Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: University, AZ

Oh, to Glacier or not?

Post by Jim_H »

In a few days, I am leaving for a trip to Wyoming to go to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. So, my home will be ripe for the plundering and all my precious jewels may be yours for the taking!

My summer trip ideas have taken many forms, from the Sierra Nevada and Death Valley, to the Unitas in Utah to the Great Basin NP in Nevada, to this current concoction. Originally this "trip" was going to be about Glacier, and I just happened to go through Yellowstone and Grand Teton on the drive home. As time went on, I found myself more excited about Wyoming and less willing to make the drive up to the northern border. My plan and desire to go to Glacier was to make a multi-day back country trip in the widespread tundra and "high elevation" areas of the park and enjoy the impressive alpine flowers, soak up some lower 48 glaciers before they melt, and climb a decent peak or two. However, wildlife issues might be troublesome, and Glacier is probably one of, in not thee, wildest location in the lower 48. So, a multi day solo backpacking trip in Glacier started to seem foolish. I don't need to be mauled by a Grizz, or drive an extra day to be mauled by one. I can be mauled by one in Wyoming!!

I'm still on the fence about making the drive up there. I might go if I somehow get bored in Yellowstone, but I don't see that happening. You never know, though. I'm curious, what would other people do if in my situation. I'm not asking you to make up my mind for me, I don't need that, but I'd like to see what others might do. I have 3 more weeks before any obligations, but I don't want to be gone that long.
"Mmmm, Yes I would, Kent". [ youtube video ]
hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Re: Oh, to Glacier or not?

Post by hippiepunkpirate »

Just go and do it while your relatively young and single. I'd go in a heartbeat.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

I'd get some bear spray, but I'd probably go, too.

If you haven't already seen it, today's news on the Yellowstone maulings was interesting:

"State wildlife officials investigating a fatal grizzly bear attack outside Yellowstone National Park are looking into allegations that a photographer might have been baiting wildlife in the area."
http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/24509712/detail.html
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

With the exception of "getting mauled by a grizz" there's nothing you mentioned that doesn't sound awesome to me. And I think you're probably knowledgable enough to avoid that result. Be aware of the scat that smells like pepper spray and has little bells in it. ;-)

And take lots of pictures so we can live vicariously through you!
Championing breakfast since 1994.
Digital_Sherpa
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Digital_Sherpa »

Yellowstone crowds vs. Glacier solitude = no contest.
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

If you have never been there: You'll like the Tetons, but there is a chance you won't think much of Yellowstone, other than the wildlife along the roadsides. I'd go to Glacier. I have been there, and was coming down from British Columbia, so we went there first. I loved it! Then on to Yellowstone, which I didn't like because it is crowded and doesn't have any jagged peaks, and then on to Tetons, which I loved. I was 16 at the time and have never been back.

Idaho is frickin' awesome, you want unreal jagged peaks? The Sawtooths? Holy heck. And not as crowded as the Tetons. It is quite a ways west of Jackson Hole, though, over by Stanley and Ketchum, ID.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
Vaporman
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman »

A few years ago, I did the Tetons-Yellowstone-Glacier loop with my bros and we were bored with Yellowstone by the end of the day after driving around and checking everything out. Mind you, I was with my bros so we did mostly day hiking and didn't get too far into the backcountry. But we absolutely loved the 4 days we spent in Glacier and its still my fav park in the nation so far and I'm actually headed there in a few days with a friend to hammer out some multi-day backpacks. :y:
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p
tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber »

get your can of bear spray (all of the stores seems to carry it in the Park) and be on your merry way to............. GLACIER NATIONAL PARK. I haven't decided which is a little more nerve-wracking, worrying about the bears at GNP or rattlesnakes in the Supes.

We did see 2 bears while we were there but we weren't out hiking. One was off to the side of the road during a rainstorm driving back from Many Glacier and the other was up on a tall bank just off the GTTSR across from a viewpoint along St Mary's Lake. And of course there was the sow and her cubs on the Iceberg Hike we heard about and just missed by about 5-10 minutes and of course, Jack Hannah had his encounter on the Grinnell Trail.

But just be sure to heed the rules about hiking in Bear Country and you should be fine. Ambika and I employed various techniques along the way including talking as we came around blind corners, clanging our trekking poles on the trail and scuffing our feet from time to time.

