for their unit. I know that thing charges up completely with relatively little sunlight.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller
Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows »

There was an article on Mother Earth News, or somewhere, about how to make a "universal" charging cradle for most small, roll-out panel packs. It works like a charm. I'll dig the link up or post a PDF, if possible...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Return to “General”