Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
napalm
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Wilderness First Responder

Post by napalm » Sep 08 2002 2:00 am

Hi all. New to the forum and just had a question about Wilderness First Responder classes. I was considering attending a WFR course and was curious what the curriculum looked like. I'm already an EMT, so I don't want to spend money on a course that will teach me things I already know.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Sep 08 2002 5:45 am

Welcome to HAZ napalm

It's CPR to basic childbirth. I don't think you'd benefit that much but I'm not an EMT so what do I know! It's similar to the FDA course in it's a ton of information packed into a short session. Honestly, I remember little from either other then common sense. But I have my cards so I must know what I'm doing :) I believe the WFR is what's required for NPS employees. If you know nothing I think it's a good course, but I'd question if $100 to $400 is worth it for you. Then again if you like looking at big complicated toxin words and listening to a super hyper instructor it may be for you! The instructors remind me of Chris Farley motivational speakers, except they don't jump on flimsy coffee tables :lol:

Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing, just borderline beneficial for you in my opinion.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Sep 08 2002 6:32 am

I would also agree with Teva, I am also an EMT and reviewed the class schedule and I do not think that I would gain any thing from the class.

napalm
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by napalm » Sep 08 2002 1:17 pm

Good deal, I think I'll just save my money and buy gear instead. :D

I just thought that maybe there was backcountry specific items, or backpacking ninja stuff like how to make aspirin out of white gas and crushed sunflower seeds.

Randy
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

white gas, etc...

Post by Randy » Sep 09 2002 4:01 pm

Nah, it's white gas, Wylers Lemonade mix, a dash of Myers dark rum, and Bacardi 151....The white gas keeps it from getting too sweet. It's gauche without fresh limes, BTW. It's not aspirin, but after about 4 you won't care....(try to fall down off the trail as a courtesy to others)

We don't have them hereabouts, but if you chew birchbark, you can obtain salicylic acid from it, which is the basic of aspirin. Keeps beavers from complaining about their overbite discomfort. You are better off with several levels of analgesia in your medkit, than looking for bark in an emergency.

For severe cases, Vistaril as a narcotic potentiator is recommended by some. -R

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Wilderness First Responder

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 05 2016 10:52 am

Wow, this thread is super old!

Anyway, in December I completed a WFR offered via Wilderness Medical Associates at the Wilderness Leadership Institute in rural San Diego County. I had taken WFR courses 3X before, but this was BY FAR the best. I totally recommend it.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Jan 05 2016 11:38 am

I took it from some SAR guys a few years ago, and it was a real good basic first aid class. If you are an EMT, you are probably good to go. (Though maybe get some perspective on the specific injuries to expect in the wild, might be useful.)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 05 2016 1:02 pm

@kingsnake
WFR not to be confused with Wilderness First Aid. WFA is also a good course, but it's only 2 days as opposed to 5-7 days. WFR is usually a 72-hour course. However, WMA offers a shortened version at 5 days, by sending you the book and materials in advance. You have to take an online test after reading the entire book and going through the study guide, BEFORE the first class. It's rigorous and has many protocols, including administering epinephrine, prednisone and albuterol, reducing dislocations of the shoulder, digits and patella, and a few others. Many simulations, including at night and in the rain, in my course!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jan 06 2016 10:46 am

The medications that you administer, are these medications the injured person has and you are assisting them in taking the medication ?
jk

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Jan 06 2016 11:08 am

Nighthiker wrote:The medications that you administer, are these medications the injured person has and you are assisting them in taking the medication ?
I think the obvious answer is no. If she is able to administer them, it would be because someone, such as a Paramedic, was available and had them, and was able to do so. Whatever their scope happens to be.
Rocks!!

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 06 2016 11:24 am

Do Wilderness First Responders (probably most commonly tied to SAR) carry those Medications into the Field with them normally? That's probably why you would have to be "Certified" I imagine and why it's such a Strict Course....I think WFR's are basically Paramedics but are only more limited to what they can do and carry into Remote Areas? I've only looked into WFA Courses, so I'm not sure how far they go with the "Certification" and what all that allows them to do....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 07 2016 9:19 am

@Nighthiker
@Jim_H
@Outdoor Lover
If you are on a private hike you can administer their meds. If you have organized an expedition, or more importantly, if you are a paid guide, such as a Grand Canyon guide, you are authorized to have a prescription for those meds to carry with you in your kit. You can carry and administer epinephrine, prednisone and albuterol. There are several other protocols, including cessation of CPR after 30 minutes, wound care, removal of impaled objects, spinal assessment and stabilization (or not), reduction of joint dislocations, and treatment of severe asthma.

Return to “General”