Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
ellehcim
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

My feet hurt....

Post by ellehcim » Dec 03 2002 6:05 am

During long hikes (8+miles) my feet start to feel bruised and it can take up to 3 days before the muscles in my feet are not sore.

Is this normal or do I need to look for hiking boots with some more arch support?

Wiz
Gun-totin' kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Wiz » Dec 03 2002 6:26 am

You might need orthotics in your boots. I had the same problem. I went to a podiatrist and got some orthotics, and it's been a lot better since then. Kind of pricey, but cheap compared to new feet.
Also, of course, get the best boots you can afford. Personally I prefer Danner boots.
"The older I get, the better I was."

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Dec 03 2002 7:35 am

How often do you go hiking & what percentage of those are 8 miles or more?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

snow22_5150
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by snow22_5150 » Dec 03 2002 8:43 am

I had the same problem, I figured they were my shoes. Every hiking boot I have tried screwed my feet up (bad bruising, could hardly walk) and gave me blisters. I switched to hiking in my running shoes, guess what, no more foot problems.
Kristyn

"The best education is to be perpetually thrilled by life."

desertgirl
Bika pelli
City, State: Chandler, AZ

My feet hurt....

Post by desertgirl » Dec 03 2002 9:09 am

If you hiking boots are new -- it may take a while before they break in and get comfortable. Also, you could benefit by studying your trail and picking your footwear. I usually go with trail running shoes especially if I have a good idea on the trail conditions. They are lighter than hiking boots and more flexible and are a lot easier on my feet.

If trail conditions are hard/rocky/uneven etc or if you are carrying heavy loads, hiking boots workout quite well - make sure they are broken in before your longer hikes

olesma
Grand Canyon Warbler

Re: My feet hurt....

Post by olesma » Dec 03 2002 9:39 am

ellehcim wrote:During long hikes (8+miles) my feet start to feel bruised and it can take up to 3 days before the muscles in my feet are not sore.

Is this normal or do I need to look for hiking boots with some more arch support?
No telling really what the problem is. Could be any number of things - as can be seen by the different posts already given. My suggestion? Try all of them. What works for one person doesn't always work for another. Could be shoes, or orthodics, or it could also be the way you hike. Could be that your feet naturally bruise easy.

Keep trying different things until the problem is solved. Heck it may even be a combination of all of the above. Don't let it get you down though - keep hiking. It's worth a couple of days of pain.
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein

ellehcim
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by ellehcim » Dec 03 2002 2:40 pm

teva wrote:How often do you go hiking & what percentage of those are 8 miles or more?
I got here on October 30th of this year. I hike every 2-3 days... The last few are as such...

11/20 Peralta Trail both ways ~ 12.6 miles
11/23 Kiwanis/Ranger/& parts of National & Los Lomitas Loop ~3 miles
11/24 Dreamy Draw Park East from the trailhead to Tatum Blvd and back over 3 hours, unknown distance.
11/29 Tonto National Forest, Crosscut Trail from the trailhead almost to MacDonald & Back ~ 11 miles
11/30 Dreamy Draw Park West from the trailhead to 7th St and back. ~3 3/4 hours.

I am wearing a pair of vasque brand hightop hiking boots bought at REI about 6 years ago. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever had, which is not saying much because they are the first. I am wondering if they are starting to wear out because when I tie them tight I can feel the laces biting into my ankles where they are tied around the tops.

I dont wear shoes unless I have to, and then tongs unless I need to do something that requires foot protection.

So, I dont know wether it is my untrained foot muscles, bad footwear or just a symptom of the sport ;]

CindyC
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by CindyC » Dec 03 2002 4:56 pm

My feet always felt fatigued and strained no matter what boot/shoe I wore until I started wearing my Teva's only on any trail. When the weather is too cold for those I wear my Lowa Renagades. My feet haven't been happier since. :)
'Achievement lies within the reach of those who reach beyond themselves'

pixelfrog
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by pixelfrog » Dec 03 2002 5:12 pm

You may have Planters Fasciitis, a common foot ailment. I have it, and it is no fun. Extremely painful and persistant, I think it takes up to like 6 months to get rid of. Check out this link for more info.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/findinformati ... C5C5281B38

Paul

ellehcim
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by ellehcim » Dec 03 2002 5:23 pm

pixelfrog wrote:You may have Planters Fasciitis, a common foot ailment. I have it, and it is no fun. Extremely painful and persistant, I think it takes up to like 6 months to get rid of. Check out this link for more info.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/findinformati ... C5C5281B38

Paul
My feet usually only feel bruised when getting 6+ miles into the hike. And it affects the footpads and heel equally. The next days my feet muscles are sore in the morning until I walk around for a while.

Not being really familiar with hiking long trails, I would rather know if my feet are going to hurt normally or if I should look into spending some money on orthopedics, better shoes or such ;]

azhiker96
No Trace Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Dec 03 2002 7:54 pm

Mike, here's my answer to your question. I routinely do lengthy hikes and my feet do not hurt during or after the hike. ( Hikes range from 10 to 20 miles. )

A good first step would be to get a new pair of hiking shoes. Make sure they are comfortable and break them in well before hitting the trail. ( I wear mine to work for a couple of weeks to break them in. ) Your old boots are probably ready for retirement and manufacturers have made good strides in the last few years on comfort and support. I tend to wear off the tread on my boots in about a years time so I get a new pair yearly. I usually wear trail runners but have a pair of Teva's that have served me well on hikes including the Peralta trail loop.

