Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Ooops - base jumper snags in Supes

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Feb 29 2012 8:57 pm

In case anybody was wondering about the excitement in the Supes tonight - looks like a base jumper miscalculated. http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_so ... -mountains
I will refrain from any disreprectfulness so Joe doesn't spank me again. Enough said. But this stupidity deserves it.
According to spokesman Elias Johnson, a 30-year-old Casa Grande man leaped off the face of the mountain, but after he deployed his parachute, it got caught on the side of the cliff.
The man is wedged in a crevasse 150 feet up from the bottom of the mountain.
Air15 video showed the man huddled in his parachute on a narrow ledge.
Casa Grande man? Rob is this a neighbor of yours?
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Ooops - base jumper snags in Supes

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 02 2012 7:45 am

azbackpackr wrote:Does the phrase "bucket list" predate the movie?
I wouldn't give that much credit to screenplay writers, but no matter, it most definitely did predate it. I had heard the term on numerous occasions as far back as the 1960's and each time it was spoken in reference to kicking the bucket which from my understanding dates back over 300 years.
CannondaleKid

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 02 2012 8:42 am

CannondaleKid wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:Does the phrase "bucket list" predate the movie?
I wouldn't give that much credit to screenplay writers, but no matter, it most definitely did predate it. I had heard the term on numerous occasions as far back as the 1960's and each time it was spoken in reference to kicking the bucket which from my understanding dates back over 300 years.
:D The movie was silly, but fun. Obviously the term has gained a lot of popularity since its release.

As for SAR members getting hurt...... Are you kidding? Volunteer SAR team members LIVE for call-outs! :) A call-out as wacky as this one would be exciting, and talked about for years. If I were on the call-out list, and couldn't go, I would have thought I had really missed out!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Mar 03 2012 10:30 am

First off, there is nothing illegal about jumping there. BASE falls in a "grey" area there. Parachutes are not motorized. The rangers actually come and watch us jump there. He didnt pack it backwards, he had an off heading opening, a phenomena where the canopy happens to get pulled out and turned backwards. Sometimes you can turn it around in time, sometimes you cant. Then you get to kiss the wall. Sometimes you die, sometimes you dont. There had been 3 now major rescues there, this one being the easiest. The other 2 not so good.

There has yet to be a fatality at "Super Chicken" as the exit has been fondly named. It gets jumped multiple times every weekend, and a few times per week. Has been for 20 years.

In fact, wingsuits are going off it now, and getting 12 second delays.

There has been around 7 or so base related rescues and fatalities in Az since the early 1980's. Thousands of jumps are made every year here.

How many people get rescued from Camelback hiking every year?
And they were just walking. :o
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

base871

Post by base871 » Mar 03 2012 10:34 am

Oh an I have many successful jumps off it.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Mar 03 2012 11:33 am

base871 wrote:Parachutes are not motorized.
Just as a point of clarification, wilderness areas prohibit mechanized travel, not motorized. Bicycles are not motorized, however they are prohibited due to being mechanized.

One could argue the mechanics of a parachute. But so could one argue the mechanics of a backpack or camping stove. But those don't actually aid in the actual act of traveling. Then again, neither does a chainsaw, but those are prohibited too.

Seems like there's plenty of grey area to work with!
Profound observer

base871

Post by base871 » Mar 03 2012 11:47 am

When it comes to Wilderness Areas, there is plenty in the rules that require interpretation. In the end, its all up to the Ranger interpreting the laws. But we have never had a problem anywhere. The one time it did it was immediately thrown out of court. Cant enforce a law that is not a letter!

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 03 2012 1:04 pm

It doesn't really matter what kind of sport you are involved in and where you are doing it. Sooner or later, someone that participates in your sport is going be injured, killed, or just plain old rescued....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

base871

Post by base871 » Mar 03 2012 1:23 pm

Exactly. And there are alot more dangerous things to do. Driving to work, eating fried food, consuming alcohol or drugs.

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Mar 03 2012 1:58 pm

For the record... I think base jumping looks awesome :) I wish I had the guts to do it.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Mar 03 2012 2:03 pm

saw three guys getting ready to launch off national around noon today
on the way out of the park, one guy was parachuting down kinda by ranger trail
looked pretty cool
would have loved to see them take off

base871

Post by base871 » Mar 03 2012 2:47 pm

That would be paragliding. Different sport!!!!!

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Mar 03 2012 2:50 pm

@base871
got it
what do i know?
thanks for your post regarding the incident
nice to have some accurate information

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Mar 03 2012 4:46 pm

I guess I should eat a piece of humble pie for some of the remarks that I made and my apologies are extended to the individual who was the unfortunately one who smacked the face of the mountain. However, I don't necessarily agree with some of the analogies that you presented in your arguments.

BASE jumping is considered an "Extreme Sport" and should in no way be considered the same as "driving to work", "eating fried food", etc. The numbers don't support the argument as the tens of thousands of motorists on the highway VS the number of incidents requiring "rescue services" don't compare. The many thousands of hikers on Camelback VS the number of rescues???? It still comes down to numbers, The higher the risk, the more potential for injury and death.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

Return to “General”