Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

R.I.P. Harold Fish

Post by Alston_Neal » Sep 17 2012 11:02 am

It was with great sadness that my wife and I saw his obit in the Sunday paper. Never in my life has one person who I've never met had such an impact on my life.
Many times thru the years I've thought of Mr. Fish and that tragic day many years ago. I could never imagine what I would do in a situation like his. But the outcome of his actions have taught me that by drawing a weapon in self defense, is not always a clear cut case.
I think of him everytime I make the choice of either wearing my pistol or just leaving it in the pack.

Years ago we had a collie that looked like Lassie and "almost" everyone loved him. There were a couple of times someone freaked at just the sight of him on a trail. So since the Fish encounter happened, I always have a leash ready to go in the event I see other hikers. I don't know what their reaction would be, so it's best to be safe with her leashed.

Strangely enough last Sunday the 9th while driving back from a Payson hike, I again thought of him.
How was he doing? Enjoying life that he lost in prison? Hiking those lost years away?

He had passed on Saturday the 8th.
I will still always think of you Mr. Fish and the things you taught me.
Peace be with you.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Re: R.I.P. Harold Fish

Post by cactuscat » Sep 17 2012 1:58 pm

I followed his story as well ... sorry to hear this.
Where is the "dislike" button?

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 18 2012 7:31 pm

Wow, time sure does move along.

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Sep 22 2012 7:55 pm

The situation he was in is still being used in concealed weapons classes to this day. Sad to hear. He did everything right and still got hosed by an uneducated jury. RIP
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

Return to “General”