If this doesn't take care of the pain, find a podiatrist who deals with runners. Good luck! 8)

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Dec 03 2002 8:04 pm

Amen to what AZHiker said. Boots/shoes are the critical component in my opinion. I use those green inserts, and find they are worth the $$. When I started hiking my feet would be sore and swollen even for a few days after hiking, but the problem went away as I got more conditioned. Now a 15-20 miler does not bother my feet, knees are another story. You have to find the shoe that works, I use Raichle Mountaineers, bought a $200 pair of Danners that felt good in the store, but brutallized my ankles on the way in to Reavis. My son likes them now, and I have two more pair of Raichle's.

Keep looking, and conditioning, you'll find what works. I recently found a pair of Fox River Packing Sox, they are a nice addition also. I wear a liner, with those big thick sox over them, very nice.

ck_1
The OUTSIDE guy

Post by ck_1 » Dec 03 2002 9:43 pm

It seems like such a simple idea...needing new shoes/boots...but it is often easily overlooked...I started have foot pain and didn't even consider that it had been about a year on my Lowa's...after checking on a new SuperFeet insert, I happened to look at the sole of the shoe, and well...all worn...time for new shoes too...as soon as they were replaced, the pain went away...
'The Journey is the Destination!'

ellehcim
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by ellehcim » Dec 03 2002 10:28 pm

azhiker96 wrote:Mike, here's my answer to your question. I routinely do lengthy hikes and my feet do not hurt during or after the hike. ( Hikes range from 10 to 20 miles. )

A good first step would be to get a new pair of hiking shoes. Make sure they are comfortable and break them in well before hitting the trail. ( I wear mine to work for a couple of weeks to break them in. ) Your old boots are probably ready for retirement and manufacturers have made good strides in the last few years on comfort and support. I tend to wear off the tread on my boots in about a years time so I get a new pair yearly. I usually wear trail runners but have a pair of Teva's that have served me well on hikes including the Peralta trail loop.

If this doesn't take care of the pain, find a podiatrist who deals with runners. Good luck! 8)
*sighs*.... Well, add a few $$ to what I thought was a cheap sport :O

Do you have any suggestions about a quality hiking store that could provide good hiking boots in the phoenix area?

olesma
Grand Canyon Warbler

Post by olesma » Dec 04 2002 9:48 am

REI always springs to mind. Popular to a lesser degree, although they will have a few boots that REI doesn't have.

Do yourself a favor though and set asside a good deal of time for each place shop at. Plan on at least an hour per shop. Try on EVERYTHING that might even possibly work. Don't just try on one and say "That's the one!" - it may very well be the one, but do yourself a favor and find out if there is another boot that might be even better.

Ignore what everyone tells you and go with what feels best for you. Hard to do, especially if you have a good salesperson - but if you have a REALLY good salesperson, that's what they'll tell you anyway.

Good luck finding a boot/shoe/sandal that works for you.
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein

Wiz
Gun-totin' kokopelli

Post by Wiz » Dec 04 2002 9:56 am

Hiking Shack up on Cave Creek Road.
"The older I get, the better I was."

CindyC
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by CindyC » Dec 04 2002 10:05 am

I have found the REI in PV to be the best place to try things out and not feel like you are being pressured. I live in Tempe but drive out there for this reason. I have gone there for footwear, packs and such, tried things on and walked around the store looking at other things until I have decided if they are right for me or not. They have never tried to 'sell' me on things or tell me what would work better for me as they do in Tempe. I think it is definitly worth the drive. And that's my two cents :wink:
'Achievement lies within the reach of those who reach beyond themselves'

azhiker96
No Trace Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Dec 04 2002 11:36 am

"*sighs*.... Well, add a few $$ to what I thought was a cheap sport :O

Do you have any suggestions about a quality hiking store that could provide good hiking boots in the phoenix area?"

I'm pretty stingy on dollars but accountants have a good way of looking at these things, amortize. If you spend $120 for hiking shoes once a year that's $10 a month to hike in comfort. I watch for sales and get by for $80 or less a pair. REI tends to have knowledgable people and they have the most liberal return policy available. I'm getting a new pair of boots for my B-day later this month so the price on those is FREE to me! Christmas is just around the corner. Drop subtle hints with your spouse, SO, or parents. :)

desertgirl
Bika pelli

Post by desertgirl » Dec 06 2002 2:18 pm

olesma wrote:Do yourself a favor though and set asside a good deal of time for each place shop at. Plan on at least an hour per shop. Try on EVERYTHING that might even possibly work. Don't just try on one and say "That's the one!" - it may very well be the one, but do yourself a favor and find out if there is another boot that might be even better.

Ignore what everyone tells you and go with what feels best for you..
I totally agree here. Take your time ..even if it means a 2nd trip. I would also highly recommend inserts. REI has Superfeet and they work great. Try them out before you enter thr relm of custom inserts.

Abe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Dec 07 2002 6:06 am

ellehcim wrote:
azhiker96 wrote:Mike, here's my answer to your question. I routinely do lengthy hikes and my feet do not hurt during or after the hike. ( Hikes range from 10 to 20 miles. )

*sighs*.... Well, add a few $$ to what I thought was a cheap sport :O

Do you have any suggestions about a quality hiking store that could provide good hiking boots in the phoenix area?
I'm out of Prescott Valley, but I am sure Phoenix has 'em. I go to Populars in Prescott and I favor Hi Techs. They have never failed me. But it can cost $$$ and I am quilty of having footwear for different occassion. Hi Tech, Teva, Merrills, and I did break down and recently purchased a pair of New Balance for running, giving up my Nike. One other thought, when you break during your hikes, do you pull of your boots and socks, massage your feet, wiggle your toes, then when you leave put on a dry pair of socks and your boots? Hanging your sweaty pair off your belt or pack and letting them air dry to use again when you break.

Return to “General”