Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

If you like the national parks...

Post by Jeffshadows » Apr 06 2011 7:40 am

...You may want to get out and hike there before Friday due to the imbicillic nature of those we have sent to Washington. Saguaro is poised to lock its gates and send law enforcement to the other trail heads to keep people out during the shutdown. What a shame.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Re: If you like the national parks...

Post by rally_toad » Apr 08 2011 8:17 am

azbackpackr wrote:The law enforcement rangers left behind to guard the parks after all "non-essential" personnel are sent home will be making mega overtime.
[-X

Not true. Many workers will continue to work for free, they don't know how long this shutdown will last and if they will ever get paid for that time.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 08 2011 10:36 am

I will ask my friend again about that. He definitely could have been wrong, but he said his supervisor, a Law Enforcement Ranger for Grand Canyon, will be paid overtime.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Post by rally_toad » Apr 08 2011 11:48 am

They're only paid overtime if they actually work overtime. Now you may be right about them working overtime for a few days to try and close the park down, since it does take alot of work to close down a park, especially one like Grand Canyon where there are thousands of visitors there at one time.

But from my experience theres going to be a whole lot of "non-essential" personnel who are going to continue to work even though they may or may not get paid for it, I know my friend will not be able to leave the canyon in the event of a shutdown, and will help LE's close the park even though he is "non-essential".

I just do not like people perpetuating myths like public servants are leeching off the system or that they're lazy, or that they get overtime pay for working regular hours, or that they make outrageous wages, when it just isn't true. Most public servants are doing what they do because they love it or they want to make a real difference, the NPS is a great example, as are teachers, as are most public servants. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but I hate when people make generalizations and attack hard working people. I haven't met a frontline ranger yet who doesn't give 110% and care deeply about what they are doing. If they went in to the NPS for the money they made a wrong choice.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 08 2011 2:16 pm

rally_toad wrote:. . . I just do not like people perpetuating myths like public servants are leeching off the system or that they're lazy, or that they get overtime pay for working regular hours, or that they make outrageous wages, when it just isn't true. Most public servants are doing what they do because they love it or they want to make a real difference, the NPS is a great example, as are teachers, as are most public servants. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but I hate when people make generalizations and attack hard working people. I haven't met a frontline ranger yet who doesn't give 110% and care deeply about what they are doing. If they went in to the NPS for the money they made a wrong choice.
Amen!
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 08 2011 4:09 pm

Well, I actually didn't mean it that way. My friend wants to stay behind and help his supervisor, but higher-ups said no, he has to leave on Sat. He said his supervisor is going to be working very hard and will probably have to do everything by himself, he's been told will be no one at that particular location to help him.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 12 2011 12:55 pm

maxpower

Post by maxpower » Apr 12 2011 4:32 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Image
LOL....well they had sufficient funds to make signs anyway! :sl:

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 12 2011 7:58 pm

Exactly what I was thinking!

Let's hope they never have to use them.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Apr 12 2011 8:09 pm

Unfortunately, a lot of hard-working folks had to put in extra time preparing for something that should have been taken care of sooner.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 12 2011 8:26 pm

Yes, they were really stressed and worried. It wasn't fair to them.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 12 2011 9:01 pm

And last time I checked, they still have to keep the sign at hand since the "deal" struck last week was a temporary 1-week extension. And now the extremes on both sides are balking at supporting their leadership, which might end up in the closure again! Doh!
Profound observer

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 12 2011 9:10 pm

To quote Charlie Brown: Aaaaaargh!

Thoreau
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Thoreau » Apr 13 2011 10:52 am

chumley wrote:And last time I checked, they still have to keep the sign at hand since the "deal" struck last week was a temporary 1-week extension. And now the extremes on both sides are balking at supporting their leadership, which might end up in the closure again! Doh!
God I hope so... I've already decided that every jack*** that voted in favor of the current extension is losing my vote when their terms are up. NEITHER side is even CLOSE to supporting the level of cuts needed to pull us from bankruptcy. That said, neither side ever WILL have the balls to go as far as is needed at this point...

Return to “General”