I LOVE Glacier Park and I am sure you will too! Oh and don't forget that with the north country, the sun doesn't start setting until around 9:30.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

Just keeps reminding me of the punch line to my favorite campfire joke:...In black bear country, the poop is smaller, darker, has seeds in it and smells like berries...but you'll know you're in grizzly country because the poop is larger, lighter in color, has bells in it and smells like pepper spray! :D
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
big_load

Post by big_load »

azbackpackr wrote:Idaho is frickin' awesome, you want unreal jagged peaks? The Sawtooths? Holy heck.
The Sawtooths are great. I spent a week looping through the alpine lakes in 2007. It was enhanced by forest fires blocking the trailheads nearest to Boise, so crowds were reduced. The Frank Church Wilderness is pretty good, too, but I prefer the Sawtooths. It can be hot, though. Highs in Boise were in the mid-100s throughout and coming down to Redfish Lake on the last day, my thermometer maxed out at 111F.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

My brother says they have had a cool summer this year, though. He lives in Challis.
big_load

Post by big_load »

azbackpackr wrote:He lives in Challis
Nice place! I'm not sure I'd like a winter there, but I could probably get used to Boise.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Were it not for the drive, I think I would go to Glacier without question. Anymore, I tend to not like driving by myself for long stretches. Maybe I'll go and do a shorter overnight trip, and skip the peak bagging in Glacier (leave that for Middle Teton). I don't think I would get bored in Yellowstone, but that is because I would do a multi-night pack trip there. I just can't stand doing the tourist thing with a 50 leash between me and my car, so any park will have to have a longer trip involved.
Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Post by Crocodile Ryan »

Ive been in both yellowstone and glacier, and the backcountry in glacier has always seemed far more crowded than in yellowstone

I wouldnt worry too much about bears if you do go to glacier, every camp ive stayed at has had at least 2-4 other groups there as well, the western side is a bit more wild, but not quite as scenic as a lot of it is in bottom country, I highly suggest a multi day trip on the eastern side of the lewis range, and a trip to both 50mountain, goat haunt, and stoney indian, they are all some of the most stunning areas i have ever visited

in yellowstone, the shoshone geyser basin is a cool place to hike thru, just be wary of the hot pools the horse flies are terrible around them
An adventure is merely an inconvience rightly considered
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I don't expect to go to Glacier at all, especially if my plan to climb comes together.
Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Post by Crocodile Ryan »

How often do you make it up to that part of the country?

I try to get up there once a year, and the drive or flight is pretty boring, next summer a couple friends from minneapolis and I are thinking about doing the winds, if your interested there would more than likely be room
An adventure is merely an inconvience rightly considered
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels »

In Yellowstone you might see a bear or Tracy, John and Casslyn too!
- joe
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

Well Tracy is now in the bag, and I'm guessing that John and Casslyn aren't hangin around Jellystone anymore. But having seen their photos, if I was there, I gotta believe my trigger-finger might not be as hesitant as normal.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I'm up in Rock Springs, WY now. This is my first time in western Wyoming since 1984 ( I was in eastern and central in 2008), and my first time back in Wyoming since 2008. Don't know about next summer, I could be living up here, or Tucson, or Colorado Springs, or any number of places I would like to go if I can get job. Next summer is too far off for me to even think about, and it took me months of thinking about different trips before I finally hardened this one up, and that basically happened late last week. As it is now, I'm not going north of Wyoming, so Montana is out. I've been taking my time, and on day 2 I still haven't made it to Jackson. Dinosaur Nation Monument is worth a stop if in the area.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I barely spent any time in Yellowstone, and with the lousy weather I didn't care for it. Somehow, in 1984 and again this year it was wet and miserable while I was there. I don't remember 1984, but I was there then. I never went to Glacier, and if the weather I had while in Yellowstone is any indication, I would not have liked it and would have been cold and wet. Not something I like on trips in August, or ever really. It was really smokey in Idaho from several large fires, so I am skipping Borah Peak and am instead going to go to Bryce, Zion, and Cedar Breaks. I figure I should get a look at Utah's Sedonas before I might be too far away from them to see them. My guess is that there are no vortexes there, since there are no resorts and real estate is not available.

Return to “General”