Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
RickVincent
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Recreational Access Map by AZ Game & Fish

Post by RickVincent » Nov 15 2012 9:56 am

I heard about this website and immediately added it to my bookmarks toolbar for instant access. The site is http://www.azaccessmap.com. If you are like me, and prefer to get off the beaten path, but also want to be aware of land restrictions (what is private, what is public), then you will find this map very informative. Also includes, topographic detail of the entire state. Cool resource.
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Recreational Access Map by AZ Game & Fish

Post by rwstorm » Nov 15 2012 10:07 am

Very 8) ! Thanks for sharing.
Onward into oblivion!

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Nov 15 2012 10:13 am

Wow great find....thanks!
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher » Nov 15 2012 10:41 am

The map is from the 70's or early 80's. I-10 stops at the town of Avondale. I wonder how accurate and current the land use shaded areas are. I wouldn't count on this too much to keep you out of trouble with any authorities or land owners. :M2C:
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Nov 15 2012 10:53 am

Ah that's no big deal, I filled in I-10 on my screen with a felt pen.... ;)

Our humble abode..

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Nov 15 2012 10:56 am

Good idea Alston, I'm on it! Issue resolved. ;)
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Nov 15 2012 1:42 pm

Hmmm I'm confused.
The layers work, so ok it's a good link.
Just need to play with it.

Our humble abode..

RickVincent

Post by RickVincent » Nov 15 2012 3:27 pm

I've noticed variant map data depending on the layer you click (i.e. US Topo, Topo, Streets, Imagery). The Topo and Streets layers appears to be mostly up-to-date. You are correct that the US Topo layer is "way outdated", more like 30 years. What matters most is the accuracy of the land ownership and access rights layer. Of course, the start-up page makes you accept a "use disclaimer" releasing AZ Game and Fish from any legal responsibility for the use of its site. I guess that's their way of saying, "Not our problem if you end up in jail or with buckshot in your rear-end."
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Nov 15 2012 4:23 pm

Alston Neal wrote:I filled in I-10 on my screen with a felt pen...
Isn't that the same thing AZDOT does :sl:
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 15 2012 6:53 pm

In general I agree it is a great resource, but after zooming in on a few areas where I have been and/or have spoken with land owners I found enough discrepancies that I'll still seek corroboration before relying on it.

I have a link somewhere for a place selling land-ownership maps that includes owners of individual plots, not just a big white block called 'private land.' Supposedly the maps are current according to county plat maps from the previous year. The only reason I didn't buy it right away was the cost, seems to me it was something over $100 per state. But now that I've been four-wheeling into ore remote locations I just might break the piggy bank for it.
CannondaleKid

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Nov 16 2012 11:15 am

@CannondaleKid
I'd be interested in that when you find it, Mark... There's a couple of areas down around Tucson I'm curious about...

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Nov 16 2012 6:01 pm

I find going to the unit description is fairly accurate although recent changes take a while to show up. For example, unit 32, contains my fav the Galiuros and I am always checking it before trips---http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units_32.shtml

In the past it's noted if the Power's Hill access is closed, still notes you get to pay to cross Carlink ranch, etc. However, access to other stuff such as the YLE tank on that ranch doesn't get posted a lot of times, you have to know the rancher or SAHC usually knows as they sometimes go up on Grassy Peak from that side. It's nice as usually ranches are named and then if you are out there and talk to the rancher sometimes access can be arranged.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 16 2012 9:51 pm

PLC92084 wrote:I'd be interested in that when you find it, Mark... There's a couple of areas down around Tucson I'm curious about...
Found it... PM sent.
CannondaleKid

Oregon_Hiker

Post by Oregon_Hiker » Nov 18 2012 9:21 am

I just checked out the AZAcess map for an area I'm familiar with, Spur Cross Ranch County Park, and it still shows this area as private property even though this park has been around since 2004. It shows an area east of Spur Cross park as state trust land - I'd like to know if this is still valid as it's an area I would like to explore. The ranger at Spur Cross warned me not to wander in that direction because there is a landowner east of Spur Cross who can be quite inhospitable to trespassers.

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Nov 18 2012 9:28 am

@Oregon Hiker
I don't know if you've seen this yet but it is a pretty good reference page for STL areas. It helps keep me out of trouble.http://www.land.state.az.us/alris/trans ... elcome.htm
Anthony Bourdain

Return to “General”